Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4/EDGE/DSTT/etc DS Cards

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm looking to buy an R4 card or something similer, but I still have a few questions.

Which is the best card to get? EDGE/R4/DSTT or some other one? (ie, best value for money and least comlpicated to use)

Where would I be able to buy them in Dublin WITHOUT having to go online?

If I bought on online, where is the best site to buy it from? (free shipping would be handy)

And with the R4 boxes (I think they're called R4 SDHC), do I get everything I need, or do I have to buy a micro SD card or something else separately?

I saw and R4 SDHC Gold box + 100 free games in a shop in town for Eur 39.99. I dunno if that's a good price for something like this. I checked online but I can't find an average price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving to Console Modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The best card out there is Acekard 2.1 (or 2i).

Stay away from R4 or anything to do with them - clones of clones, bad cards etc.

No, €39.99 is a terrible deal for the hardware and those 100 games are illegal ROMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glenb94

OK deadly. Thanks. Iwas a bit sketchy about the R4 cos there was alot about fake cards and illegality. :eek:

Do you know the best place to buy this Acekard? And is there specific versions for DS Lite & DSi cos I've got a DS Lite.

Thanks

You need the Acekard 2.1 for your DSLite and not the Acekard 2i which is for the DSi.

I'm afraid I don't know where you can pick up one in Dublin, the best price is off the internet (about €25 for the Acekard, 4GB SDHC and postage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You need the Acekard 2.1 for your DSLite and not the Acekard 2i which is for the DSi.

2i works on both the lite and dsi - probably worth picking one up in case the lite needs to be replaced.
    I'm afraid I don't know where you can pick up one in Dublin, the best price is off the internet (about €25 for the Acekard, 4GB SDHC and postage).

There are fake acekards out there, the real firmwares (and AKAIO) check and won't work on the fakes (not sure if they brick them) - make 100% sure you're getting a real acekard - preferably by checking with someone (that you trust) who has bought one from the site.

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    There are fake acekards out there, the real firmwares (and AKAIO) check and won't work on the fakes (not sure if they brick them) - make 100% sure you're getting a real acekard - preferably by checking with someone (that you trust) who has bought one from the site.

Just buy off the official resellers list

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Just buy off the official resellers list

They're pretty expensive for shipping. Does anyone recommend other stores or sellers for buying real ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Maybe try shoptemp.com, i think they do free delivery to Ireland.

another thing, if you have a DSi then the 2i won't work out of the box, it needs a firmware patch - for this you need access to a DSlite. Alternatively some sellers will apply the patch for you - shoptemp do for an extra euro or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glenb94

Had a look at shoptemp.com and its seems pretty fantastic. Just a couple of things though...

It has a picture of just the Acekard 2i, but I'm assuming it also includes the micro SD adapter? Do I need to download a certain software too?

It's possible to get a 2GB memory card with firmware update + 25 apps preloaded. This bumps the price up from $12.95 to $21.95. I'm just wondering would it be better to get the memory card in a shop here and download the firmware myself?

It would save a lot of hassle for $9 though.

Advertisement