Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Broadband SCAM...

• 12-08-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

So I signed up to Vodafone's 24Mb broadband package a few months ago paying €67 a month incl. landline service. After ridiculously slow Internet I decided to run a few speed tests (6 per day for 30 days!!) to gauge what sort of speeds I was getting at different times of the day. Turns out it peaked at just over 4Mb at 2.11am one monday night - strange for a 24Mb line! So I rang up to complain and spoke to a Tech support agent who let slip that I was on an 8Mb profile for the past 3 months. When I asked him why I was on an 8Mb profile but paying for a 24Mb line, he said well we don't have the technology to provide a 24Mb line!!! So I asked why they sold it to me then knowing why they couldn't provide it he said well its UP TO 24Mb!!!

After to-ing and fro-ing with various support agents, supervisors, customer service reps and managers I was finally offered a €60 refund (i.e. the difference between the 8Mb and 24Mb packages) and sent on my merry way!! Needless to say I didn't feel very good about Vodafone after their minimalist approach to customer issue resolution!

I think it is a disgrace that these companies get away with this kind of thing. It has to be a breach of consumer rights to sell a product that they can't provide, moreover not even make an effort to put you on the correct profile to begin with.

It looks like Eircom are up to it as well because they offer a 24Mb package also but not sure??? But if you are with Vodafone I would be very wary they don't call them the rip-off network for nothing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Welcome to Irish broadband my dear friend

Its an absolute joke

Do yourself a favour and contact UPC and see if they are available in your area

Thats when you'll see "REAL" broadband speeds...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is this on a small exchange that was recently launched OP ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Why dont you raise an official complaint with VF, they give you a reference no that you can then forward on to COMREG and state VF sold you a pup. It is instances like these that COMREG can get their teeth into as you have them dead to rights. You should get all your money back.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Why dont you raise an official complaint with VF, they give you a reference no that you can then forward on to COMREG and state VF sold you a pup. It is instances like these that COMREG can get their teeth into as you have them dead to rights. You should get all your money back.

gb--

GB, rest assured, the only thing Comreg will ever get their teeth into, is a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

thats pretty diabolical really, the service is ridiculous in this country

lets all move to finland where its a Legal right to have at least a 1mb broadband line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

-=al=- wrote: »
    lets all move to finland where its a Legal right to have at least a 1mb broadband line!

better yet we all write to the minister for communications to give upc loads of money to expand their network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

How far are you away from the exchange, cause even when they have your area upgraded to the ADSL2 distance is a killer.

Anything more than 1 1/2 miles and you'll never get higher than 8.
    The fact that you're getting 4 on an 8MB profile now doesn't look too promising for you TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jbkenn wrote: »
    GB, rest assured, the only thing Comreg will ever get their teeth into, is a sandwich.
    doubtful. i'm pretty sure that comreg's teeth are sitting in a glass jar on a shelf in eircom HQ. they'd have to beg for them back to get their teeth into something as tough as a sandwich. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

dunworth1 wrote: »
    better yet we all write to the minister for communications to give upc loads of money to expand their network
    Impossible. They have thrown all the money to a large mass money burning machine called bankrupt banks.

This country has better things to do than supporting innovation. :P

Advertisement