Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáil in Northern Ireland.

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

FROM WIKIPEDIA.

On 17 September 2007 Fianna Fáil announced that the party would, for the first time, organise in Northern Ireland.
    Foreign Minister, Dermot Ahern, is to chair a committee on the matter: "In the period ahead Dermot Ahern will lead efforts to develop that strategy for carrying through this policy, examining timescales and structures. We will act gradually and strategically. We are under no illusions. It will not be easy. It will challenge us all. But I am confident we will succeed," [5]
    The party embarked on its first ever recruitment drive north of the border on the 25th and 26th of September in northern universities, and established two 'Political Societies', the William Drennan Cumann in Queens University, Belfast, and the Watty Graham Cumann in UU Magee, Derry.
    Bertie Ahern announced on 7 December 2007 that Fianna Fáil had been registered in Northern Ireland by the UK Electoral Commission.[6] There has been speculation about an eventual merger with the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP),[7] formerly the main Irish nationalist party in the Northern ireland, but now smaller than Sinn Féin. This has been met with a mixed reaction with former Deputy Leader of the SDLP, Seamus Mallon, stating he would be opposed to any such merger. On 23 February 2008, it was announced that a former UUP councillor, Colonel Harvey Bicker, had joined FF.[8]
    The 2009 Ardfheis announced the establishment of Fianna Fáil Fora across Northern Ireland, initially on a County-by-County basis. The first formally established Forum is the Armagh Forum, subsequently fora have been established in Counties Down and Fermanagh, further organisation continues. This Ardfheis also elected Mark Hughes, a member from Armagh, to the Party's Ard Chomhairle (National Executive).
    In November 2009, at the National Youth Conference in Bundoran, Ógra Fianna Fáil decided to add the position of Northern Representative to the committee to reflect the organisations 32 county status.
    On the 22nd July 2010 Taoiseach Brian Cowen opened the first Fianna Fail office in the town of Crossmaglen. The event was visited by several high profile TD's.

I am looking for Northern Ireland peoples view on this.
    Do you think it is a good devlopment?

If not, why not?
    Personally I think it is good because I think over time they will eat into the SF vote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you want this moved to the politics forum drop me a PM.

Thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do you think it is a good devlopment?

If not, why not?
    Why not ask "if so, why?"

There is an entire negativity built up around Fianna Fáil, that should be directed at every other party if it is to be directed at Fianna Fáil, as there is very little difference in the operation of any party on this island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I dont think the people in ni would be gullible enough to vote for these criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can't imagine anyone in NI voting for FF. What are they offering us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

FF in NI? that'd be interesting. They'd ruin everything without firing a shot. FF arent a "nationalist" party by the way, maybe they should rename themselves Me Fein?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Where was Fianna Fail for the past 30 years?

Personally, I do not welcome another Nationalist party in the six counties. At a time when Unionists are suffering from the woes of a split electoral vote, I do not think it is wise to create the conditions for the same disunity amongst Nationalists in the future.
    The DUP and UUP are both considering some sort of future alliance at the moment. If Nationalists want to remain dominant in Stormont then the introduction of new parties should be avoided, as it will invariably lead to fragmented Nationalist representation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The defenders of FF always harp on with the same old refrain, "they're all the same". That's as may be but we have no evidence of it.
    What we do have is evidence that FF is a contaminant, every public body in the state is built up around the same standards. We have a lazy, ill disciplined police force, a fat over fed public service, a regulatory system that doesn't regulate, a statute book that could capsize Titanic but criminals walking the streets, and so on ad infinitum. This is due in no small measure to the nod and wink culture of FF, where high standards are non existent and the aim is "get what you can, while you can".
    I think the people of NI have suffered enough, why in God's name would they want to inflict this on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone in NI voting for FF. What are they offering us?
    Corruption, shady dealings with land rezoning, dodgy short term economic policies that will result in massive housing costs and ultimately a huge property crash, no ethics whatsoever, claiming "expenses" hand over fist, even going so far as to submit fake invoices to do so.......what more could you want?

Seriously: look at the difference between the NI electorate and ours. Robinson, despite being a stalwart of unionism for 30 odd years and First Minister, was deposed of his seat as soon as revelations of something "iffy" came to light. In the republic we'd have re-elected him with a landslide majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

murphaph wrote: »
    .......what more could you want?
    Party members involved in Protection Rackets(from shops to drug dealers), gaining finances from cross-boarder smuggling, a more hands on approach with the banks....

