Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donaghies Community School

Options
  • 12-08-2010 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I'm new to the north county Dublin area and am interested in sending my young lad to the Donaghies Community School. I am just wondering what kind of school it is? Is discipline good there and what are the teachers like? and the pupils?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Call in there the day of the Leaving Cert. results and talk to people.

This sort of thread will get one of three responses in relation to any school, anywhere.

1. Meh - all schools are the same it's the home support that makes the difference.
    2. It's a kip.
    3. It's a fine school.

The truth is somewhere between the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I'm new to the north county Dublin area and am interested in sending my young lad to the Donaghies Community School. I am just wondering what kind of school it is? Is discipline good there and what are the teachers like? and the pupils?

Thanks

not always reliable, but has interesting comments at times ratemyteachers.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You could try the De La Salle school in Kilbarrack,not too far away.it has a better reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Depends what you want to get out of the school. My impression from schools in the area is that its not one of the better ones around academically.

Its a crude measure, but the school league tables of how many pupils go on to 3rd level is one yard stick for parents. In the top 400 list you can see nearby schools in Raheny and Sutton, but the Donahies does not make the list.
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/mainppireland.pdf
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/northdublinnew.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By far the most important factor in whether a child gets to third level education is the attitude and support of their parent(s).

It can help of course to go to a fee-paying school with selective entry procedures.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    Depends what you want to get out of the school. My impression from schools in the area is that its not one of the better ones around academically.

Its a crude measure, but the school league tables of how many pupils go on to 3rd level is one yard stick for parents. In the top 400 list you can see nearby schools in Raheny and Sutton, but the Donahies does not make the list.
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/mainppireland.pdf
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/northdublinnew.pdf

those league tables change every year and are not terrily reliable. malahide or Portmarnock community schools are highly recommended but I am not sure if you fall into the catchment area

spurious wrote: »
    By far the most important factor in whether a child gets to third level education is the attitude and support of their parent(s).

It can help of course to go to a fee-paying school with selective entry procedures.

not all fee paying schools are selective or indeed academic. some offer the LCVP.

The LCVP is the standard Leaving Cert. with a vocational subject (LCVP) added on. If anything it's more work than the standard Leaving.

I don't know of any fee-paying school that has the LCA, traditionally seen as for the 'less' academic. I can't think of one fee-paying school that doesn't have an entrance test to select either, certainly in the Dublin area, or a special needs department that requires more than one teacher in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Tbh I'd go with St. Pauls or De La Sal before I went near the Donaghies. They're just better schools overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Degsy wrote: »
    You could try the De La Salle school in Kilbarrack,not too far away.it has a better reputation.

+1

I lived right next to the Donahies but went to the De La Salle school. It's a good school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Also ex De La Salle here, recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

spurious wrote: »

A school doesnt need to charge fees to send more than half their Leaving Cert year to 3rd level.

e.g. no.3 on the list - Colaiste Eoin. Also, not too far from Donaghmede, Ard Scoil Ris on Griffith Avenue makes the list. I'd agree that's its the collective attitute of parents that makes the difference here.

Advertisement