Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to recovery and maybe to new beginnings!

• 12-08-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start a new log. For the next few weeks it will be an achilles recovery log not a training log but once I'm fully healed I will most definately be getting back in to the running.

When I started my old log in November 2008 my aim was to start running consistently and run the Dublin Marathon in 2009. Well I achieved those aims and am very proud when I think of how I stuck to my training plan and overcame a multitude of injuries to get there. However the achilles injury which started to niggle me last August is still here a year later and has had a huge impact on my running - having to miss many races this year including DCM.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself and using this injury as an excuse to return to my couch loving days of old I have decided to finally deal with the injury and move on. Because I cant run at the moment I have discovered that there are other sports out there and Im using this time to find out if I have what it takes to maybe move into the world of Duathlons or even Tris:eek:

So here it is... a diary of my recovery from chronic achilles tendonosis and an exploration of what else the world of sport has to offer an overweight, lazy 31 year old mother of one:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Week 1
    Thursday 5th August: Had an excellent physio session with shockwave therapy and some electric type torture instrument. Have a plan and a positive outlook on this injury for the first time in ages. I have been given leg raising exercises to do every day. I wont keep writing them down- just take it that I am doing 15 x2 twice a day on the flat until I build up to the step.
    Friday 6th August: Day 1 of healthy eating. I have put on 10lbs since my wedding in April. I have decided to try to cut out the crap and eat more fruit and veg. I did 16 minutes at level 4 on the Rowing Machine- starting off easy:D
    Saturday 7th Aug: Bought an exercise bike. After many hours of wondering which would be better- a turbo trainer for my own bike or a stationary bike, I went with the cheaper option and got the exercise bike in Elverys for €129. I intend to use it to keep fit while I cant run. I want to cycle my own bike outside of course but it is very hilly round here and would aggreviate my achilles so its indoors infront of the tv for the next few weeks anyway.
    Sunday 8th Aug: 30 mins on the bike. Suprisingly good workout- got much sweattier than I expected.
    Monday 9th Aug: 45 minutes on the bike- my ass hurts!
    Tuesday 10th Aug: 6 hour round trip to Kenmare to buy kayaks. I am thrilled!!! I have wanted my own kayak for years. Cant wait till they are delivered on Friday.
    Wednesday 11th Aug: 17 minutes on Rowing Machine and 35 minutes on the bike. I have been doing some strength work on my upper body (will need it for lifting the kayaks onto the roof rack!). Just a few things like deadlifts and push ups. Must get a proper routine going.

Week one of recovery very successful if I say so myself- feeling very positive and excited by the new avenues opening up for me now that running isnt running my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Good to see the new log Bally8. Very jealous of your new kayaks! That will be fun. Best of luck with the rehab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Welcome back Bally8 :) with all that training going on you'll be back stronger and fitter than ever in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Bally8 - how was the honeymoon?

From the sounds of your physio sessions am i right in guessing you went to himself? If so, he's great isn't he? So you're thinking of duathlons. Funnily enough it was my achilles injury that put me on to the bike and now have 2 races lined up between now and october. If i hadn;t gotten injured i doubt i would have ever gotten the bike. Im really enjoying the cycling.

You will get over it if you do you're eccentric exercises and don't put unnessecary strain on it. Like i said, it was 4 months before i could run again but as annoying and heart braking some of that time was, it was all forgotten about once i was back running.

It's great to see your positive attitude about this - i wish i could have been as positive when i had the injury. Aqua jogging is also great if their are any classes near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with the new log and journey back to full fitness. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress with with duathon/triathlon as I have a thought in my head to try one after reading some logs here!

BTW from a fellow Clare person, that's a brave move to Tipp :D. Hope you won't be converted to the Blue and Gold!!

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hey Bally8 - how was the honeymoon?

From the sounds of your physio sessions am i right in guessing you went to himself? If so, he's great isn't he?

Honeymoon was fab thanks UL. We ate all round us, baked in the sun, swam with giant turtles, parasailed, snorkled, kayaked, ice skated, drank some booze and ate some more. Heaven!

