Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know your nextdoor neighbours by first name?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

furiousox wrote: »
    I actually leave my front door wide open when my kids are outside playing (not unlocked, wide open) I mentioned this at work and was met with disbelief all round.
    God, what's so unbelievable about it?! Makes sense if they're young - you can keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

All my neighbours are ignorant ***** so I am glad I don't know them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

snyper wrote: »
    Just noticed, you're in athlone too..

Open your Window, im going outside to scream.. see if you can hear me..

brb

Yo Paulie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Mine where I grew up were called Anne and Barry, when I was a little kid I used to think the books were about them when they were children.

Don't have a next door neighbour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I know the ones on our right fairly well coz they're a nice family.
    Dont want to know our neighbours on the left as they're an inconsiderate noisy bunch of knackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I know the neighbours in the left but the neighbours on the right are weirdos that seem to like to watch their telly at a very loud setting I dont want to know them nobody really else does on the street either
    Anyone that has tried to say hello to them they look through them and ignore them noisy cnuts they are and weird :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

House is vacant to the right and would say hello to the ones on the left.

My road is mainly made up of old families so the women tend to gossip about anything and everything that goes on in the neighbours lives.

TBH i have no interest in knowing who lives on my road or what their names are. I'll stick to my life and they can stick to theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Yeah, I know the immediate neighbours on all sides. They'll take in my bins and stuff like that when I'm not around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Agricola wrote: »
    Im a big culchie so Im on first name terms with everyone around me within a 5 mile radius.

It's known as a small genetic pool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There's Bud, Dos XX, Anchor Steam, and they call me Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

stovelid wrote: »
    It's known as a small genetic pool.

I said we're on first name terms, I didnt say we're all marrying each other!

Well me sister Bridie did marry me 3rd cousin Timpat there last year tbh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i know the neighbours from the house i grew up in, but now i live in an apartment block and i dont know any of them. would say "hello" if passing in the corridor, but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know my immediate neighbours first names and two people up the street. My next door neighbour does not talk to me because of AH. I said something about his dog(it is a sarcasm forum BTW) and somebody here told him what I said and he pulled me up on it.

Now he only says hello and his wife just completely ignores us. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Know all of my neighbours.
    Its one of my jobs to know them (chairman of the residency association).

• Nope. I've only seen them about twice. I don't know anyone's name in the whole building except for one junkie called Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Know them to say hi to but that's about it. I work in the same area I live in so sometimes if one of them comes into the shop we'll have a very quick chat but nothing major. I always find it weird though because on one one side they have three children all around the same age as myself (20-23) but we never really became friends for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

piby wrote: »
    Know them to say hi to but that's about it. I work in the same area I live in so sometimes if one of them comes into the shop we'll have a very quick chat but nothing major. I always find it weird though because on one one side they have three children all around the same age as myself (20-23) but we never really became friends for some reason :confused:

Personal hygiene. That was my problem too. You need to wash more than once a week i find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I know mine by nickname. There's B*stard and Sh*thead and etc. etc.

Can get awkward when saying hello and you accidentally say their nickname instead of their actual names
    lol good post., I don't know their names at all, but I know them to see from the window, and have a special nickname for them all! :)
    Only know my neighbours names left and right of me that's it, Don't know the rest. not a nice crowd to be honest, would hardly acknowledge you to say hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No but we meet up for swinging parties so I know there car keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yup! One of the benefits of living in a proper community of one-off housing! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Nope, apartment block and move about once a year-never even see them tbh.
    Know the group of lads above me though-mental bastids with their parties, thank god theres good sound proofing in ours or Id know em from making complaints rather than getting invites :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

Considering they're mostly all my relations.. Nope. Not really. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Know most of the people on my road by their first names and have regular dealings with them.

They ALL sell drugs ?

