Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Puppy not eating,

Options
  • 12-08-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi, I have my 4 month old king charles on red mills leader for puppy since they day I got her, but in the past 2 weeks she really isn't eating much, I went to the pet shop and they gave me a tester for royal canin junior 33, I gave it to her and she gobbled it up but it has 33% protein and from previos treads advising that 21% is ideal I am a bit concerned, Can anyone recommend what I should do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long do you leave the food with her and do you take it up then or is she allowed to free feed?
    Are you giving her any other treats, food throughout the day?

As pups get older their appetite might decrease so i wouldnt worry if shes not as hungry as long as shes in good condition and in good form.

I would just be tough and patient and offer the red mills, leave for 15 mins and take up then and do not offer anything until next meal and do not give any other food at all, which inlcudes treats etc.

The pup needs to be hungry at mealtimes to encourage her to eat. If you try this method for a day or 2 you should notice an improvement but you need to be tough and not feel sorry for her and give her other food as she will learn that she gets something tastier if she doesnt eat her dinner.

If shes been eating it all along then i dont see why she should stop all of a sudden.
    If shes in good form and good condition then sounds like shes being fussy so you need to stop that sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There's a chance she may be getting bored with the food.

Try changing the food she eats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

sup_dude wrote: »
    There's a chance she may be getting bored with the food.

Try changing the food she eats

Its not good for them to change the food regularly as it can upset their tummys as they get used to what they are eating.

Dogs arent like people, they dont need different foods all the time so its best to stick to one food if its agreeing with the dog and its on good condition.

Advertisement