Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Car seats ? Do they fit Every car?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi

I was looking for a car seat for my 9 month old son and I have found one on the internet and it says it is universal fitting. Does that mean it fits in every car or just most cars. I have a Peugeot 206 and I do not know how to find out if they fit universal car seats and I am in the process of getting a new car.:confused:

I do not know what to do I do not want to buy it and then it does not fit.
    Does anyone know if Peugeot 206 fit universal carseats and also does universal mean every car because I do not know what car I will be getting in the next month or so I havent decided..

If anyone could give me a bit of advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the car seat but no not all non iso fix car seats fit all cars. The car seat website should tell you.
    Also,be careful buying from outside the EU as different places have different safety standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gormixx

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on the car seat but no not all non iso fix car seats fit all cars. The car seat website should tell you.
    Also,be careful buying from outside the EU as different places have different safety standards.

Thanks. The website is in the UK. No it just says Universal ? So stuck as to what to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't think i could buy a car seat that i knew nothing at all about.
    No brand or model #?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gormixx

I don't think i could buy a car seat that i knew nothing at all about.
    No brand or model #?

Yeah it is a bit of a risk all right. I am going to leave it and buy one in Smyths or Mothercare, That way I can try fit it before I buy it.

Thanks

Smyths had the Britax evolva for under 100 euro,it will fit pretty much any car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Don't buy online!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Smyths had the Britax evolva for under 100 euro,it will fit pretty much any car.

No it won't fit every car.

The evolva needs a fairly long seat belt for installation and some makes (particularly Japanese brands) have slightly shorter seat belts.
    I've also tried and failed to fit it into some fords and volvos.

Besides - while it is acceptable from 9 months onwards, it is better suited to an older baby/toddler as there is only one recline position (pre positioned before installation by a wedge underneath) and as such can be quite upright for a young baby - particularly if baby is used to napping in their car seat, their head can end up rolling forward if they nod off.
    Other than that it is a fantastic versatile seat that will do a toddler up to 11yrs of age.

Choose a car seat that has a good recline, ample space for growth, plenty of adjustment on the straps and most importantly that fits your car.
    Go onto the Britax or Maxi Cosi websites and there is a fit finder that you can enter your car make, model and year and it will tell you what seats are suitable for your car for the age of your child.

Most reputable nursery stores will do this for you and also show you how to fit the car seat that suits your needs best - some will also install the car seat for you by trained fitters and go through the tips for safe installation - (such as how to avoid buckle crunch)

Smyths won't install your car seat for you though.

Advertisement