Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary: I'm buying a house. Offer accepted.... now what!? :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Wow in France there has been alot of talk about Ireland and the ECB-IMF coming to bail out the "bankrupt" country!!! Basically its a waiting game for the Irish politicians to accept the truth and the rest of the country.

The rest of Euro zone aint going to sit back and let Ireland drag the rest of them down...so I figure by January...the IMF 2011 will be controlling Irelands Finances and basically property will be worth a big fat ZERO!!!

If your thinking of buying a house...you might just want to invest your money in Gold or some other constant valuable thing which will not devalue.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Welcome to 20-30 years of debt.

Remember the bank owns the house until the final payment is made. ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow in France there has been alot of talk about Ireland and the ECB-IMF coming to bail out the "bankrupt" country!!! Basically its a waiting game for the Irish politicians to accept the truth and the rest of the country.

The rest of Euro zone aint going to sit back and let Ireland drag the rest of them down...so I figure by January...the IMF 2011 will be controlling Irelands Finances and basically property will be worth a big fat ZERO!!!

If your thinking of buying a house...you might just want to invest your money in Gold or some other constant valuable thing which will not devalue.

The price of gold over the decades:
    gif&s=39&w=496&h=189
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=gold+price

I think you will find that Gold quite definitely DOES vary with time and its a terrible time to invest in it at the moment.

Property will never be worth a "big fat Zero". It has intrinsic value in and of itself. It is a structure and it is on land. As the man said "buy land, they arent making it any more". I need somewhere to live and this will be cheaper then renting for me with a considerably improved quality of life. Maybe I could save another 20-50K if I stuck it out and vultured some repossessed place but I'm not buying to rent and I'm not buying to invest. I'm buying to have a roof over my head and I'm not selling for a decade.

Even if the IMF, the big bad IMF boogieman, come (and I've felt it was pretty much inevitable since the budget this time last year which did very little in effect)... they arent here to eat our young. They are not in the business of trashing economies and in fact the reason they are so keen to get involved is because they dont WANT a trashed economy as part of Euroland. In 5 years time, this will all be a bad memory imho.

Victor, it was more of an "omg where did all my money go... jesus I've been hacked" heart attack moments. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Just dipped into this thread DeV, congrats on the purchase.

Glad to see you had the guts to buy what you felt was right. The attitude of people who scream from the rooftops that we shouldn't consider buying because that's the stupidest thing ever, is almost as bad as during the boom when people were screaming "buy,buy,buy"!!! What people have completely failed to get out of their heads is this idea of the property ladder. Do what our parents did - buy a house to live in. My parents bought in 1980, in a rural enough part of Dublin, at an interest rate of 17% :eek: on a house, with a huge deposit required, my mother's income not counted and my Dad's job very insecure. In one of the worst recessions the country has seen. But it didn't stop them - they needed somewhere to live, and they are still in the same 4-bed house, 30 years later.

So we all got into property in the last few years and now we're all experts, huh...I'm not saying go out and buy now, because it's great value. I'm saying if you have the money, if you get a good deal that you can live in for the rest of your life, and if you're happy your job is secure, then go for it. We're in NE on our 4 bed house - so what? We can afford the payments without starving and we won't be selling, and that's what we looked for when we bought, 2 years ago.Bit of middle ground needed here people. You could hang on - but then, while you watch house prices drop, you also watch interest rates rise, and really, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

So congrats DeV. And I think we had to wait about 4 -5 weeks to get our house keys, but it was extremely exciting when we did!

(And yes, I'm sure I'll be absolutely slated for my post, but there's no way to keep everyone happy:rolleyes:, so off you go)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

DeVore wrote: »
    gif&s=39&w=496&h=189

I think you will find that Gold quite definitely DOES vary with time and its a terrible time to invest in it at the moment.

Property will never be worth a "big fat Zero". It has intrinsic value in and of itself. It is a structure and it is on land. As the man said "buy land, they arent making it any more". I need somewhere to live and this will be cheaper then renting for me with a considerably improved quality of life. Maybe I could save another 20-50K if I stuck it out and vultured some repossessed place but I'm not buying to rent and I'm not buying to invest. I'm buying to have a roof over my head and I'm not selling for a decade.

