Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

MUST.STOP.READING.THREAD

:pac::pac:
    You shouldn't have read this, it could have been a spoiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You shouldn't have read this, it could have been a spoiler.
    you ba$tard:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Just started playing it now, have it on ultra settings looks amazing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

chrislad wrote: »
    Got mine in GameStop earlier (got a 50 trade in for Tomb Raider, plus student discount, so a total of 2.24 for it!)

She gave me a code, but it's too short to be a Xbox Live code and there doesn't seem to be any option or redeem a code in the market.

If its the pre-order code then try finkmanufacturing.com to redeem

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've found myself just gobsmacked looking at the screen a few time times already. The audio, both music and fx, is stunning too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bought this yesterday on PC. Was debating for ages whether I should as I've been getting highly bored with games since I stopped playing WoW (thank god awful bloodsucking game) a couple years ago. That took alot out of me and made me less interested in games than I used to be.

But thankfully I did buy this as so far haven't been able to put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

Must pick this up tomorrow. Was considering PC for all its graphical goodness, but it's in the kitchen under my bedroom & the missus wouldn't appreciate me blasting d'oul 5.1. The amp is miles better in the sitting room anyway, so Xbox ftw!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shred wrote: »
    Must pick this up tomorrow. Was considering PC for all its graphical goodness, but it's in the kitchen under my bedroom & the missus wouldn't appreciate me blasting d'oul 5.1. The amp is miles better in the sitting room anyway, so Xbox ftw!

If your PC and sound are capable, then don't compromise on this one.

Spear wrote: »
    If your PC and sound are capable, then don't compromise on this one.

The only compromise I'd be making is moving the PC from the kitchen to the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Loving it, it's been so long since a FPS has consistently kept my attention. I'm actually always looking forward to what happens next and not once felt like I'm going through the motions.
    Rescuing Elizabeth scene was thrilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

irishmover wrote: »
    The only compromise I'd be making is moving the PC from the kitchen to the sitting room.

I was certainly thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Funny how many reviews of Tomb Raider complained that she came to terms with killing all too quickly, yet don't seem to mind Elizabeth freaking out that you killed some people one moment, then not taking a blind bit of notice to you disemboweling someone right in front of her a few minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

humanji wrote: »
    Funny how many reviews of Tomb Raider complained that she came to terms with killing all too quickly, yet don't seem to mind Elizabeth freaking out that you killed some people one moment, then not taking a blind bit of notice to you disemboweling someone right in front of her a few minutes later.

I've killed everyone that can be killed! :D i'll wait for the mods so i can go back and kill all the children! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What a sublime opening few hours! Heady themes of xenophobia, American imperialism and religious zealotry run wild - in narrative terms this is already shaping up to be ten times the sequel most manage, and the kind of playful ideological deconstruction that defined Bioshock as a game of genuine smarts. The technicolor world (with its monochrome news reels) that give anachronisms a good name again - that
    God Only Knows
    bit had me smiling for around five minutes straight. The gameplay is visceral - an intense step up from its predecessor without losing that loose, manic combat the series is known for. I'm playing on hard and it's a challenge, although so far a welcome one. The fiscal cost of a respawn is a tad high though - luckily the check point system offers you the luxury of choice.

I look forward to the return trip to this dystopia in the waiting tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm really enjoying this. Loving the clever music throughout and it's a remarkably beautiful game.

Gunplay seemed a bit off until I remembered to turn off mouse acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's pretty long too, think i sunk about 8 hours worth in between today and yesterday - most of that time was just spent rooting around in other peoples things and listening to the songs and various music, it really is brilliant. I dont think i'm even nearly finished either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just found that girl i forget her name, good fun so far i love the crow thing. I am having fps issues though with my GeForce GTX 670 :-(

Lone Stone wrote: »
    just found that girl i forget her name, good fun so far i love the crow thing. I am having fps issues though with my GeForce GTX 670 :-(

I've a 670M (Asus G75vw ROG laptop) and don't have any issues at all only an ever so slight shudder every 5 mins or so... Tried overclocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bioshock 1 was pretty dull, Bioshock 2 was worse.