Or is it you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I live in the unfriendliest area in Ireland. I don't have neighbours because IMO neighbours are people with whom you are on friendly/speaking terms. So I call them Next Door and Up The Road. :)

Next Door are a family whom I hear but never see. They love noise. Slamming their front door, their car doors, having the TV on full bast in summer with all the windows open, stereo on full blast in the car etc. They also keep three dogs in a cage 24/7 and who howl and whine continuously whenever the family go out. :rolleyes:

Up The Road is an extremely old man and his family. After years of him avoiding me and causing me acute paranoia, I was told that the old fart won't speak to me because I'm a woman. :eek: :rolleyes: :D I've now given up trying to be approachable as I got sick of receiving disapproving messages from him via third parties because he doesn't have the decency to speak to me himself.

Everyone else knows me simply as The Woman In The House, even though I introduced myself to them when I moved here five years ago. They just hate anyone who hasn't lived here for 400 years. Anyone who isn't Irish. Oh, and anyone who isn't a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yep, know all my neighbours because I grew up here.

On the other hand I'd prefer to take a flame thrower to 90% of my girlfriends neighbours than know anything more about that shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

genie wrote: »
    Everyone else knows me simply as The Woman In The House, even though I introduced myself to them when I moved here five years ago. They just hate anyone who hasn't lived here for 400 years. Anyone who isn't Irish. Oh, and anyone who isn't a man.
    Which reminds me ,The Field with Richard Harris and Tom Berenger is on tv over the weekend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Mine are the bollix next door and the other bollix next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I grew up in the countryside, we didn't have next door neighbours. However we did have a vicious feud with the next farm over, and were banned from acknowledging them.

It was a bit like the North vs South Korea divide, with tractors instead of nuclear arms.

Bizarrely enough I live in London now and get on far better with my neighbours than I did in rural Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

There is only a few people my age on the road and I get on well with most of them. I know most of their names (first and second) and there's one or two where I just know their nicknames (for instance an overweight fella called Skinny).

There is a lot of elderly people on my road - I don't know the names of most of them. They seem to rarely leave their houses so I don't get a chance to get to know them. I try to be neighbourly and say hi to them when I do see them out and about, ask them if they need anything, etc.

And there's a prostitute on the road. Everyone on the road knows she's a prostitute, and she's very open about it. I don't want to get to know her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would have known everyone of my neighbours growing up. Still living in the same estate but both the houses oh either side are for rent among others.

The one on the left doesn't care who is living there as long as she gets her money and will only draw the line at people who might try and murder you. The right was empty for a long while, middle eastern couple living there now, haven't really spoken to them yet, they play loud music is all I know but are very respectful of the time so thats fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I live in a block of 8 flats.
    I know the first names of every one in my block.
    When I moved in I made a point of introducing myself to everyone.
    I told them if they ever needed any help, or had any problems they could come to me. I am well respected as a result. Every one of them says hello to me when they see me. I gave every one of them a Christmas card too.
    I have done this every where I have lived. Its just the way I was brought up by my Irish parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I moved into my current apartment, my housemate already knew the next door neighbour who turned out to be a music teacher. Ended up having a few drinks every now and then with him, the only trouble was, my housemate kept referring to him as "the Neighbour" and I forgot his name from the first time he told me.

So for about five months I kept thinking of him as "the neighbour". Hah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    And there's a prostitute on the road. Everyone on the road knows she's a prostitute, and she's very open about it. I don't want to get to know her.

Pics or GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I know both my neighbours but wouldn't every really speak to them-massive age gaps on both sides. I do know a good few in my larger estate that I'd be friendly with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm in a house share and don't know anybody on the road. I've lived in a good many places over the years and didn't know any of the neighbours.

Maybe I should go up to them with a basket of fruit and introduce myself?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Yes, I know the neighbours on both sides plus a few others on the street. It's a friendly enough street but hi and happy christmas is enough for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

I don't know my neighbors, they don't know me. Hopefully it stays like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yeah one of them, forgot it though.

I'm always so focused on seeming normal meeting new people the last thing im able to do is recall a name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

yup, Im from a really settled community, a nice estate, I know them from when we were kids. Ill be moving back out soon, so then it will be zero/face recognition only in the new place :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

knew all the neighbours on the road I grew up on in the 80's & 90's. There was 12 houses in total, nobody talks to anybody were I live now.. kinda sad.

Advertisement