Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone v Eircom 7mb talk and broadband bundles

• 12-08-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the same deal . .

Eircom are €65 per month (been with them 2 years and not many probs!)

Vodafone are €49.99 per month

Both 7mb . .

Vodafone say its the same service (as they rent off Eircom) just differant price . .

Is this just the joys of competition or am I missing something ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

you would need to quote exact package, could be off peak only with VF, smaller d/l allowanace etc etc. And have you seen all the posts about VF?? Give us a bit more detail/

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

7mb - 100GB per month
    Anytime calls nationally
    Calls to England (although I dont make any)
    200mins to 3 vodafone numbers
    €49.99 inc of VAT

Perhaps our resident Vodafone friend can confirm above ?

Really the internet and landline is only important thing . . They told me there is no line rental with Eircom on top of this and that its inclusive of VAT.

This deal is not on their website as they said it is only for vodafone customers . .

I need proper internet connection for work and was hesitant to tie myself into a 12 month contract but as far as I can see its the same deal as Eircom (if not slightly better on paper) but €15 cheaper . .

What I would say is that I was not over confident with them when I asked them several times about whether or not it included VAT.

Also they said that they will be bringing out the new internet that eircom are rolling out (not in my area at mo), but they call it by a differant name. . Slightly dubious about some things they said, but can anybody recommend or advise on how the service or internet quality can differ from Eircom, if its true that they just rent the line off eircom and offer it cheaper ? (your one was going with the "economies of scale" argument as to why they could offer it cheaper then eircom!). .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Drumpot wrote: »
    7mb - 100GB per month
    Anytime calls nationally
    Calls to England (although I dont make any)
    200mins to 3 vodafone numbers
    €49.99 inc of VAT

Perhaps our resident Vodafone friend can confirm above ?

Really the internet and landline is only important thing . . They told me there is no line rental with Eircom on top of this and that its inclusive of VAT.

This deal is not on their website as they said it is only for vodafone customers . .

I need proper internet connection for work and was hesitant to tie myself into a 12 month contract but as far as I can see its the same deal as Eircom (if not slightly better on paper) but €15 cheaper . .

What I would say is that I was not over confident with them when I asked them several times about whether or not it included VAT.

Also they said that they will be bringing out the new internet that eircom are rolling out (not in my area at mo), but they call it by a differant name. . Slightly dubious about some things they said, but can anybody recommend or advise on how the service or internet quality can differ from Eircom, if its true that they just rent the line off eircom and offer it cheaper ? (your one was going with the "economies of scale" argument as to why they could offer it cheaper then eircom!). .

id be near sure there would be line rental to eircom as its supplied down eircoms lines & network!

i also wouldnt touch vodagrown with a 10 foot barge pole! a quick look into vodafones forum on here will tell you why.

and eircoms so called new internet is not new at all, NGB is a new way for them to charge you for going over your download cap, (they never charged anyone for doing so up until people where conned into taking up NGB and even most dont get the choice!)

NGB will never be Next Generation Broadband, as its old tech supplied over 30 year old copper lines, they just done away with the line contention (they could of done this years ago too without falsely claiming it was NGB)

dazdrog wrote: »
    id be near sure there would be line rental to eircom as its supplied down eircoms lines & network!

i also wouldnt touch vodagrown with a 10 foot barge pole! a quick look into vodafones forum on here will tell you why.

and eircoms so called new internet is not new at all, NGB is a new way for them to charge you for going over your download cap, (they never charged anyone for doing so up until people where conned into taking up NGB and even most dont get the choice!)

NGB will never be Next Generation Broadband, as its old tech supplied over 30 year old copper lines, they just done away with the line contention (they could of done this years ago too without falsely claiming it was NGB)

You are concerning me a bit, any advice is appreciated . .

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/index.jsp

Heres there website that has their charges (that at least look like they include line rental and VAT).

Regarding the actual internet service, I saw a few threads here on it, but I didnt think it looked like there were anymore then you would see for Eircom probs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Drumpot wrote: »
    You are concerning me a bit, any advice is appreciated . .

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/index.jsp

Heres there website that has their charges (that at least look like they include line rental and VAT).

Regarding the actual internet service, I saw a few threads here on it, but I didnt think it looked like there were anymore then you would see for Eircom probs ?

At least with an Eircom problem, you know that it's Eircom's fault, and no-one else's. With a Vodafone fault, VF will not tell you whose fault it is, theirs or Eircom's, so you're then stuck in the middle wondering who to blame for your broadband speeds being nowhere near what you're paying for.

If you want to risk it, it's entirely up to you, but I think that Eircom is the lesser of two evils after almost 8 months of Vodafone's carry-on.

• Advertisement

So its really when theres a problem, with a vodafone contract you are in trouble ??? Right . . Thanks for advice . .

Advertisement