Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Challenge Roth

• 12-08-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey,

Just signed up for Quelle Challenge Roth,

Can anyone who did it recommend any places to stay?

Cheers,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

We stayed at
    www.express-schwabach.de
    this year and it was pretty good. just over €100 average per room per night including breakfast. They were very accommodating to triathletes (spearate bike room, early breakfasts, all you can eat buffets etc). it was about 20km from Roth directly along the motorway. Accommodation in Roth itself is very limited and books out before the race is full. There is a good campsite that usually has availability quite late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paul_d1studio

Thanks for that,

hotel sound very accommodation alright.

Cheers,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hey Paul,

How are you travelling to Roth?
    I am thinking of doing it also, but can't see the flight options yet as it is more than 330 days away.

Anyone got an opinion on Roth as an event? Anyone on here done it?

What is the main difference, if any, between an Mdot event and a challenge event.

Cheers,

NT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hey Paul,

How are you travelling to Roth?
    I am thinking of doing it also, but can't see the flight options yet as it is more than 330 days away.

Anyone got an opinion on Roth as an event? Anyone on here done it?

What is the main difference, if any, between an Mdot event and a challenge event.

Cheers,

NT

My list to do one day.

Nearest airport is to Roth is Nuremburg which is only 30k away but Munich is next and probably more accessible from Ireland
    Only difference between Mdot and challenge is the expensive branding in the former.

Loads of positive feedback about Roth 2010. Seems to be one of the best there is out there. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paul_d1studio

Probably going to fly to Munich. Not too far from there.

I was a spectator in 2008. Had originally signed up but pulled out.
    Unfortunately that was the year where every ironman across europe
    was a rainfest. Roth was no different. Lashed rain for most of the day. From a spectator point of view, it's not the best race to go and watch. Vaguely remember it being a figure 8 type run. We seen our mates twice on the bikes, but only once on the run. Most of that gang stayed in Nuremberg too.

The race finish area was excellent, unfortunately the torrential downpour took away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Was there this year - 2 mates did the full IM, few more of us did the relay.

If you're using one of the travel companies like Nirvana they will pick you up from Munich airport. They're quite expensive though and if you're keen to do it independently then we found the best deal was to fly Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Nuremberg. We stayed in Nuremberg in the NH City hotel which was pretty good and right beside the train station. Roth is a small village about 20 mins away on the train. Train tickets are about €4.50 each way and they run every 20 mins.

Roth was the first IM that I'd been to and I thought that it had an amazing atmosphere. I found the relay to be strange though - I did the marathon part and spent a lot of the race passing suffering IM runners. Don't think I'd do it again (as a relay) but the guys who did the individual IM were full of praise for the event.

Advertisement