Even if the IMF, the big bad IMF boogieman, come (and I've felt it was pretty much inevitable since the budget this time last year which did very little in effect)... they arent here to eat our young. They are not in the business of trashing economies and in fact the reason they are so keen to get involved is because they dont WANT a trashed economy as part of Euroland. In 5 years time, this will all be a bad memory imho.

Victor, it was more of an "omg where did all my money go... jesus I've been hacked" heart attack moments. :)

DeV.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus think for a second and walk away, rent for 2 years and save that 50k. You'll still have a roof over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

gif&s=39&w=496&h=189

DeV.

The difference is, you have to mine for Gold...look at the miners in Chilie and China which get trapped. Its a dangerous job going mining. This cannot be compared to houses, which at the moment are aplenty in Ireland. It is therefore not an investment.

You will not save "20 - 50k" because the Irish economy is BANKRUPT...its worth nothing. Its not an investment, its a devestment!!!

I do agree it is necessary for the IMF to come in. But Ireland will lose any reputation it has. As for "eating Irelands young"....yes it is actually. I left Ireland in 2002 because as a Chemist I could not get work in the "Pharmaceutical" boom country that is Ireland. If I couldnt get a job in Ireland, which invests heavenly in Pharmaceutical companies back in 2002...I certainly not getting any opportunities now. Where does that leave the new Irish Graduates??? Ireland wont have a youth...because they are all leaving.

This is a huge fall for Ireland and the property market. Its like watching a horror show and Im on the outside in France looking in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

RasTa wrote: »
    Jesus think for a second and walk away, rent for 2 years and save that 50k. You'll still have a roof over your head.

Good advice. I would walk away. Rent for another year or two. It will make a substancial difference to your quality of life for the next 25 - 35 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Can I be a big girl for a second and ignore this economic talk and ask you to post some pictures?? My dream is to buy and old-fashioned house and make it pretty!

Best of luck.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just to address one issue first.... I'm buying near Artane/Tonglegue Road on the north side. Nice three bed, semi-D within 25 minutes of town easy. Settled, community, old style solid house with decent space and a big back yard.

I saved 10-15k a year in the good years for about 12 years and I'm borrowing about 100k now. My repayments will be 550 approx and fixed for 3 years. About 250 less than my current rent for a 1-bed in Rathmines.

I take your point about houses being aplenty but not houses like this. I'm not buying in Manooth or Leixlip, I'm buying prime realestate in north central dublin. I'm not buying a thrown-up apartment or a dog-box I'm buying the only home I'll ever realistically need unless I emigrate. I'm not, I admit, a typical case which is why I managed to get a mortgage I believe!

Dory, I'll put up pics when I can but I dont want to be specific about my address as I've already have a couple of weirdos come bang on my door because of Boards :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Next mention of gold, shilling of gold or advocating participating in the gold bubble gets an infraction and ban.

Next mention of gold, shilling of gold or advocating participating in the gold bubble gets an infraction and ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

My repayments will be 550 approx and fixed for 3 years. About 250 less than my current rent for a 1-bed in Rathmines.

Congrats Dev,

The above is one reason I too am looking to buy now myself, I feel if a can get a 3 bed house to live in for the foreseeable future at 200-400 a month less than i'm paying for in rent then I would be very happy to do that. I hate where i'm renting and the rental prices just arent dropping to justify renting somewhere else.

So congrats again dev and enjoy living in your own place!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I dont want to be specific about my address as I've already have a couple of weirdos come bang on my door because of Boards :)

That'll teach ya for telling Dav, Ross, Con and Darragh where you live.

Congrats on the house.
    Dinner party as soon as you improve the cooking skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I saved 10-15k a year in the good years for about 12 years and I'm borrowing about 100k now. My repayments will be 550 approx and fixed for 3 years. About 250 less than my current rent for a 1-bed in Rathmines.
    liger wrote:
    The above is one reason I too am looking to buy now myself, I feel if a can get a 3 bed house to live in for the foreseeable future at 200-400 a month less than i'm paying for in rent then I would be very happy to do that. I hate where i'm renting and the rental prices just arent dropping to justify renting somewhere else.