This, though... This is something special. Gripping action, excellent characterisation, genuinely disturbing themes and a sidekick that actually f*cking helps instead of getting in the way.

Very interesting look at an America that might have been and in some cases has been from the beginning.

And the graphical quality off the PC version is breathtaking. Wasn't sure my machine would manage it, but everything maxed out on DX11 and it's smoother than a baby's bottom. I'm going to find it very hard not to laugh when my flatmates pick it up for their XBoxes and they can't read half the street signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, bioshock 1 was not dull.

On topic. I finally got some time to play it last night, but not much. I like it so far. Looks stunning and scale of it is just mind boggling.
    I really like how they make breaks between full on shooting and full on "enjoy the moment" parts.

It is very very heavy on religion and racism. Easily offended people should not play it I guess. This game would be quite a template how to make a good mature game, the only other game that pulled it off is witcher 1/2.

I really only scratched the surface of the game so far. I love just enjoying environment for a change and not just rush in to finish the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This game would be quite a template how to make a good mature game, the only other game that pulled it off is witcher 1/2.

They really aren't the only games to have pulled it off.

I do always enjoy those opening 'no shooting' prologues to FPS games. This one could have gone on for hours! The 'tutorial carnival' reminded me a bit of Chrono Trigger actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Anyone else start off on 1999 mode? Would like to know what exactly is different in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They really aren't the only games to have pulled it off.

I do always enjoy those opening 'no shooting' prologues to FPS games. This one could have gone on for hours! The 'tutorial carnival' reminded me a bit of Chrono Trigger actually.

I might have worded that a bit too strongly. Though for me, I guess this is personal preference, bioshock infinite and witcher games manage to pull off proper mature theme, without going all derp derp " Look!! Look how mature this game is!!! It's so mature that your nipples will blow off! Ah look at that! How mature is that?! Hardcore bitches!!!".

How bioshock does it: a huge sign on toilets door, which says "restrooms for negro and Irish". That's it. Deal with it. Now lets go, there is a game to be played.

All mature themes just fuse with game. It's all natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@Shadowhearth

I couldn't get into Bioshock 1 after trying several times. Would you still recommend this? Reviews are all very positive and I generally like FPSs but my experience with the first one is putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone else start off on 1999 mode? Would like to know what exactly is different in it.

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/bioshock-infinite/1999_Mode?objectid=14258637
    Effects

Reduced player respawn points
    Reduced ammo
    Any weapon upgrade specializations are permanent
    Any Vigor upgrade specializations are permanent
    Enemies inflict greater damage
    Player has reduced and faster-depleting health

Instructions on the link above for how to access from the start (nice retro cheat code!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm loving the story and the world, but the combat is really annoying me. I'm not dying because the AI is smart, I'm dying because I'm expecting them to be smart and they're just rushing at me even when I'm unloading a gatling gun at them. And the enemies in the distance just run from one bit of cover to another. When I kill one guy, another takes up the exact same position.

I'm just finding it a chore I have to get through to go back to enjoying the game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

humanji wrote:

Well in Tomb Raider its abit more in your face with the story set up, but yeah its a thing that most gamers will brush off rather quickly and forget about. In TR the writer said she would prefered a slower ramp up of shooting, but had to make concessions to gameplay. I don't think its that big of a deal though.
    Sarky wrote:
    Bioshock 1 was pretty dull, Bioshock 2 was worse.

I found the orignal Bioshock was great but for some reason the second never clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr E wrote: »

Instructions on the link above for how to access from the start (nice retro cheat code!)

Indeed, about 4 hours in on 1999. First thing I did was unlock it. It ain't easy, and each victory feels like I've just about survived. The challenge is the thing that allows me to respawn is also the thing that buys upgrades. Too many deaths and all the saving I've been doing for Vigor upgrades is wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads, whats it like for you guys on the PS3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Indeed, about 4 hours in on 1999. First thing I did was unlock it. It ain't easy, and each victory feels like I've just about survived. The challenge is the thing that allows me to respawn is also the thing that buys upgrades. Too many deaths and all the saving I've been doing for Vigor upgrades is wiped out.

I was planning on starting on Hard, but 1999 is getting more appealing.

Did you get the steelbook Mike?

Advertisement