Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance + Depression

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Ive suffered with depression and Anxiety for the past 2 years and have been unable to work because of it for the last year.

My stamps have run out and I was told to apply for disability allowance as my doc said my recovery will be a long proccess (another 2 years +)

I have gotten notification that they recieved my application but I was told the waiting list is 4-6 months.

Im just getting really worried as Ive been told they are refusing disabilty to alot of people and worrying about it isnt helping me much.

I was wondering if anyone here has or know anyone who suffers from long term depression who has been awarded disability allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I know of at least 6 people who is getting DA who have depression but you will be waiting a while to hear a reply im afraid :mad:

I know its ridiculous. My doctor has wrote that he thinks it may be another year to 2 years before im recovered so I hope they will allow me to have it based on that :(

i know someone who was refused DA and are now appealing it !!!

Really wish you the best with it !!!

Its so frustrating thinking about people who applied for it 2-3 years ago and received it and there was nothing wrong with them and now people who genuinely need it are getting refused!!:mad::mad:

Did it say why they were refused or on what grounds??

• Advertisement

not enough medical evidence which is bullsh!t,

if you do get refused, appeal it again and again because they have to refuse so many, and the majority wont appeal it

That doesnt sound right to me. If your doctor says your unfit for work that should be all the evidence they need I mean what do they want your entire medical history?

i know but they are refusing alot of people at the minute....

Just appeal if you do get refused

Does the appeal take as long as the application?

I dont know tbh how long it takes for people to hear back from the appeal.

The person i know who is appealing sent off the letter Monday gone, so when they hear back or if they do hear back, il let you know....

• Advertisement

Thanks id appreciate that

yeah no problem... sorry i cant be more of a help !!!

When i hear the latest, il let you know !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Best of luck with your application, having to worry about this as well i'm sure isnt helping your situation, try and take things on a day to day basis and get into a routine incorporating plenty of excercise.
    On an annoying note a local settled traveller was heard by my bro. in law boasting that he was on disability for "depression" and his wife was getting a carers allowance for him, changes the car every year (ok "only" a clio) and does the local estates flogging dodgy dvds, seems if your a non resident or member of a minority group you qualify for a different set of rules.

mikehn wrote: »
    Best of luck with your application, having to worry about this as well i'm sure isnt helping your situation, try and take things on a day to day basis and get into a routine incorporating plenty of excercise.
    On an annoying note a local settled traveller was heard by my bro. in law boasting that he was on disability for "depression" and his wife was getting a carers allowance for him, changes the car every year (ok "only" a clio) and does the local estates flogging dodgy dvds, seems if your a non resident or member of a minority group you qualify for a different set of rules.

Im glad you said it.... its very unfair:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

I dont know if DA appeals process is done through the main Appeals Office, but I appealed a One Parent Family matter in 2009, and it took 6 months!

That aside, does anyone know how if sleep apnea is considered for Disability Allowance? My GP told me to apply and waiting for the decision, but she was doubtful. Have had the sleep study and now using cpap, it has helped a good bit, but still get sleepy and tired from midday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

mikehn wrote: »

Perhaps the fact that he finds lots of buyers for his dodgy DVDs encourages him to screw the system for everything he can get, just like his DVD customers are doing.

Advertisement