Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trek Madone 4.7 or Cube GTC SL???

• 12-08-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Evening! Hope you are all well! I am in the process of buying a racing bike.
    I was originally set on the Trek Madone 4.7 2010. This bike retailed at 2,499 Euro.
    The 2011 range of madones are due in Ireland soon;but I hear the 4.7 2011 will be more expensive. This has turned me off the Trek a bit.To me they seem over priced?!

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/madone/madone47e/

I have been looking at the Cube GTC SL 2010;it has a similar spec and I believe retails at 2,499Euro also.
    I really like the look of the Cube and took it for a spin;thought it felt really nice.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31817

So if you were in my boat what would you go for?
    Maybe you would suggest an alternative bike?

I appreciate your feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would ride the Trek and make your mind up based on that. There is definitely a brand premium on Trek but on the other hand they make very very good frames IMO. Very very comfortable over long distances. I certainly wouldn't make the choice on the Cube having Ultegra vs the Trek having 105- insignificant really. I think there is also a lower 4.5 and in addition a new competitively priced 3-series Madone although the latter may be US-only (where it is priced at $1,799 for the bike.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/specs.html?b=1923

..to further complicate your choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's loads of choice at €2500.

This thread might offer something up, or there's always this old chestnut, although I don't trust BikeRadar reviews.

Then there are things like roseversand, stevens, and so on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Def the Cube GTC SL 2010

Serious spec for the money. FSA SL-K Carbon Cranks, carbon stem & bars...
    It looks absolutely fantastic in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I've a 4.7. Great frame. You pay a premium but you won't go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you for your replies!
    I agree that Trek make great bikes, fab frames, really comfortable on long rides.
    Then Cube produce great bikes, cheaper, higher spec but maybe not as comfy on long rides or maybe frames are not as good as Trek?
    Both seem to have lifetime guarantees against defects.
    Trek have the history & prestige of Team Discovery, Radioshack & Mr Armstrong. Cube are less well known, no pro team as far as I know so therefore more spec for your €! maybe Cube are a riskier proposition?
    I was also looking @ Giant TCR, but it was relegated to 3rd place!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you stretch your budget a little bit there's this with full dura ace to consider

http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-carbon-sl-4000-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=30495

IIRC there was a post a short while back on the 'images of beauty' thread of one of these or similar (it had Sram). Might be worth sending a PM to guy who owns it to ask him for his thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

I went to CSS to check out a cube streamer (which has a great spec for the money), but when I saw the Ridley Orion on special there was no turning back. Just picked it up last week it's a thing of beauty. For your budget you could go up to the Damocles, which certainly has the coolest name of any bike!

I find the carbon Ridley is so much stiffer than my previous alu frame, so not as comfortable, but it's really fast and stable under speed, with really quick steering response. In other words it's a focussed racing bike. Another manufacturer to consider anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

9 posts and noone has suggested planet x....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CBPXNAHMREDC_P1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I haven't seen it in the flesh but I suspect from looking at the pictures and what I hear the Cube will have a more "race" geometry. So perhaps faster but depending on you could be less comfortable over distance. The Madone comes in two versions but the more common, that they put compact chainsets on, has an extended toptube for a more relaxed position. So maybe a touch slower but fantastically comfortable. Again, ride both and make your mind up on which fits you best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It was only a matter of time before someone threw one up there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    CBPXNAHMREDC_P1.jpg

Is that 50Cent's bike?

Advertisement