Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drynam, Kinsealy, Swords?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Now that the rush to develop every green space is over for a while maybe we should re-visit some of the names we gave to some of our estates. One of the craziest ones for me is Kinsealy (the Drynam Road one, not the real one). This lies within the boundaries of Swords, yet is called Kinsealy. So either Drynam, which is the original townland has gone into Kinsealy or the whole of Kinsealy has been taken over by Swords. But a Kinsealy, Swords address is not logical - it can't be both. I know people who live further out from Swords and actually nearer Kinsealy then the Kinsealy estate and have Swords addresses and not Kinsealy ones. It always was a bit of an insult to the people of Drynam to just eliminate their townland because it was thought that higher house prices would be available if Kinsealy was used. It was an insult to the people of Kinsealy to just move their village (or create another one) and it was an insult to Swords. Maybe it is time to correct the mistakes now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I live in fake Kinsealy myself so I'll just make that clear.

I was under the impression the townland was called Drinam and not Drynam, not to be confused with the estates called Drynam and the road Drynam. Acording to this, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kinsealy/

Feltrim, Baskin, Kinsaley etc. are all within the townland of Kinsealy.

Just with regard to postal address, postal addresses are used to help get your post delivered, my post is sorted by Swords Post Office, in the same vein if you Live on the Laois/Carlow border, near the Carlow post office but within the county of Laois, you're postal address will bare Carlow at the bottom, not Laois.

You just sound like one of those snobby Old Kinsealy people, there's nothing up there except some old buildings and a 24 hour garage. There's no precise placename to protect.

Where is your post delivered as a matter of interest? Malahide? Coolock? Where do you go to get your passport application form stamped? Malahide? Just curious.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20508&page=2 a more substantial post on my behalf on another forum, it's Drinan not Drinam the townland is referred to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wifi123

I am not from Kinsealy and left Drynam a long time ago, so to be honest I haven't a clue where Kinsealy people go for passports. But fair play to you at least you have looked into the thing a bit. Historically Drynam was called Drinan, but has been Drynam colloquially for at least 100 years. Drynam House used to stand roughly where the Kinsealy Inn is now. Feltrim, Baskin and Kinsealy are all in within the Kinsealy parish - but Drynam is not and the Kinsealy estate is within the Drynam borders.

The Kinsealy parish ends at the end of Feltrim which is before Drynam. Drynam people have always used Swords for Police, Voting, Passports etc. An address with Kinsealy, Swords isn't possible, the same way an address Santry, Swords isn't possible - they are just two different places and it can't be in both. The address of any of the old houses in Drynam is simply Drynam, Swords. There is nothing snobby about it - a place is where it is. Historically, geographically, legally and colloquially the townland of Drynam (which is the area between the end of Kettles lane and where the old Drynam river crosses the road, roughly where the motorway crosses now) is in Swords - and as an ex Drynam person (not Kinsealy!), I was perfectly ok with that.

It is under a mile from the Kinsealy estate to the Pavilion in Swords - Swords must be a very small place if it's borders are so close to the town - you can travel 5 miles out on the West side of Swords and still be in the parish, but then again there isn't a Kinsealy or Malahide over there that people want to claim. To be honest I don't really care where people want to be from, it is just a bit sad that old traditions are just changed by the stroke of someones pen. I know some people now dead and gone who would be amused to discover that they mistakenly thought they were from Swords all their lives.

Where is Drynam? and is drynam in swords? Is melrose park estate in swords or drynam?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

What does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

House prices usually or just the plain old snob factor! There was the famous one about the road in d11 that went on for years. The older residents in the area said it was always part of Ballymun while the residents on the road said it was in Glasnevin. Its one of those old chestnuts that rises every so often. My sister lives in Lusk but her next door neighbour, that lives closer to Lusk insists on putting Skerries on there own address instead of Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Reasonable points made though, the places were technically separate townlands for many years. Anywhere within a 3 mile radius of Swords tends to have been subsumed, no doubt for conveniences sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

What does it matter?

Well i think it can matter with regards someone's identity and relationship with the town they are a part of (or not).

I would love to know where I live :)

dsmythy wrote: »
    Well i think it can matter with regards someone's identity and relationship with the town they are a part of (or not).
    Hi, Your right. It is a bit sad that people who have had a Swords identity all their life and partcipated in that community and helped develop it are suddenly moved somewhere else by the stroke of a pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

wifi123 wrote: »
    Hi, Your right. It is a bit sad that people who have had a Swords identity all their life and partcipated in that community and helped develop it are suddenly moved somewhere else by the stroke of a pen.

As a matter of interest, who's pen?

As a matter of interest, who's pen?
    Good point - in this instance, the place hasn't been officially moved at all. It is still Swords with a Swords address. But the general perception is that it isn't Swords. This was the intended perception (I assume), when the developer started using Kinsealy in the name. To my mind that is not the biggest crime in the world, he just wanted to make a few extra euro by giving the place a different name. The problem is that he should not have been let by Fingal Co Co, it is at the least, false advertising.

I don't think you'd get more money for property labelled swords rather than kinsealy amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I don't think you'd get more money for property labelled swords rather than kinsealy amirite?

It could work the other way too, though.

I don't think either is a better label? Maybe that's just me. But the majority of people who aren't from NCD or not Taxi drivers don't know where Kinsealy is. I can see Malahide being a better label than Swords or Kinsealy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I don't think either is a better label? Maybe that's just me. But the majority of people who aren't from NCD or not Taxi drivers don't know where Kinsealy is. I can see Malahide being a better label than Swords or Kinsealy.

The Squire of Kinsealy made the place popular when he bought his grattan house there. When you ask anyone about Kinsealy not from NCD they only really know the road to Malahide with the big expensive houses so its a bit more prestige than Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A trip down to the legal deeds land registry offices in the four courts will demonstrate that this Is Kinsealy. Legal records and land deeds dating back hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Drynam Hall was sold as Kinsealy, separate to the Swords electoral area but it has a Swords postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

clunked wrote: »
    Drynam Hall was sold as Kinsealy, separate to the Swords electoral area but it has a Swords postal address.

No - this is incorrect - it is Kinsealy - legal land registry documents & deeds for the land as it always has been - Kinsealy - and as this new estate is officially registered are all available at the four courts legal land registry office with legal documents going back hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I live on kettles lane where Drynam is located and my postal address is Kinsealy my polling district is Malahide west and my local Garda station is Malahide. i checked it out with the land registry for the value of my home for the property tax and i am in the townland of Kinsealy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I wouldn't think so; not as a rule anyway... Chapel Road/Kinsaley Lane side of the Malahide Road would probably fetch a premium over Swords

Advertisement