Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas needed for three course romantic meal

Options
  • 12-08-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

It's my boyfriend's birthday this weekend and I'd like to cook him a yummy dinner- starter, main and dessert!
    I'm quite a good cook, but have issues with using my imagination; we have the same sort of dinners all the time. I wanna branch out and try something completely new.

Any ideas on what to cook? We like a wide range of foods, including spicy (medium). I'd prefer to steer clear of fish, chorizo, veal, venison and anything with mushrooms or olives. Other than that, we'll eat pretty much anything.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just started making my own pasta - and it's REALLLLLLY easy.

How about an Italian night? Get some great tomatoes - make a bruschetta pomodoro for starters. Then ravioli for mains - whatever stuffing you think he'd like? And tiramisu for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What about duck rolls for starter? mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

king-stew wrote: »

you can't go wrong with desert - desert - desert

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Dermo wrote: »
    you can't go wrong with desert - desert - desert

Might get a little thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

king-stew wrote: »

Like spring rolls? I'm a mad fan of duck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Like spring rolls? I'm a mad fan of duck!

Saw this on Market Kitchen, looked great. http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/633118

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

having a romantic meal is as much about the setting as the food so imo keep it simple; set the table nicely, pull out the matching glasses, have candles, nice background music, get rid of any pets from the area; and make sure you include time to get ready yourself, make-up (if you wear it), hair etc just like you would if you were going out.

As for the food starter something light but flavourful like mixed leaves salad (heavy on the rocket) with roast peppers and goats cheese; mains I'm not so good at but maybe something that can go in the oven so you have time to set table etc with no panic, and for dessert something decidant and easy to share like chocolate mousse - think m&s food ads for what I mean - hehe!

Hope this is some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

spaceylou wrote: »
    having a romantic meal is as much about the setting as the food so imo keep it simple; set the table nicely, pull out the matching glasses, have candles, nice background music, get rid of any pets from the area; and make sure you include time to get ready yourself, make-up (if you wear it), hair etc just like you would if you were going out.

As for the food starter something light but flavourful like mixed leaves salad (heavy on the rocket) with roast peppers and goats cheese; mains I'm not so good at but maybe something that can go in the oven so you have time to set table etc with no panic, and for dessert something decidant and easy to share like chocolate mousse - think m&s food ads for what I mean - hehe!

Hope this is some help!

This is fantastic advice, thanks. I'll definitly plan an outfit and lovely hair and make up. I love goat's cheese but never had it with peppers! Oh, decisions decisions!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Starters:
    Tempura-coated king prawns with wasabi mayonnaise, mixed salad
    Fresh oysters with shallot vinaigrette
    Red onion tart tartin with goats cheese

For mains:
    Rib-eye steak, garlic butter, italian potatoes, green beans
    Roast chicken, demi glace sauce, sautéed carrots and mustard mash

For dessert:
    Warm chocolate fondant or tart, Baileys ice-cream
    White chocolate Pannacotta with Passionfruit
    Lemon creme brulee, cinnamon sablées

Maybe making his favourite food is the most romantic gesture of all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

The first time I tried to cook my boyfriend a romantic dinner it was a disaster because I over-complicated things, got mad stressed and then couldn't enjoy myself. The food turned out fine but the atmosphere was terrible! In this vein, definitely definitely keep it simple. Make food that can be mostly made in advance so you're not in the kitchen for ages when your boyfriend is there. Maybe a nice salad to start, some roasted meat for mains and a dessert that can be prepared in advance and left in the fridge, like a mousse or a tiramisu?

Good luck!

Advertisement