Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes price hike

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If you double the price, much more people will buy black market cigarettes / go to NI etc, costing the exchequer billions.

and if you drop the price, the exchequer will take in less per pack, and people are less likely to quit because of the price, so will cost the HSE more

bit of a no win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

and if you drop the price, the exchequer will take in less per pack, and people are less likely to quit because of the price, so will cost the HSE more

bit of a no win

But you're not factoring in the black market/illegal imports into that.
    The exchequer already lose out at the current prices. Dropping prices might allow them to compete with the smugglers and cut the amount of non-duty paid (and questionable quality) cigarettes on sale, thus actually boosting the exchequer take in the long run.
    But the government isn't known for it's logical decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 amandaw

i was charged 8.92 a couple of weeks ago for 20 john player blue in tesco..got them today in the same one and was only charged 8.50...can they just change prices when they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

they will probably be going up again in december - don't be surprised if they are 9 - 9.50 euro per pack. i know people will say they will give them up if they hit that price, but in reality people won't give them up , they will put it off until they hit the 10 euro mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

amandaw wrote: »
    i was charged 8.92 a couple of weeks ago for 20 john player blue in tesco..got them today in the same one and was only charged 8.50...can they just change prices when they want?

In short, YES. But they cannot sell below 7.75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But they cannot sell below 7.75
    Is this the actual law? Or is it just the duty limit. i.e. they can sell booze below cost and I would have presumed they could subsidise the duty on that booze and sell it below the actual duty level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

rubadub wrote: »
    Is this the actual law? Or is it just the duty limit. i.e. they can sell booze below cost and I would have presumed they could subsidise the duty on that booze and sell it below the actual duty level.

Best reference I can find I am afraid.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0304/cigarettes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Simple answer, switch to rollie. If you can't roll get one of those rolling machines. A pack of Amber Leaf is €8.40 which comes with skins, a pack of filters is €1, and the pack of tobacco lasts me about 3 days on a 20 a day habit.

Or you can do what I do: Buy 6 cartons of the 50g (double the size of the packet here) in Spain for €30 a carton, which lasts me a year. Factor in filters and skins, and a years smoking costs me no more that €250/300, and I get a few days in the sunshine :cool: Compared to spending €3100 buying a pack a day for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Sue Rocks

Expensive habit now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

bongi69 wrote: »
    Simple answer, switch to rollie. If you can't roll get one of those rolling machines. A pack of Amber Leaf is €8.40 which comes with skins, a pack of filters is €1, and the pack of tobacco lasts me about 3 days on a 20 a day habit.

Or you can do what I do: Buy 6 cartons of the 50g (double the size of the packet here) in Spain for €30 a carton, which lasts me a year. Factor in filters and skins, and a years smoking costs me no more that €250/300, and I get a few days in the sunshine :cool: Compared to spending €3100 buying a pack a day for a year

^ This

Rollies are so much cheaper its insane. 25g pouch of tobacco is €8.40 in Ireland, 50g in say Holland is around €5.50. Rolling tobacco is cheaper everywhere in Europe, even England by a small amount. If I haven't had a friend visit mainland Europe in a while then I order Tobacco from the Spanish website e-tobaccos which still works out half the price compared to what you would pay here. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought tobacco in Ireland? I would say I spend max €300 a year on tobacco/skins/filters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah but they taste like sh*t...not as bad as dodgy imports but almost...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its funny I actually can't stand normal cigarettes now, Golden Virginia all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Djdukey

That's crazy if they go up. I don't understand how they could even think of raising the prices. I mean imagine if everyone quitted smoking? The government would lose loads of money.

Also as someone posted out about the cost smokers are having on the HSE. Aren't we paying enough bloody tax for it? Should you raise drink prices because of the cost alcoholics have on the health system? Should you put a tax on drivers because if they crash they have to go to hospital?

With all the stupid rules and regulations this country has (another story) this country is becoming like a bloody communist country. These ejits up in the Dail telling me what I can and can't do. And it all resolves around how much money they can take off us to fund their own pockets. Its a joke. Rant over.

It won't bother me though. Just back from Riga with a suitcase full of DUTY PAID cigarettes which will last me until FEB, when i will go back again. Flight €60 return, cigarettes €22.50 a carton. Love my Marlboro gold :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Djdukey

bit of a no win

And on the other hand. The exchequer will take in less per pack, sell more packs, people less likely to quit but with the extra sales of cigarettes there will be more money to help them :D You could also take it a step further and say that will all the extra smokers and extra problems they have there will be a need for more doctors and more nurses so more jobs.:rolleyes:

Its swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Here in Nairobi they're 1euro a pack :)

Advertisement