Ye two are like my twins :P I will probably buy next year with a 100-120k mortgage if the price is right as rents in my area are sticky unlike alot of other areas.(I blame Google HQ for hiring people in my district!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cool. Glad you hit gold, so to speak, in getting a good house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Just to address one issue first.... I'm buying near Artane/Tonglegue Road on the north side. Nice three bed, semi-D within 25 minutes of town easy. Settled, community, old style solid house with decent space and a big back yard.

I take your point about houses being aplenty but not houses like this. I'm not buying in Manooth or Leixlip, I'm buying prime realestate in north central dublin. I'm not buying a thrown-up apartment or a dog-box I'm buying the only home I'll ever realistically need unless I emigrate. I'm not, I admit, a typical case which is why I managed to get a mortgage I believe!

Dory, I'll put up pics when I can but I dont want to be specific about my address as I've already have a couple of weirdos come bang on my door because of Boards :)

DeV.

I hate to sh1te on your party but a house in the area you describe is not "prime real estate" on the Northside. For me, it's Drumcondra, Clontarf and Glasnevin. You're a bit too close to places like Coolock and the rest of the dodgy spots on the Northside I wouldn't live in if you gave me the house for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

barrackali wrote: »
    Enjoy being in massive negative equity.....some people never learn!

people commenting without reading the entire thread make me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

stepbar wrote: »
    I hate to sh1te on your party but a house in the area you describe is not "prime real estate" on the Northside. For me, it's Drumcondra, Clontarf and Glasnevin. You're a bit too close to places like Coolock and the rest of the dodgy spots on the Northside I wouldn't live in if you gave me the house for free.

haha what ****e, artane is a fine area, i wouldnt pay what he paid for a house there now but its far from a bad area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

stepbar wrote: »

Em....not entirely true...I know many people living in that neck of the woods and there are some nice estates there.Depends on your perception, and yours obviously isn't that. Drumcondra has some very dodgy spots and Glasnevin runs into Finglas these days.

Anyway.Irrelevant argument. Well done DeV.:D

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Cool. Glad you hit gold, so to speak, in getting a good house :D
    Banned!

:pac:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Surely, if he's happy with his purchase and is willing to meet the mortgage repayments, nothing else really matters (depreciation, etc).

Unless it's a house, not a home. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

So how much would your house sell for now?! I imagine you're lucky you didn't wait another 3 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭downwithit

Very funny reading back through this thread with all the armchair economists giving their "expert" advice. Would wonder what their advice would be now?

My only advice for people is.... take your own advice.

When I was making good money in the early 2000's people were shouting at me to "get on the property ladder" but the numbers didn't stack imho so I didn't.

I kept the money I had made and bought at the start of 2011. I don't think I quite hit the lowest point but as I said in this thread, I predicted it would drop a bit more but not much. Here's the graph of what happened.
    graph2.png

So, according to that my house is probably worth about what I paid for it. Anecdotally I have been told a few 10k's more. Either way, the same reasoning applies... I didn't buy to sell or rent, I bought to have a roof over my head.

The interesting thing is the rent I would have paid. So, before I was paying 800 for a nice one bed in rathmines. The same kind of place is now going for about 1000 pm. So we can average about 900 over the years. That's a saving of 350 p/m over three years. A saving of 12,600 though we would have to take off the interest I would have made on the money I invested in the house over that time if I had banked it. So about 12,000 saved. :) (ok, ok about 9,000 saved in total).
    And add in the equity I now own in my own house (about 6k).
    So, 15k better off for this purchase.

This doesn't factor in the VAST improvement in living standards, where I have gone from a perfectly nice but small 1-bed in rathmines to a 3 bed house with garden and shed. And a dog! :)
    Those things are not minor, my quality of life has greatly improved.

