Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Search by voice actions

• 12-08-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPPcTN5sdX4

wow looks impressive ... it is on the marketplace but not available in ireland ... i can see it on App Brain but cannot install .. anyone any idea how to get it without rooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

No joy here either, not showing in market for N1 on 2.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/08/just-speak-it-introducing-voice-actions.html

I follow their twitter like a religion as you literally get up to the minute info on new stuff.

It truely looks amazing and something I'm looking to get on my phone asap.

I'm already using the voice search and voice on sat nav and maps so much and the gesture search big time, this app would simply make this phone incredible.

Like yourself it seems completely unavailable on the app store as of now, hopefully it comes in soon.

I use the ability of reading texts aloud to me alot when in dock mode at my pc, so the ability to talk out a text is serious business for me :)

market://details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch

The link above works fine

I went to

http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/

http://www.google.com/mobile

is a quality site that sends you texts messages of the app links

Two minutes using this app and im in love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

market://details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch

nab it from that link, works for me on Froyo 2.2 Desire

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

i tried that earlier and it did not work but works now and is on thw marketplace now also:):) going playing now

• Advertisement

It's showing in the market now :)

It is a little bit typical, not really getting the irish accent buts its trying and doing well.

I've now moved pretty much hands free texting. I wish the text to speech was a little better but im sure in time.

I'm using it the last ten mins sending my texts and its very simple and fluid to use.

Getting terrible recognition - hopefully it's a temporary thing
    Server errors all over the shop too. Only to be expected I the first few hours I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

I can get "Map of" and "Directions To" to work well, but I can't get anything working with contacts... You should be able to say "Send Text to Dave, Hello" ... it opens a new text message but the contact doesn't appear. Anyone get this to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

brian_rbk wrote: »
    I can get "Map of" and "Directions To" to work well, but I can't get anything working with contacts... You should be able to say "Send Text to Dave, Hello" ... it opens a new text message but the contact doesn't appear. Anyone get this to work?

Cant get anything text related to work, contacts things work sporadically i.e phonecalls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

What about the Chrome to Android app - pretty cool too, just released.
    :D
    Speech servers a bit messed up at the moment

tui0hcg wrote: »
    What about the Chrome to Android app - pretty cool too, just released.

Cool .. can't find the chrome extension though, have you installed it?

The text thing is working fine for me.

The reason its going through a server is to collect data and improve recognition supposidly...

TheDoc wrote: »
    The text thing is working fine for me.

The reason its going through a server is to collect data and improve recognition supposidly...

interesting, i guess it will get better with time then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ya Chrome to Phone installed and much joy sending silly websites to my phone from PC. It will send numbers and maps too. There is an extension for ypur Chrome on the PC and one for Firefox too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

brian_rbk wrote: »
    Cool .. can't find the chrome extension though, have you installed it?
    Both the Chrome extension and app are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hmmm, apparently I suck at speaking!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

hmmm, apparently I suck at speaking!!!!
    I did too.
    Then I set it to English(Generic) in voice recognition settings(under Voice input & output) and its picking up almost everything perfect now.

Can anyone recommend a good music listening app?It doesnt play from the standard music application with the listen to command.I dont think so anyway

if you change the settings from English (UK) to English (US) or generic as previous poster said it works
    not perfect but Im sure it will get better

Edit: I dont see all options on English (generic) only US

to set these press menu when in voice search..

I noticed when you pull up the voice search and scroll across the voice actions when in English (UK) it only has "nav to" "directions to" "map of" "call"
    so the text and email options etc will not work.

for listen to to work you will need an internet music app such as last fm... the search looks on the internet for music and not music stored on the SD.

ftm2008 wrote: »
    if you change the settings from English (UK) to English (US) or generic as previous poster said it works
    not perfect but Im sure it will get better

to set these press menu when in voice search..

I noticed when you pull up the voice search and scroll across the voice actions when in English (UK) it only has "nav to" "directions to" "map of" "call"
    so the text and email options etc will not work.

for listen to to work you will need an internet music app such as last fm... the search looks on the internet for music and not music stored on the SD.
    Would you recommend Last FM as the best one to use?
    Never been a big music streamer but itd really come in handy in the car :)

• Advertisement

TBH i dont use it and not going to just for this feature .. im sure an update will come out to search your sd at some stage

last fm and pandaro are supposed to be the best of them but someone else who uses them would be better informed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

As far as I'm aware, none of the music apps support streaming in ireland. Pandora and rdio are US only, last.fm only officially supports mobile streaming from uk, us, and germany and the latest versions have locked out everybody else.

You can still stream using the older versions (up to 1.5.6) but you have to be a subscriber.

Sweaty bumgrapes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I can't get this installed. Also i can't uninstall the old version of voice search. Are you all using stock 2.2? Maybe its because I'm using the Leedroid rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

using stock 2.2. works great

these guys Vlingo have been selling a voice app for the last while for $10 .. they're offering it for free now to compete with google.
    worth checking out .. it seems quite good.

Vlingo

Got it working in the end. Had to get it elsewhere since it wouldn't install from the market for some reason. The second apk in this post for anyone else having trouble.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/69489-google-voice-search-apks.html#post725632

Lol, when I say "call john smith at home" it thinks I'm saying "call john's new iphone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Isn't it call john smith ON home and not AT home? Maybe that's why it gets confused and defaults to a more basic handset :)
    EGriff wrote: »
    Got it working in the end. Had to get it elsewhere since it wouldn't install from the market for some reason. The second apk in this post for anyone else having trouble.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/69489-google-voice-search-apks.html#post725632

Lol, when I say "call john smith at home" it thinks I'm saying "call john's new iphone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

EGriff wrote: »
    I can't get this installed. Also i can't uninstall the old version of voice search. Are you all using stock 2.2? Maybe its because I'm using the Leedroid rom.

