Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for first years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

Irishchick wrote: »
    Has anyone got any info in the post yet about starting dates:confused:

I havent heard anything and there's only a bit over a week to go!

Not heard anything from the college yet. Was thinking I would have heard from them by now.

Anyone have any info on starting dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

1st years are starting on the 6th and 7th from what i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Flashpoint

I haven't heard anything from the college yet, I rang about 2 weeks ago and they said they would sent out registration packs at the end of the month, after leaving cert results came out. Still nothing tho

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

dotsflan wrote: »
    1st years are starting on the 6th and 7th from what i hear

Monday week! :eek: :eek:

Seems pretty early.
    Hopefully we will hear from the college today.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Pretty sure it's the 7th. Got an email today saying the student enquiry desk will be closed that day because of registration of 1st years. It's definitely sometime that week anyway.

As for hearing from the college, I'd imagine they'll wait until the window for accepting CAO offers is closed, and do everyone in bulk. Makes more sense IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Popple3 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's the 7th. Got an email today saying the student enquiry desk will be closed that day because of registration of 1st years. It's definitely sometime that week anyway.

As for hearing from the college, I'd imagine they'll wait until the window for accepting CAO offers is closed, and do everyone in bulk. Makes more sense IMO.
    I heard they went send out info before the end of August, hopefully will hear from them
    early next week. I think regarding starting dates nursing students start the 6th and everyone else on the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

Tuesday week so..
    Anybody else excited/Petrified at the same time?
    How does the first day work out of intrest?

Tuesday week so..
    Yes I'm really looking forward to going but equally nervous! I think everyone is feeling the same. I was wondering the same thing, not sure what we'll be doing the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

angelxx wrote: »
    Yes I'm really looking forward to going but equally nervous! I think everyone is feeling the same. I was wondering the same thing, not sure what we'll be doing the first day.

I'm planning on just turning up on Monday morning and having people tell me where to go :)

So screwed when people send me the wrong way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

Tuesday week so..

You turn up in the Multi-Purpose Hall and pick up a sort of welcome bag with brochures/magazines/free pen/condoms/blah-de-blah in them and there's an area where you queue to get your photo taken for your student card to be done up on the spot.
    (So make sure ye're all lookin' smashing - unlike me since I was at a house party the week before I started and had part of my head shaved bald when I conked out :o so I had to shave the rest off meself..)

Then you'll be given a sheet depending on which course you're doing telling you which room to go to - and off yous go from there :)

That's the way it was with us a couple of years ago anyways

• Advertisement

BlueNemo wrote: »
    I'm planning on just turning up on Monday morning and having people tell me where to go smile.gif

So screwed when people send me the wrong way rolleyes.gif
    There'll be students around in AIT t-shirts directing people around, so there'll be plenty around to ask for (accurate) directions. Possibly including myself

Popple3 wrote: »
    There'll be students around in AIT t-shirts directing people around, so there'll be plenty around to ask for (accurate) directions. Possibly including myself

Ooooh, nice one, the few times I've been in AIT I've gotten lost :o

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Ooooh, nice one, the few times I've been in AIT I've gotten lost :o
    Directions will come in handy the first day, The one and only time I was there I got lost
    too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Im really looking forward to it now. Hope next week goes fast :p

So does AIT post off any kinda info letters to us? Just wondering, some other friends in different colleges have :rolleyes:

They should be sent out soon. You should get a little bit of info and registration forms to bring in on the first day. I'd say you should get it by Wednesday at the latest (maybe Thursday, not 100% sure)

Just recieved registration forms, (Bright and early) It's very basic information registration is on the 7th from 11.30 and lectures commence on Thursday 9th. Also recieved a letter from the cao
    confirming acceptance of my course.

angelxx wrote: »
    Just recieved registration forms, (Bright and early) It's very basic information registration is on the 7th from 11.30 and lectures commence on Thursday 9th. Also recieved a letter from the cao
    confirming acceptance of my course.

+ 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Is anyone doing Science and have any idea what time we're meant to be in at tomorrow?!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a locker and how do you go about it? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Not sure how to get one angelxx, but if you don't get a reply here, go ask in the Student Union tomorrow (or whenever), they should know

Thanks Popple3, Don't really need one except we are not allowed to bring bags into the library.

We're not..? :confused: That's news to me... And I'm a 3rd year...
    I was just in there on Friday (first time since induction other than helping someone with their laptop :rolleyes:) with my laptop bag, nothing was said to me

Perhaps we got a talk by a very strict librarian :o She told us to leave them in lockers if we are going in to study. Is that the case with the other years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

They always say you're not allowed to bring bags into the library but they never enforce it. I always bring my bag in and nobody ever says a thing. Or maybe they're going to enforce it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

lockers are obtained from the students union, you pay to use one plus a deposit.
    The lockers outside the library are coin operated (coin is returned when key is), although people tend to use them as personal lockers, they're supposed to be emptied at the end of each day, and key returned etc... As you can see, there are very little free ones available. This was brought up numerous rep meetings with different student unions (the 3 years I was there). Nothing was resolved.

As mentioned, you are not allowed bags in the library, but it's not enforced as there are no available lockers to store your bags etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    As mentioned, you are not allowed bags in the library, but it's not enforced as there are no available lockers to store your bags etc...

Aye, it's a major issue alright. Would make more sense if the locker keys were available at the library counter itself, or the cafeteria at least, instead of allowing them to be taken at their own free will. People take the keys and never return them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The bag issue isnt being inforced you wont have any problems bringing them in

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bizebee

is there wireless access in the library itself? because it would be easier to work on my own laptop than pcs in the college?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

For some reason i can never really pick up the student wireless in the library, and even when i do it won't connect. It's a bit of a bitch because it would come in handy when doing research, instead of having to wait for one of the computers in the library to be free. I doubt they'll do anything about it this year.

Advertisement