Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undergrad dissertation

Options
  • 12-08-2010 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

i know this isn't really related to postgraduates but i would like some insight from people who have experience with dissertations etc. i'm going in to my final year of a business degree and have the choice of doing a dissertation or another module? which would have the better chance of getting a 2.1 do you think? and would the workload be more/less or the same. i enjoy working alone on essays and stuff instead of group work and presentations so i'm leaning a bit more to the dissertation? thanks for any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I had the same choice when I was in my final year but I opted to take another module instead of the dissertation. I enjoyed writing essays and I was thinking the dissertation would be good practice for a masters but seeing my friends rushing to get their dissertations done before finals made me glad I didn't take the dissertation. At the time I'd never written anything over 5000 words so in that sense writing a dissertation was a bit of an unknown which I didn't want in my final year. At least with the module I knew what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're someone who's better at researching and writing essays rather than exams then you'd probably be better off doing a thesis. However, as JM mentioned, there's an awful lot of work involved in a thesis and you will be rushing to get it finished at the last minute, as well as trying to do work for your other courses, and study for exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I was in the same position. Initially I chose to do an alternative module, however I hated it and had a window to switch back to the disseration. While throughout the year I thought it was the worst decision I ever made given it was worth 1/6 of my degree, it was my highest result at the end of final year.

My only problem with it was the utterly useless supervisor I was given. He completely ridiculed my first choice topic and told me he'd fail me if I did it and then basically ruled out all my suggestions and tried to push me in directions I was uninterested in. In the end I ignored him and did bits of research on a few topics (not too much!) before defining the topic in the middle of a presentation (go with the flow style!) and then further focus in a subsequent presentation which finally seemed to convince him I was going to let him bully me and he give me a couple of pointers and that was it.

Until two days before the due date of course, when I started writing it and researched/wrote the entire last section! So really it is not that much work but maybe a bit of stress re topics imo!

Advertisement