Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ubuntu as a fileserver

Options
  • 12-08-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

hey

i have a dell opitplex 170l that i put an evaluation of windows server 2003 on it to mess around but i now use it as a file server.

now my problem is that the evaluation has ended and i dont hav ethe money for a license.

so am looking at ubuntu

would it be hard to set this up as a file server and will i still be able to map it as a network drive.

also since i dont have a monitor for it i use teamview to mange it and would like to continue to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

That shouldn't be a problem.

Install ubuntu and then install and configure samba, if you have any questions along the way just ask.

You might also look at freenas which is more specific to your needs but has a nice web-interface and zfs.

**Edit**
    When installed ubuntu can be controlled by the command line through ssh, google putty for windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i will give it a go

i have very little experience with linux i have only tired out ubuntu before
    just to see what it was like

i found it interesting but very confusing mostly because i use windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you intend to only use it as a server then install Webmin on the Ubuntu server. It gives you a web-based GIO and you can manage pretty much everything from it.

guys i am totally lost i have installed ubuntu
    and i installed samba trough the ubuntu software center

but i cant find samba

i have know idea what to do from here

i'm thinking of just installing xp pro instead if i cant get it working i will

ok guys thanks for all the help but i just going to go with using xp pro

i just have no idea on how to do this i have searched Google but the instructions just seem too much for me with no experience with ubuntu

i really dont have much time to do this and i have been at it since 5pm and i'm just tired now

i manged to install and setup windows server in about a hour and a half
    it really is well designed but for what i want it for it wouldn't be worth the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement