Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for first years

• 12-08-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Starting in A.I.T. as a first year, Any students here like to share tips or
    info about the college, best places to go out etc
    Also does anyone know when first years need to move down! Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The college itself isn't too big if you're going to be a Business/Science student. Everythings all under the one roof and easy to find. The library is also located in the same building, as is the canteen, so everything is well within walking distance of each other. If you're an Engineering/Social Studies/Vetinary, they are located mostly outside of the main building, with Engineering in the newly built Engineering block, while the other two are in an area located just outside of the campus. Again, the whole area is fairly small so they're also well within walking distance.

The Gym is located just off the main building and is pretty popular with both students and non-students. The office beside the Gym deals with Astro Turf bookings and such.

Things can be nervewrecking at first, just be yourself and relax, you'll be chatting away with your new classmates as if they've always been your friends :)

The lecturers around AIT are (mostly) very friendly. Some will even join you for a few drinks for a night out! They're very approachable, and if you're in doubt or need any help of any kind, they're happy to help you.

The Student Union would be of help for anything college/accomodation/social life related too.

The best place to start off on a night out is the student bar, Scribes. After a while, you'll get to know the area better and take trips out to the town, there's a far better choice of places like Sean's bar. There's 3 main nightclubs in the town. Genesis is located 3 minutes from the college, while Q and Karma are in town, both close to each other and a taxi rank sandwiched between.

Once you get your CAO results and your offers, I suggest you start looking for a place to stay asap. Most 2nd, 3rd and 4th years would have snapped up the best accomodation, leaving 1st years with sub-par accomodation. Steer clear from anything Willow Park related, it's not the best area to be living in. Anywhere else is fine and reasonably priced. The Student Untion usually provides a large list of registered college accomodations for anyone, so if you got time to pop down there before college starts, I recommend going there.

Hope that helps, good luck with your college course, and enjoy your stay in Athlone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Thanks for that Cherryghost, really helpful information. Have already been looking at accomadation would advise anyone to steer clear of willow park. A.I.T. sounds like
    a great place to study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

And if you happen to get lost (it's easy enough to find your way around, but it's not impossible to get lost), ask anyone around you. I'm sure the vast majority of students will point you in the right direction.

Bottom line, relax, be yourself, and don't be afraid to ask anyone for help.
    Hope you enjoy your time in AIT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The area around the college is like a little village itself, shop, pubs, takeaways, pharmacy, bookies and a lot of students around. Hardly any need to go into the town itself.

Scribes is a good spot, it's inside the college itself and is a very student orientated as you'd imagine. The TackRoom is a good pub for a quiet drinks, Charlie Browns is a good spot to watch the football if that's your thing. You'll probably end up in Genisis, but you will get sick of it quick. Q is good on a Wednesday, Karma on Thursday, both in the town itself.

Willow is probably the cheapest area to live in, wouldn't live there myself, better areas to live imo. There a good few estates the otherside of the college, opposite to Willow, generally they are more quieter but there should be plenty of options.

I think first years are back two weeks into September sometime, not sure though. Anyways, Athlone is a good spot, not too big and not too small. I'm sure you'll have a blast :)

EDIT Seems the first years are back the 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Is the gym free for students? Also I was wondering what sports/societys are there besides hurling/hockey??

Whats the parking like?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Not sure about gym/sports, but the parking has generally been quite packed and hard to get a spot during the day, as far as I know. However there's a new parking area coming along with the new engineering building, so that should help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

Irishchick wrote: »
    Is the gym free for students? Also I was wondering what sports/societys are there besides hurling/hockey??

Whats the parking like?

Thanks!

Section here on the clubs/societies:
    http://www.ait.ie/informationforcurrentstudents/clubsandsocieties/

As far as I know the gym is €100 for the college year

Thanks. Do you have to pay for the parking?

I don't drive and this is my 1st year in the main campus so I'm not the ideal person to ask, but I think there's some sort of disc/ticket type thing you pay for and it does you for the year or a certain period of time - check out yourself the exact details though i'm not 100% sure on it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You pay a yearly fee and stick in your car, can't remember how much it is though. I remember they brought it in and there was uproar, cars getting clamped everywhere. :rolleyes: Parking can be a nightmare too unless you're in for classes at 9, anytime after it's very difficult to park on campus.