You have to delete the old voiceserarch.apk from /system/app using adb in recovery mode

adb shell
    cd /system/app
    rm VoiceSearch.apk

don't forget to mount /system first
    you can now download and install new version from the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

You have to delete the old voiceserarch.apk from /system/app using adb in recovery mode

adb shell
    cd /system/app
    rm VoiceSearch.apk

don't forget to mount /system first
    you can now download and install new version from the market

I didn't do the above, just installed and bobs your uncle!

Genius addition too, couple friends jsut got iPhone 4's and were going on about them. wiped out mine and said yours do this? Boom!:D

eoferrall wrote: »
    I didn't do the above, just installed and bobs your uncle!

You only have to do that for LeeDroid's rom - think it's because the old APK is in the rom and it won't update it from the market - other roms might be affected, but stock should just update straight from the market

You only have to do that for LeeDroid's rom - think it's because the old APK is in the rom and it won't update it from the market - other roms might be affected, but stock should just update straight from the market

Ah right fair enough!

I didn't have to do anything that complicated, just got an apk from another forum, see my post on the last page. But i think I'll have to do the steps you pointed out eventually anyway because i won't get updates to the voice app since I didn't get it from the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Of course "Google Search by voice actions" will use your data allowance, when you say "Go to Irish Times", but will it use data when you use it to bring up your built in phone capabilities i.e. "Text to John holiday booked"

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

k123456 wrote: »
    Of course "Google Search by voice actions" will use your data allowance, when you say "Go to Irish Times", but will it use data when you use it to bring up your built in phone capabilities i.e. "Text to John holiday booked"

The entire process requires access to Google's servers and computers in order to work out what your saying so a certain amount of data has to be sent and the corresponding reply will also require some data usage. How much exactly will vary depending on what you're saying or doing but it'll ultimately come out of your monthly allowence if your not on wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

This app is class! Only problem is I'll be going around like a spa talking to my phone from now on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh wow, I know Mike LeBeau!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

brilliant thing...though i noticed for longer sentences its not great...gets very confused...but up to 3 or 4 words is grand usually ;)

their new navigation is superb too :) just kinda annoying that you need data access...wish they implemented something live on ovi maps where you can just download the maps and poi's so you wouldnt need data connection

Anyone else having problems with "Mail to" and "Text to"?

F'rinstance I say "send text to Dave* .. Hi Dave"

it comes up with the send text dialog and the To: field unpopulated, and the body message is "Dave hi Dave"

when i hit the speech bubble in the to field and say "Dave" it says "No matches found"

I guess it's not really ready for regular punters, just the annoying git in the Google video!

*names changed to protect the innocent

Anyone else having problems with "Mail to" and "Text to"?

F'rinstance I say "send text to Dave* .. Hi Dave"

it comes up with the send text dialog and the To: field unpopulated, and the body message is "Dave hi Dave"

when i hit the speech bubble in the to field and say "Dave" it says "No matches found"

I guess it's not really ready for regular punters, just the annoying git in the Google video!

*names changed to protect the innocent
    you need to say the full name and mobile i find (mobile most likely as I have diff numbers for most contacts)

eg "send text to dave smith mobile hello..." fills dave smiths mobile number to to field and hello... to body of text.

• Advertisement

you need to say the full name and mobile i find (mobile most likely as I have diff numbers for most contacts)

eg "send text to dave smith mobile hello..." fills dave smiths mobile number to to field and hello... to body of text.

Thanks for the help - unfortunately that just puts "Dave mobile hi Dave" in the body text!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Hey,

I was having trouble with the Text and Email. It was picking up everything I said and then going off and googleing it. Eg. if i said "Text to John how are you" it went off and googled that piece of text.

Its mentioned a few posts up that you have to set the Language to US American. I just did that and now its working fine.

great app. Used the "Navigate to" over the weekend while driving and it worked a charm.

Thanks Nedd - switching to US English made no difference - just can't get it to fill the pesky "To" field ... ah well i'm sure it's great when it works!

Wonder is it not reading your phonebook? like people who had the issues with the phonebook and cabbage? they were in the phonebook but not the google phonebook. people synced to gmail and it sorted their issues, do you use gmail?

Have a look at the cabbage thread maybe?

Wonder is it not reading your phonebook? like people who had the issues with the phonebook and cabbage? they were in the phonebook but not the google phonebook. people synced to gmail and it sorted their issues, do you use gmail?

Have a look at the cabbage thread maybe?

Ahhh - i think perhaps that's the issue - i don't use gmail ... i'll try syncing contacts and see where that gets me

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I updated it using the link back in this thread and it seems to be doing a bit better since I switched it to English (US) - I think my problem is I speak too fast tho :)

Does it learn as you use it more? Would be nice if I could get it to a point where I could just reply to messages by voice when in the car.

Regarding the different languages, I downloaded it off the Market and it was on English (Generic) by default. And everything works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

To get texting or phone calls to work your contact must be in Gmail contacts. It won't work otherwise. I also changed to English US. I'm not sure that is necessary but others seem to indicate that it is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So this only works with Android 2.2 right? I have a Motorola Milestone so looks like I may have to wait for the update...

niallo24 wrote: »
    So this only works with Android 2.2 right? I have a Motorola Milestone so looks like I may have to wait for the update...
    You can use Vlingo, it should be free on the market now. They've jus made it free to compete with Google but I believe it'll work from 1.5 upwards... I dunno how similar it is, it could be way better than Voice Actions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement