Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want loan of machine that converts old Kodak slide negatives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

What you're looking for is a film scanner. Do a search here, there have been quite a few discussions about them if you want to buy one. If not, and you don't get any bites on borrowing one, Galway might have the equivalent of dublins' ruared, which allows you to rent scanning equipment by the hour or something.

Are they just plain Kodak slides ? Or are they kodachrome ? slides are harder than negatives to get a good scan from, particularly if they're dense or contrasty. Kodachrome is another level of difficulty again.
    Doing your own scans is pretty time consuming, and there's a bit of a learning curve involved in getting everything you can out of the slide or negative. You might be better off winnowing the slides down to just the ones you want to get scanned and just have it done professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i have a scanner that can scan slides, i've only ever used it for negs so i've no idea what the quality of a slide scan would be like but if you want me to have a go i'd be more than happy to do them for ya. i could try a few and if you're happy with the results i could do the rest*

*not for profit. i'm unemployed and bored :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@artyeva: thanks. Are you in Galway? If so I'll PM you re meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I like boards :D

• Advertisement

Are they just plain Kodak slides ? Or are they kodachrome ? slides are harder than negatives to get a good scan from, particularly if they're dense or contrasty. Kodachrome is another level of difficulty again.

They're Kodachrome Transparency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

And when you're done with them - here's a thought:

Curtains!
    kodachrome-curtains-top.jpg

Bedside lamp!
    4366892426_7e89b16794.jpg

(via http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=338100.0)

Or alternativly, you give them to do and I will make them for myself :o (been on the -cheap- lookout for them for said purpose for a while now to no avail)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

sNarah wrote: »
    And when you're done with them - here's a thought:

Curtains!
    kodachrome-curtains-top.jpg

Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Are you sure they're Kodachrome and not Ektachrome (or a mix?)
    dinneenp wrote: »
    They're Kodachrome Transparency

Heebie wrote: »
    Are you sure they're Kodachrome and not Ektachrome (or a mix?)

It says Kodachrome Transparency on them so I guess they're Kodachrome.

They were my dad's and are about 50-60 years old (guess)

• Advertisement
Advertisement