Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB XC - what to wear (normally peeling a wet T shirt off myself after two hours)

• 12-08-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Concerned that a really wet T shirt is going to lead to a flu in the winter.

Ive heard of the term wicking and base layers. Anyone any ideas / suggestions / brands etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

worded wrote: »

Ive heard of the term wicking and base layers. Anyone any ideas / suggestions / brands etc ?

Hav a look at "Under Armour" base layers, fantastic stuff, keeps you warm but not clammy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Try Merino Wool Base Layers! keep you warm even when wet. I use icebreaker or endura ba ba they are perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i use adidas clima cool and zoot gear, endura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi,

Any really "Technical T-Shirt" will do you for when your on the MTB, you can be lucky and grab a very good value one in Lidl/Aldi when they come about or as mentioned above there are loads of brands that folks choose.

I like Helly Handsen, they can be pricy but are well proven and last forever. You could always pick up some MTB Jerseys from Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle or the like.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

worded wrote: »

This is the cheapo's guide:
    All my gear is cheap because it just ends up filthy - I have 2 Nike pro-core compression* yokes (probably similar to the Adidas clima cool) that were going cheap (€12) as base layers for not so cold days, and a thicker Champion branded one from JJB (€10 I'd say) for colder days. Lidl/Aldi for a short sleeve jersey and a long sleeve. Although you can get handy deals on the "bicycle line" jerseys in Halfords regular deals/offers.

On a related cheapskate note - I picked up Nike trail running shoes (Nike Alvord) from the Nike store in killarney for €27 - perfect for MTBing on flat pedals.

*You'll need a jersey over these or you'll look like Dafydd from Little Britain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Are you just wearing a t-shrit or are you wearing a t-shirt under a cycling jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

if the cycle socks in Lidl are anything to go by stear well clear, put them in a wash with my shirts and the little bit of red that was on the socks managed to colour my shirts red - lethal, was a cold wash too!

In all essence your gonna be cycling, so you wont get too cold, as said i use a clima cool short sleeved top, when it gets cold(obviously in winter) i use a zoot jacket such as a zoot nanoshell, along with your cycle gloves you will be well cosy! on long treks your gonna get sweaty one way or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A cycling jersey is the way to go (built for it really), just be careful about putting multi-tools and assorted hard bits in the pockets as they could cause additional damage when you have an off. A saddle pack or camelbak is a good idea for car keys, tools, spare mech hangers etc.

Same for shorts, just because there are pockets doesn't mean that you should use them, most people seem to be wearing a jersey on top and baggies on the bottom. If you really are allergic to the idea of a lycra top then a rugby jersey is the next best thing.

Gloves are a good idea especially when there is gorse involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Basically you just need something in modern synthetic fibres. Or indeed wool. Something that doesn't hang on to all the perspiration, which is what cotton does. Any cycling-specific kit will do you well whether lycra or baggy MTB stuff. Proper road running tops will be similarly designed... but may as well go for the cycling-specific stuff. Avoid cotton, that is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Just wanted to agree on the rugby jersey suggestion, it's what I always wear on the bike

For those not keen on the lycra option, the new lightweight style of rugby jerseys are excellent - lightweight, wicking fabric and warm.

You can pick these up for less than 20 quid: http://www.alfiehale.com/images/prod_images/main/124-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

These are highly recomended. I need something for winter so long sleeves are the way to go. (so rugby tops are out / unless there are long sleeve ones) I have a water proof jacket.

Endura Superlite Shell Shorts From €59.79
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=19369

Helly Hansen Lifa Stripe Crew From €21.19
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Summer - Lidl base layer tshirt
    Winter - Lidl base layer tshirt with waterproof jacket over. Microfibre fleece in the bag for rest stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

concussion wrote: »
    Summer - Lidl base layer tshirt
    Winter - Lidl base layer tshirt with waterproof jacket over. Microfibre fleece in the bag for rest stops.

When is the Lidl winter stuff due in, does it last long on the shelves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I reckon the best thing is to check their website, they usually give a bit of notice when they're bringing new lines in. I don't use their winter stuff myself, just the wicking tshirts as a cheapo alternative to Dryflo.

Edit - Crane Sports is the brand to be looking for in Lidl/Aldi. I got the Coolmax/Polyester mix tshirt for less than a tenner.

Advertisement