Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can I do?

• 12-08-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Here are the facts first of all.

I'm 26. Left my job of six years in the middle of May to move home to parent's house because I want to pursue further education in the UK.
    Starting a 1 year course in NI in September (I dropped out of science degree when I was in 1st year when I was 18, and didn't qualify for state grant then). Also I don't qualify for any grant for the 1 year course in NI (it's not undergrad, but helps me get into a biomedical undergrad in UK), I know this for sure as I spoke to my VEC where I lived for the past 8 years, and also my parent's local VEC.
    I have been looking consistently for jobs in NI and have had 4 interviews, but nothing so far.
    A month after I moved home I signed on in my local Soc Welfare office. They asked me if I was returning to college and I said no. They sent me a letter saying I was entitled to full JSB even though I'd said I was living at home, so I have been collecting it ever since. They also approved it 2 weeks after I first went in, even though I'd read that it took up to 9 weeks.
    Basically, when I enroll in the college in September, I will have to sign off. But this will cut off any money I have coming in if I don't find a job. I have little savings, and my parents can't afford to fund me at all.
    My course will be spread over 3 days, and basically until I find a job I intend to come back down every Wednesday to collect in the PO.
    Any other suggestions I'd like to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Yes. Next time you intend on committing fraud, don't post about it on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JohnM81

Try the Back To Education Allowance scheme (BTEA), it's provided by the social welfare and basically entitles you to paid benefits whilst attending an approved course. Its also not means tested, might be worth a look to see if you are entitled to it or not. Details on the welfare website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tootloo

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for BTEA because I have only been receiving benefits for 2 months or so. Defintely no grant for the course either. And I don't qualify for help off any departments in NI.

I don't WANT to commit benefit fraud. I have been working solid for years in a very physically demanding job, I also have some savings, and I'm saving most of my JSB every week, sometimes all of it. I feel sick at the thought of moving up there and within months using all my savings on rent and living and not being able to fund myself and having to move back home. Once I get through this one year course, I will be getting a student loan from UK to attend my choice of course there. I just don't have any support until then unless I manage to get work.

I really, really hope I get a job within the next few weeks.. but there aren't as many going up there as people say.

Advertisement