Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofu - what to do with it

Options
  • 12-08-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I like Tofu, I really do - but only when someone else has cooked it. I love it in stirfrys, or soup, or noodle dishes or even salads but when I buy the stuff and try to cook it myself - the usual result is a bland, tastless, burnt (the time I tryed grilling) disaster.

Has anyone any disaster-proof tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Cut it so it's about half an inch in thickness, I prefer cubes of it, but some people say triangles or strips. Make sure you get as much of the water it comes in out, then fry it slowly. I've never used an oil with tofu, and I don't think you're supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

My favourite way is to marinate and bake it, something like this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/MARINATED-BAKED-TOFU-1267592

What type of tofu are you using? It's cheapest in asian markets, but not as firm as the ones you can buy in normal supermarkets. Cauldron tofu or the one sold in Dunnes in white plastic packaging are both good. I cut it into slices or cubes, and squeeze the water out, either wrap it in a teatowel and put something heavyish on it, or just squeeze the water out with your hands. Then put it into a 'lock and lock' type container, so you can put the marinade on and just turn it upside down every now and again to get the marinade all over. I usually do it for about a half an hour, but you can marinate overnight if you want. Then bake in the oven until it's nice and chewy, turning it over halfway through.

I prefer to do it this way for stirfries etc. if I have time, it's easier than faffing about with the frying pan. You can adjust the marinade depending on your taste or what you're having with it. It's good done this way, in slices, to go with spuds and veg, with gravy, instead of meat. Or on a salad. Or for a sandwich. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

+1 to the recipe above, very reliable marinade. A pinch of cayenne is good too for a bit of a kick. Going mad with the garlic is also recommended! 5 cloves or more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

thanks for the tips folks - keep them coming!

Going to try some of them after my next grocery shop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Cut into dice-sized cubes, place in colander, salt lightly and toss. Leave to drain for 30 mins. Tofu is very moist and bland. Salting will remove excess moisture, concentrating the flavour and at the same time add seasoning.

Pat dry, then shallow-fry in hot oil. A tastier option is to dust the pieces with flour, coat with beaten egg, then dried breadcrumbs, and deep-fry. Serve with a soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chili, lime and sesame oil dressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Pat dry, then shallow-fry in hot oil. A tastier option is to dust the pieces with flour, coat with beaten egg, then dried breadcrumbs, and deep-fry. Serve with a soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chili, lime and sesame oil dressing.

Oh wow. That sounds fantastic.

tofu was included in yesterday's grocery shop so going to try marinate it and then fry cause I won't have time to bake it......will then add it to a stir fry - will let you know how I get on.

Reporting Back:

I mixed soya sauce, garlic, ginger, and chili together for marinade - let some Tofu hang out in that for about 45mins and then slow fryed it. Half got added to my stir fry veg for dinner other half got mixed with salad for todays lunch - delicious both times.

Still have half a block of tofu left so might try baking it tomorrow!! Thanks again for all the tips guys :D

Advertisement