Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing shower cubicle on uneven wall surface?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help!

I have a shower in a downstairs ensuite that is never used. The walls are tiled and all that's left to do is install the shower cubicle.

The problem I have just noticed is that the there are 3 different types of tile on the wall, the top and bottom ones are flush but the middle "border" row of tiles is uneven, with like a rope design. I hope this makes sense; basically the middle row of border tile is not flush with the rest of the wall due to the design of it.

Is this going to make it impossible to fit a normal shower surround? (The tray is already installed).

I hope someone can tell me what my options are! :o

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fitting of the shower enclosure i presume you are talking about?

If its the rope type border its pretruding about half an inch or so...

something has got to give.. either the borser at the point where the shower cubicle meets the wall, or part of the shower cubicle.. personally i cant advise you to cut the cubicle as this will void any warrenty..

Do you have any of the borser left over or can you get some?

I would replace the 2 pces of border at that point and gently take a minigrinder to the raised bit of the new border the thickness of the frame, leaving it back flush, if you do it correct when you refit the borser pces it will sit flush.

Do it slowley, as tiles can be brittle

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

snyper wrote: »
    Fitting of the shower enclosure i presume you are talking about?

If its the rope type border its pretruding about half an inch or so...

something has got to give.. either the borser at the point where the shower cubicle meets the wall, or part of the shower cubicle.. personally i cant advise you to cut the cubicle as this will void any warrenty..

Do you have any of the borser left over or can you get some?

I would replace the 2 pces of border at that point and gently take a minigrinder to the raised bit of the new border, if you do it correct when you refit the borser pces it will sit flush.

Do it slowley, as tiles can be brittle

Thanks Snyper!

I think I have some of the boarder left so I'll give it a go (or more likely get someone else to do it for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

When you are removing the border make sure that you scrap out the grout around the border or else it will loosen the tiles above and below border. Best of luck with it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

When you are removing the border make sure that you scrap out the grout around the border or else it will loosen the tiles above and below border. Best of luck with it.:rolleyes:

Thanks! It'll be a while but I'll update with progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

A good shower door fitter will have no problem getting around that.

If your doing it yourself its a little work.

The most important thing is the shower door measurement

Is it

A quadrant

A bi fold

Corner entry

Take a top middle and bottom measurement,

• Advertisement
Advertisement