Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know your nextdoor neighbours by first name?

• 12-08-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I dont think many people do. I know mine on the right, but not the left. Just trying to get a general feel for how many people do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. I know both of them

Its nice to be social

Depends on where you live of course.

If you live in an estate where alot of the houses are rented, people come and go

If you were from longford, your next door neighbour could be a cyclops, and scare your children

Where i'm originally from, we knew all our neighbours, and quite well actually. We lived in a small cul-de-sac. About 12 houses on the street. Where I live now, I haven't a clue who my neighbours are and I love it like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I know mine by nickname. There's B*stard and Sh*thead and etc. etc.

Can get awkward when saying hello and you accidentally say their nickname instead of their actual names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

yeah, on the right, on the left for 3 houses, across the road, and about 8 other houses in the estate. but in fairness it is an older estate and very friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've been living on the same row for 20 years, there have been 9 families living here in that time.

3 since the start, 3 moved away and 3 blowins

Know all that were here from the start and 1 lot of the blow ins.

The other 2 I don't know at all, all I do know is they are settled travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yup know both sides plus the neighbours to their sides and so on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yeah, I know my neighbours by name for about 4 houses on either side of me.
    I actually leave my front door wide open when my kids are outside playing (not unlocked, wide open) I mentioned this at work and was met with disbelief all round.
    Is it that unusual these days?

CPL 593H

I dont think many people do. I know mine on the right, but not the left. Just trying to get a general feel for how many people do.

Just noticed, you're in athlone too..

Open your Window, im going outside to scream.. see if you can hear me..

brb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

yep

'Buddy' is on one side

'Pal' is on the other.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shoryuken

i know his name alright, but does he know mine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I know mine by name on both sides, Small community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I live in a rural area, about 10 miles from Galway, only about 45 houses in our cul-de-sac,( there was 2 houses 15 years ago) at a guess, wouldn't know half of them. Know the people each side of me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Dont know any of them, dont want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Grunt on one side and Nod on the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yup, I know my nextdoor neighbours by their first names. As well as most of the rest of the street. We've all lived on the street for over 20 years.

Can't say I know the ones who've moved in in the last few years, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

ya i know all my neighbours names...
    But i like to call them..the [EMAIL="f@cker"]f@cker[/EMAIL] with the noisy dogs and the pr!ck with the noisy rooster:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I live in an apartment block, I'd just about know my neighbours to see ... don't know any names! Only real contact I ever had with them was to borrow a corkscrew once. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Yep, I know loads of my neighbours by first name, not just my next door ones.

I grew up in what would be considered a working class area, and there's a great sense of community spirit here. Loads of my neighbours, even a few who'd be a bit rough around the edges are all really nice people when you get chatting to them. As a kid I spent loads of time in my friends parents houses, you'd get to know everyone from a fairly young age.

Some lovely people where I live, respectable and hard-working and couldn't ask for nicer neighbours tbh. A few bad apples tarnish the image of the whole place completely thanks to how the meeja likes to play up shock stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I know their names alright yep.
    Could count on one hand the amount of times i've actually had a conversation with them in the 18 or so months i'm living here however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know and chat to them for a few minutes at least once a week .What I like about them is they are both quite sets of people who bother nobody .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Live above shop in town centre, apartment next to us rents fairly frequently, so no.
    In the student flat in Dublin, we at least know their faces. We've two lesbians in their late thirties on one side. On the other it's the two auld biddies who only venture beyond the front door once weekly, to attend evening mass on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I actually do not know my next door neighbours name but that's cos we're both renting... the estate I live in though I know nearly everybody else because I've lived here for the last 23 years, just moved into my own house because I have my own family now, my mother and father live around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I know our next door neighbour as we've minded her cat for her when she went on holidays a few times.:pac:
    I knew the aul lad that lived there before her. He was our landlord's dad. He tried to commit suicide in the apartment and was hospitalised.. :( He died a while later of a heart attack (not in the apartment but in an old folks home).
    I don't know the people living directly below us as they are not that friendly and stuff but the guy living in the basement is a friend of the landlord's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chellypoo74