• Advertisement

I found the information on accomadation here much more helpful than looking
    online myself, Might be a help to other first years
    http://www.aitsu.ie/accomodation.html

Does anyone have any recommendations for club/societies? How often they meet etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Regarding parking, you need a permit. Permits are available to every student and is tied to your cars registration, and were 10 euro in 2008/2009, I think they were 10 last year as well, I can't remember.
    Unfortunately while permits are unlimited, spaces are not. It's first come, first served. If you park illegally (i.e. on a curb, in a staff car park etc..) you will be clamped. Fines were 90 euro last year, don't know what the story is this year.

I think first years are supplied with a college map, showing the car parks and which are for staff, students or both. If you're close enough to the college, walk in, it saves a lot of hassle, for you and other students.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    If you're close enough to the college, walk in, it saves a lot of hassle, for you and other students.

Im not unfortunatly. i live 45 mins from Athlone.

Thanks angel. What are the first 2 weeks like? do they ease you in or is it straight into lectures lol?

You'll probably start lectures properly in the 2nd week, maybe a little bit at the end of the 1st week. But the first week will be mostly about what you're gonna be doing through the semester/year, and just familiarising yourself with your surroundings and facilities.

Im not unfortunatly. i live 45 mins from Athlone.

Then if it's anything like last year, you'll need to be there at 8.45 to get a spot. (on the main campus, there'll still be spaces at across the road near the nurses campus, but that fills up quick around / after 9).

Where's the nearest parking after those have been taken up?

Thought this might be helpful regarding parking.
    http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/parking/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Where's the nearest parking after those have been taken up?

Some brave characters chance parking up on the curbs in Willow, right across the road from the college and at no cost :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

Any one know were you can get a cheap place to stay for a few nites in athlone?, i have to take a test

• Advertisement

no places that are particularly cheap for one night. Think most b&b's are about 50/60 for a night.

Does anyone know if a bus service operates form the college to the town, how often
    and what they charge? Thanks

There's two services, Bus Éireann and and Flagline. You generally won't be waiting much more than 10-15 mins (usually shorter), but there's the odd time you can be waiting longer, so leave plenty of time just in case.

Popple3 wrote: »
    There's two services, Bus Éireann and and Flagline. You generally won't be waiting much more than 10-15 mins (usually shorter), but there's the odd time you can be waiting longer, so leave plenty of time just in case.
    Thanks popple3 10-15 minutes is a short wait, thought it would be a lot longer.

Popple3, is Flagline still going? I thought they'd finished..?

Is there an area in the library for charging your laptop if you need to bring it
    with you?

Flagline are still on the go. Think they reduce services during the summer but start full service around the end of August.

angelxx, there are limited plugs in the library, but not officially intended for laptop charging. Remember to mute your sound or disable operating system sounds, can be quite annoying. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

angelxx wrote: »
    Is there an area in the library for charging your laptop if you need to bring it
    with you?

Ya if you go to the tables around the edge they ususally have plug nearby, or near a pillar.
    The librarians come around every now and again and give out if the wires are raised off the ground, so make sure that they are on the ground and not a trip hazard.
    And bring earplugs or earphones, the library is the noisest place in the college :eek:and the librarians are the biggest culprits! :mad:you are better off going down into one of the corners (with earplugs) and you will be grand!!!

teaholic wrote: »
    Ya if you go to the tables around the edge they ususally have plug nearby, or near a pillar.
    The librarians come around every now and again and give out if the wires are raised off the ground, so make sure that they are on the ground and not a trip hazard.
    And bring earplugs or earphones, the library is the noisest place in the college :eek:and the librarians are the biggest culprits! :mad:you are better off going down into one of the corners (with earplugs) and you will be grand!!!
    Thanks for that, Thought it might be the best place to get study done. I know they
    use moodle etc so will probably need to bring the laptop up.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Flagline is 1.50 for a return ticket last time I checked.

The Library also facilitates laptops at the study desks, some of them have plug points nearby, not all of them though. Otherwise, theres 6 PC labs right above the library that are usually open til late

Advertisement