If I could have waited until the end of 2011 it would have been better... I'd now be in positive equity but its an easy game to play in reverse. For family reasons, and personal reasons, I wanted to move then. I was willing to take on some risk (of a further fall) and some possible negative equity (which was true for the last three years), on the understanding that I was moving here for a probable 5-10 year stint.

I've additionally put about 4k into the property judiciously in self improvements which would raise the value of it too, but I'm not taking that into account on either side.

On the whole.... I'm very happy with my decision. I was as close to damn-it bang on with my reasoning and I'm happy I put my money where my mouth is. Emotionally, I love my house... I love tinkering with it, installing things, wiring things and yes, knocking bits out of it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for the update Tom, its great to hear that things have worked out nicely. I'm guessing you've fast fibre broadband, along with all manner of modcons. It is nice being able to do whatever you want- and some of us do weird things (AC in the master bedroom, ethernet cabling throughout, satcoms etc etc). If you're feeling bored sometime- we'd love to see a few photos of your DIY- might give some of us a few ideas.

S.

200 Mb/s access throughout the building.... it might not seem like it to everyone but its an absolute must for me!

Most of the work has gone into the back garden where the previous owner seemed to have some kind of love affair with poured concrete. He must have been a big Maggie Thatcher fan because it initially looked like Birmingham. During the clean up of the garden the back end (or what I thought was the backend) turned out to be a HUGE over grown bramble tree. My gardiner mate reckoned it hadn't been cut in 10 years. Underneath it was another patio!! We've done a lot with the garden since then but mostly planting and some decking.

The free standing car garage was useless to me since I don't drive, and wasn't in great shape (it had to have a BER rating of its own, weirdly, and it got like an F or something :) ). I ripped out the door mechanism and we built a wall there. Lined the lot and clad it in mahogany chip-board, put in a hard wood floor and built myself a workshop!

In the house I knocked through a supporting wall. Ok, I paid a bunch of burly men to do that bit. :)
    Stuck in some cathedral doors and made myself one big room downstairs which can be repartitioned into two again at will. Worked great!
    Built myself a small gym in one of the bedrooms and threw in a HD projector (700 euros!) and made it double up as a home cinema. I was shocked how cheap that was to do!

Ok, enough of the Irish version of Cribs... I'll take some pics of the workshop next week when I'm home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Fair fncks DeV. I missed this thread when you first put it up (was buying a gaff myself at the same time and not on boards much!), but it's been a really interesting read.

When I was buying mine, I didn't have anyone say directly to me "it's the wrong time, wait", but I was thinking that it might drop in value and it was a bit of a concern. An EA that I do some IT consulting for talked to me about his concept of a 'committee' for each house purchase. A way of filtering out what others might be saying about the market going up or down, or this or that.

Each person/couple looking at a house purchase will have their own set of reasons to balance out, their committee as such, and if that committee says it's the right time to buy, then it doesn't really matter about what the market might or might not do.

For yer own gaf, one nice little extra that you might want is to replace your heating time with a climote. Let's you turn on/off the heating through an app - well handy for winter, and unpredictable schedules, to take the chill out before you get home. Costs a few hundred to put in, and a e3/mo on your ESB, but pays for itself quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hadn't spotted this thread when you initially posted it and was getting quite the giggle at the "you're throwing away 100k!!!!OMG!!!ELEVENTYONE!!!!!" comments... Knowing the general area fairly well (I've been watching property all along the coast from Fairview out to Sutton for the past 3 years or so) and assuming you're towards the coast end of the Tonlegee road, I'd say it's almost certainly worth more than you paid for it now, property's only really been going one way in what the Celtic Cubs used to call the "East Bay Area".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Interesting the read about the fear and worry in 2010... why consumer sentiment is so important in economics.. today there is real panic buying from such a limited supply of property..

I know someone who was out bid by 40k for a property listed at 210k.. the real value in renting of course is you take on zero debt and zero risk.. a benefit that alot of people don't take into account..

Remember we have a distorted market due to government influence and no repossed property flooding the market.. Its good to ignore the masses and make your own decision.. in this case it worked out well for you..

Advertisement