Nope, just moved in but I will soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I live in an apartment block, I'd just about know my neighbours to see ... don't know any names! Only real contact I ever had with them was to borrow a corkscrew once. :o
    You needed this...

http://wimp.com/wineshoe/

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

New guy just moved in next door, so calling over tonight to welcome him to the area
    Called Larry, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

Einstein wrote: »
    You needed this...

amazing, hope it works. all the wine openers are going out the window now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yup, I know my neighbours on both sides and I'm just a transient renter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont know the ones to the right, even though i say good morning/afternoon to them most days

ones to the left i know by first name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

106 houses. I'd say that I know and get along with about 80% of the people.
    Council estates are awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Neighbour Dan watches my kid and Neighbour Chuck mows my lawn!
    I love my neighbourhood!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nope - just to say hi to (apartment complex). They're very nice and have always assisted me with girlie car-related trouble. :pac:

Lust4Life wrote: »
    Neighbour Dan watches my kid and Neighbour Chuck mows my lawn!
    I love my neighbourhood!:p

If your second neighbours family name is Norris.

DO NOT:
    • Ride his wife
    • wake him when hes asleep
    • steal his drink
    • not laugh at his jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Know most of the people on my road by their first names and have regular dealings with them. Its nice , and its one reason I never want to live in one of those new housing estates. They lack any real soul and community spirit . Inner city FTW!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I live in a village. I know everyone in it. I was born here, moved away for years and then came back again a few years ago. Sometimes when I drive through and I see all the same friendly faces waving at me as I pass by, I die a little inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

cant remember my neighbours names but they know mine - been here one year. back home i knew everyone but i grew up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I know nearly my whole road by first name or the older folk by Mr. or Mrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Einstein wrote: »
    You needed this...

No WAY!

Gotta try this! An excuse for us to have a winey night in tomorrow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

i know most people along my end of the road. Its nice to have a few people to speak to.

Kinda awkward being secluded from your own neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeah, I know both sides by name (and their kids) and would chat to them every few days. Few fools on the road that look the other way. Generally the ones with the most ostentatious cars.

No way near like where I grew up though where I knew the names of every family on the street.

It was all fields there once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

furiousox wrote: »
    Yeah, I know my neighbours by name for about 4 houses on either side of me.
    I actually leave my front door wide open when my kids are outside playing (not unlocked, wide open) I mentioned this at work and was met with disbelief all round.
    Is it that unusual these days?

not weird at all, i leave my door wide open if my little one is playing outside. sometimes i wanna pummel the other kids for wailin in at me though.

i know all the neighbours names around me bar about three houses.

a house two doors down was broken into two nights ago, 06 passat gone, so it has us all out yackin and making sure everyone is being extra safe.

not weird at all, i leave my door wide open if my little one is playing outside. sometimes i wanna pummel the other kids for wailin in at me though.

i know all the neighbours names around me bar about three houses.

a house two doors down was broken into two nights ago, 06 passat gone, so it has us all out yackin and making sure everyone is being extra safe.

Suppose ye all call into each others houses now and a gain for a coffee.

snyper wrote: »

eh? eh? =P

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

snyper wrote: »
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have no idea of my next door neighbours names. Scum to the right and Hungarians to the left that I will say hello to when passing.

Dudess wrote: »
    :eek:

he's one twisted bastard alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I live in a village. I know everyone in it. I was born here, moved away for years and then came back again a few years ago. Sometimes when I drive through and I see all the same friendly faces waving at me as I pass by, I die a little inside.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=self%20loathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'm not big fans of either of my neighbours, "Rock" and "Hard Place" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im a big culchie so Im on first name terms with everyone around me within a 5 mile radius.

• Advertisement
Advertisement