Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to remove tree stakes

Options
  • 12-08-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I attempted to remove a few tree stakes which, by rights, should have been removed a couple of years ago.

The all broke at ground level so the stump of each stake has been left in the ground.

I attempted to lift one but couldn't and ended up damaging the bark.

Will the stumps remaining in situ impair the trees in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Yorky wrote: »
    I attempted to remove a few tree stakes which, by rights, should have been removed a couple of years ago.

The all broke at ground level so the stump of each stake has been left in the ground.

I attempted to lift one but couldn't and ended up damaging the bark.

Will the stumps remaining in situ impair the trees in any way?

I would doubt it ... depends I guess on how hardy the tree is... Some Trees are more prone to Fungal diseases than others (the post tip may be broken down by some fungus of sorts)
    I would say leave them in the soil and let Mother Nature break them down ..if you try "dig" them out you could damage more Bark ..and worse Roots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

You could always choose something that is approx the same shape as the stump and then use it along with a sledge to drive it further into the ground and cover over with soil. Thus allowing mother nature to break them down.

Advertisement