As for the physio I wasnt able to get an appointment with the man himself so I'm seeing Angela and finding her great so far. She did the shockwave again today and the pins and needle machine thing and also dry needling. Im very confident in her as she really seems to know her stuff.

I had been reading your log and saw how much you got into the cycling- thats kind of where I've gotten the idea for the duathlon/tris from actually:)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good luck with the new log and journey back to full fitness. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress with with duathon/triathlon as I have a thought in my head to try one after reading some logs here!

BTW from a fellow Clare person, that's a brave move to Tipp :D. Hope you won't be converted to the Blue and Gold!!

Ha ha thanks shazkea. Its hard to stay true here- Im surrounded by Tipp -mad hurling people - even my daughter has been converted. Dont worry though I wont give in!

Rehab Week 2
    Thursday 12th Aug: Physio session number 2 today. Boy was it painful. I love it though- no more of this softly softly massage approach that was getting me nowhere. Im on for a bit of pain if it gets results.
    Tonight I managed 70 minutes on the bike. Watching Season 2 of the Tudors. Not a bad way to spend the evening.

Had a huge urge to eat something rubbishy tonight but fought through it and had some grapes. Day 4 of healthy eathing done and dusted. Longest I've stuck to a diet in ages.

Saturday 14th August
    What a day!! My daughter is away for the weekend so I had a lovely lie in and after lunch headed off with my hubby to bring our kayaks on their maiden voyage. Two and a half hours on the water. Im thrilled we bought them. It was just heaven.

This evening I managed an hour on the bike and moved on to using a step for my eccentric exercises for the achilles which I also increased to 90 repetitions.

Diet still going well too. Great, great day:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Hooray! Welcome back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Welcome back to the logs:) Saw your kayak pics on Facebook - I'm mad jealous! Good luck with the new log and the recovery.

Thanks ladies, glad to be off my ass and doing something active again.

Went out on the kayaks for nearly 2 hours today. What a fab day out there. It was heaven to be out on the lake. However I did manage to whinge and feel sorry for myself. Sitting in a kayak and fighting against the current for that long takes a toll on the body. My back was aching and my arms and hands were getting tired. I got over it after a mini tanturm (my husband has the patience of a saint by the way:)).

Great fun overall though. I know my arms will get stronger and I will get used to paddling against currents. Its amazing the attention we are getting from others when we come to shore. Everyone is very interested in the "bananna boats" especially kids. We havent told anyone we've met yet that we are only beginners!

Still doing my eccentric exercises. Decided to give my body a rest and not go on the bike today. Oh also I've lost 2lbs this week, Woohoo!

Since I last updated on Sunday 15th...

Monday 16th Aug: 60 minutes on the bike. Did a sort of interval session. Tried to push it to get the most out of my time on the stationary bike.
    Tuesday 17th: I was supposed to join a cycling group in Nenagh tonight. I know its important I get out on the road with the bike but for reasons unknown (laziness??) I didnt go in the end :(. Maybe next week..
    Wednesday 18th: A crazy hour out on the lake in the kayaks. It was excellent- crazy winds, waves and rain. Got a nice few bruises from messing around trying to roll the kayak and get back on. We learned that helmets might look silly but do serve a purpose - ask my hubby- kayak to the head- ouch!
    Thursday 19th: 3rd physio session. It seems to be going well. I dont feel pain from the achilles in my everyday life anymore but Im still scared to run yet. She said I could run on grass for 2 or 3 miles this weekend but in the end we decided to leave it till next weekend. I want to get better but Im not in a huge major rush to try running yet- I dont want to set my recovery back by trying too soon.
    Friday 20th: 30 mins on bike was all I could fit in as I had a wedding to go to.
    Saturday 21st: On couch all day...
    Sunday 22nd: Out on kayaks again today. Brought my daughter and her friend. Amazing how quickly they caught on to it.

Very poor week diet wise- I think I might have put back on those 2lbs!

Advertisement