Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Old Cemetery in Ballyfermot

• 12-08-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently found out that my Great Grandfather is buried in the Old graveyard in Ballyfermot. I think near Le Fanu park, though I'm not too sure.
    He died in 1914 when my Grandfather was 6 months old.

I'd really love to find this grave, as I found my Great grandmothers grave in Esker Lucan about 3 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about this graveyard and more importantly, is it still there.

Thanks.

Comments

I believe it's down the Raheen Park end but I've never been there so couldn't tell you what's left of it, if anything. I never ventured that far down the park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

suey71 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently found out that my Great Grandfather is buried in the Old graveyard in Ballyfermot. I think near Le Fanu park, though I'm not too sure.
    He died in 1914 when my Grandfather was 6 months old.

I'd really love to find this grave, as I found my Great grandmothers grave in Esker Lucan about 3 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about this graveyard and more importantly, is it still there.

Thanks.

hi there, i used to live there when i was a kid. late 70s early 80s.

i remember some headstones but we used to play there. i think it wasnt

a graveyard then, and eventually it was absorbed into the park. there is

no trace of it now. but if you go to the 1st block of houses on

raheen park and face the park, called le fanu park. but known as

"the lawns" thats it. it was a high mound but it has been flattened

out to the same level as the park. i hope this helps you.

and im also sorry if im the bearer of bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thanks for the feedback.

My mother was told recently that it was behind the swimming pool, though this info might have been from someone who hasn't visited the area in quite a while.

I'll be in the area during the week so I'll do a bit of grave hunting then, but sadly I too think that it might have been built over.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

suey71 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

My mother was told recently that it was behind the swimming pool, though this info might have been from someone who hasn't visited the area in quite a while.

I'll be in the area during the week so I'll do a bit of grave hunting then, but sadly I too think that it might have been built over.

Thanks again.

the pool is at the opposite end of the park. there is absolutely no trace of the graveyard. i maybe wrong but i dont think so. its beyond me how they can just build over a graveyard. crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Hi OP,

I'm a teacher in a local school and brought my class to the spot where the graveyard was. Sad;y there's nothing left to see above ground. The directions given above are correct. I read however that there were crypts in the yard as well as traditional graves.....so there's still a lot of stuff going on below ground!

If you still want to learn more about it, I recommend you go to the website of Ordanance Survey Ireland (www.osi.ie). Go to the "online shop" section and then go to "browse maps". It's all free and when you do this, you get an interactive map of Ireland, similar to google maps. The difference is that all the images are from aerial photography so every part of the country is equally clearly visible, so you can look at the site of the graveyard today. The best thing about the website though is that the OSI let you change the image from a current photo to one five years old and even as far back as early maps from the 17th century, so you can see the spot where the graveyard was and when it disappeared.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thats sad but great info, and thanks to everyone that replied. I might take my mother to the site itself during the week to see where the actual graveyard was.

Thanks gwjones42 Thats some site you linked me to there.

Thanks again

Suey71.

Advertisement