Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Irrational Games working on new Bioshock game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh, never thought that Bioshock needed a sequel in the first place and while 2 was decent, the series needs to move out of Rapture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It sure looks...different. But if it matches up to the quality of the first two, I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Meh, never thought that Bioshock needed a sequel in the first place and while 2 was decent, the series needs to move out of Rapture.

Did you watch the trailer that wasn't rapture was it :confused:

Edit :
    BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

Looks interesting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Definitely an intriguing trailer. You're right super, Bioshock had to get out of rapture. A la COD, giving us a filler Bioshock game in the series mixes things up nicely without scrapping what makes the main titles so good. Did anyone else think the character design of the woman at the end was a little off and slightly cartoony however? Are they possibly looking at an entirely different artistic style on this one, helping to even further differentiate it from the main canon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm noting being a buzzkill but I just wished the reveal wasn't BioShock related.BioShock 2 was such a dissapointed & in a way it felt rushed despite being delayed late last year.The series could of done with a few years off but then again sequels seem to be out every 2nd year these days & fewer are bringing anything new to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

niallon wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the character design of the woman at the end was a little off and slightly cartoony however?

Caught that and thought the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

calex71 wrote: »
    Caught that and thought the same.

Well if that turns out to be their direction I'm even more excited for this game. Much like many developers are doing regarding the Wii versions of multi platform games, something that fits into the net continuity of a series whilst also being it's own standalone game or series really appeals to me. It satisfies those that just want another Bioshock and also provides something a little different for those of us that are getting a little bored of the same old same ol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I absolutely love the periods that irrational picks for bioshock, i can tell already from that small trailer that the sense of the time that made the first two so great will be as present in this.

This game will be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Seen this game yesterday, looks interesting and will most certainly be watching it's progress over it's development. It's art style while extremely similar to BioShock is meant to be (from the review I read anyway) a bit more comical.
    And with it being on a floating city the brightness in comparison to rapture will give the game a whole new look/feel anyway.

I'm guessing the only reason they kept the BioShock name rather than just calling it Infinite or some other such name was for brand awareness. What puzzles me more is peoples pure hatred for BioShock 2, I really enjoyed it and had as much fun as if not more playing it compared to the first one. The combat tweaks alone made it great.

Also will be interesting that you will have an AI partner and your character has a name and voice.
    Only concerns I heard people have with this game based on a demo shown is how linear the game will end up being.
    I for one loved the exploration side of BioShock.

BioShock 2 Spoiler:
    From the ending of the second Bioshock I was thinking Bioshock 3 would be in the real world, ending kind of gave that impression.

But this game will be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Really excited by the look of this, the 1st game was one of the best I've ever played and I really enjoyed the 2nd one too, even if it was pretty much more of the same. Thankfully, as others have mentioned, they've made the refreshing and brave move away from Rapture and it's also an unexpected choice (given the end of #2) and interesting dynamic to not only move from underwater to a city floating in the air but to also set it circa 50 years before the 1st one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Shred wrote: »
    Really excited by the look of this, the 1st game was one of the best I've ever played and I really enjoyed the 2nd one too, even if it was pretty much more of the same. Thankfully, as others have mentioned, they've made the refreshing and brave move away from Rapture and it's also an unexpected choice (given the end of #2) and interesting dynamic to not only move from underwater to a city floating in the air but to also set it circa 50 years before the 1st one.
    Well, its being developed by a different studio and has basically nothing to do with Bioshock 1 and 2. There will be a Bioshock 3, likely in Rapture, but this isn't it

Advertisement