You talk about expenses scandle...try IRA Army Council scandle and young Martin is still there...

You can't even compare the politics in the two countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

delta720 wrote: »
    Party members involved in Protection Rackets(from shops to drug dealers), gaining finances from cross-boarder smuggling, a more hands on approach with the banks....

You talk about expenses scandle...try IRA Army Council scandle and young Martin is still there...

You can't even compare the politics in the two countries!
    The North's politics seems to be improving, ours is going the other way with more expenses scandals appearing daily. My point still stands...the north needs FF like a hole in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Personally I think it is good because I think over time they will eat into the SF vote.

You'd have to quantify "over time".

In 50 years time, (after much wild speculative talk about a rebranded resurgent FF), sure why not. Realistically and for the forseeable future, however, theres not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

paky wrote: »
    I dont think the people in ni would be gullible enough to vote for these criminals

I presume you're being sarcastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Where was Fianna Fail for the past 30 years?

Personally, I do not welcome another Nationalist party in the six counties. At a time when Unionists are suffering from the woes of a split electoral vote, I do not think it is wise to create the conditions for the same disunity amongst Nationalists in the future.
    The DUP and UUP are both considering some sort of future alliance at the moment. If Nationalists want to remain dominant in Stormont then the introduction of new parties should be avoided, as it will invariably lead to fragmented Nationalist representation.
    Nationalists dominate stormont?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would be against this as it could spit the nationalist vote and we could potentially be in a position of infighting like the unionists are now. Anyway, FF would just be a corrupt SDLP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

ninty9er wrote: »

There is an entire negativity built up around Fianna Fáil, that should be directed at every other party if it is to be directed at Fianna Fáil, as there is very little difference in the operation of any party on this island.

Fianna fail is the monsters daddy ,like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Anything that takes votes away from Sinn Fein is to be welcomed in my opinion.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Anything that takes votes away from Sinn Fein is to be welcomed in my opinion.
    Why? Have the nationalist vote split, hence lose nationalist seats to the unionists? What would that accomplish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Why? Have the nationalist vote split, hence lose nationalist seats to the unionists? What would that accomplish?

Less murderers getting rewarded with positions of power?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Less murderers getting rewarded with positions of power?
    Nice cheap shot there.

Nice cheap shot there.
    Cheap but true. I'd rather see more moderate nationalists in power and Fianna Fail may fill the gap that was left by the SDLP's horrible performance in the polls.

• Advertisement

Cheap but true. I'd rather see more moderate nationalists in power and Fianna Fail may fill the gap that was left by the SDLP's horrible performance in the polls.
    Well I am not going to get into a debate about the troubles here, but all FF would do is to take votes away from nationalists(many seats were won by small numbers) and result in more unionists in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

They cant even do a good job in the Republic :rolleyes:

Well I am not going to get into a debate about the troubles here, but all FF would do is to take votes away from nationalists(many seats were won by small numbers) and result in more unionists in power.
    Well, that's democracy.

I wonder would they take up their seats in the commons?

Well, that's democracy.
    So you would like to see more unionists taking seats then?

Tell me this, what does FF offer that the SDLP don't?

So you would like to see more unionists taking seats then?
    I like to see democracy working.
    Tell me this, what does FF offer that the SDLP don't?
    A professional political vote grabbing machine.

TBH I doubt that many will even vote for FF with the mess they made down south. But enough may to damage the nationalist vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ninty9er wrote: »

Proof please?

Fianna Fail have been shown time and time again to be both corrupt and incompetent, can you prove the same for all the other parties?

It's an absolute mystery to me why people in the South continue to vote Fianna Fail, but on the otherhand, I despise SF, so hopefully the move up north will weaken both parties.

TBH I doubt that many will even vote for FF with the mess they made down south. But enough may to damage the nationalist vote.
    With any hope it will push Sinn Fein as much into obscurity in the North as they are in the South.

• Advertisement

With any hope it will push Sinn Fein as much into obscurity in the North as they are in the South.
    I highly doubt that that will happen. You can't just walk into the norths politics and take over.

Advertisement