Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potholes

• 12-08-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

It's probably been posted before but I'd like to urge people to contact Dublin Corporation re potholes in the city.

roadmaintenance@dublincity.ie

I came off second best with one recently and fractured my arm, keeping me off the bike and work for a number of weeks. While not excusing the road maintenance department for their negligence I consider myself extremely lucky. Someone else might not be.

If you see one, send an email. They filled in the one I hit the next day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

i smacked into one last week on my way out to dun laoghaire on the east wall road at traffic lights opposite pub. couldnt see it till i was at it and had a car outside so couldnt swerve. Punctured tyre was the result. The roads in dublin are crap especially nesr the footpaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i honestly think there testing cluster bombs over wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I've emailed them about a section on NCR - zero follow up. Very poor service. Alternatively contacting the OPD for the park - lovely to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

neris wrote: »
    The roads in dublin are crap especially nesr the footpaths

Try the Kerry roads. The main... RING OF KERRY road... Has loads of Obsticles... Potholes, roads cracking up... springs of water bubbling through, lovely briars and nettles............GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Im not ranting! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

72hundred wrote: »
    I've emailed them about a section on NCR - zero follow up. Very poor service.
    Tell them you fell off your bike after hitting one. I'd imagine they'll fix it much quicker that way.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    Tell them you fell off your bike after hitting one. I'd imagine they'll fix it much quicker that way.

Well that would be embleshing the truth. I've had the hands nearly shaken off when going over it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Monstorous one on vernon ave near nolans supermarket.

Right at a manhole!

Just popped an email... I await response and/ or action...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I logged two of the worst cases I came across recently in Co Meath on potholes.ie and noticed that they were repaired to an unusually high standard within two weeks. Coinsidence or not? I commented that they were a danger to cyclists and motorcyclists. So maybe the department of big brothers is concerned about the publics health and safety afterall, or was there a sucessful litigation recently.

I do however think that the main road in the Phoenix Park should be left in its current state. With the Presidential Residence on one side and the American ambassadors on the other, think of how quaint and culturally apt it must seem to all those foreign dignitaries who visit those two establishments. I would guess they are really impressed with our honesty and integrety that we wouldn't even hide the potholes on the presidents driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gotta mount the cam facing the front wheel some time and do a little rant video. In my 12 minute journey to Stevens green from D14 the number of potholes is crazy. The service paths beside the luas lines are better than the main roads FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Well that would be embleshing the truth. I've had the hands nearly shaken off when going over it though.
    Indeed, but it's a sad indication when the councils don't bother filling them in until they actually cause an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I commented that they were a danger to cyclists and motorcyclists.
    I think that's what makes the difference. If you just let them "FYI there's a pothole here" they'll probably get around to it in due course. But if you say "This is dangerous, I almost crashed/did crash/could have injured myself" then if someone does injure themself, your email means that they knew about it...compensation nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just told SDCC about a collapsed drain cover on the nangor road. will see how long before they get back to me / fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I am in shock.

Emailed last night... Reply this morning!!!

Everyone should do this where possible!!

Definitely incl details of how dangerous it is to cyclists, peds & motorcyclists!!!

OMG a response!
    Dear kenmc

Thank you for your enquiry, which I have referred to the Roads Department for their attention and reply.

Regards

A.N. Other*
    *Not her real name

Glad to report that mine has been fixed! Got an email saying it was done, and sure enough when I cycled past it was!

OK, in 2 years of emailing about the same stretch of road I've received 2 email responses. Its literally a very small section that needs to be resurfaced.

So, my question, what's the next level to email if the city council don't care / don't respond - NRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

What about broken glass on the road/cycle path ?
    Should that go to roadmaintenance@dublincity.ie too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

I've often wondered about that too strummer. The small road sweepers the council use, why couldn't they use them on cycle paths and at least make a visible attempt at the upkeep of them? Might encourage many people to actually use the cycle paths more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What about broken glass on the road/cycle path ?
    Should that go to roadmaintenance@dublincity.ie too ?

No - one of the chief functions of cycle paths beside roads is to actually act as a holding / storage area for all the broken glass, metal etc that might damage proper road-tax paying drivers' cars:)

It might be worth emailing - if they don't deal with it, they seem to be pretty good at forwarding it on to whoever does.

I just hope they don't fill in the big pothole near the airport, there's a small village at the bottom of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭markpb

OK, in 2 years of emailing about the same stretch of road I've received 2 email responses. Its literally a very small section that needs to be resurfaced.

So, my question, what's the next level to email if the city council don't care / don't respond - NRA?

If it's a city road, the NRA have no responsibility. Get on to your local councillors.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    If it's a city road, the NRA have no responsibility. Get on to your local councillors.

Councillors, wehey. I think I'll put up with the potholes :rolleyes:

Advertisement