Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Has there been any rumors about DLC and what you get for the season pass?
    I hope to God it wont be some online multiplayer thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Has there been any rumors about DLC and what you get for the season pass?
    I hope to God it wont be some online multiplayer thing.

All single player stuff. Someone mentioned new Vigors, Gear, weapons, etc. Expect each batch to contain new places for sure I reckon. Levine was quoted somewhere as saying some of it was a "love-letter to the fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Finished it there and thought it was ok, all in all. Not great, just ok. I thought the ending was a bit hackneyed, and strangely over-hyped for what it was. I was expecting it to be thought provoking, or at the very least leave me with that uncomfortable feeling I had when I finished Bioshock. But I was just happy it was done and I could move on to something else.

I would like to get my hands on the soundtrack, though. That was pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Could someone remind me about something.

I just found
    Chen Li and have moved to the other world. Elizabeth made a comment about a person I fought - "The one you fought, he was strung on the wall in the other world".

While it's probably not that important, I can't remember this for the life of me. Anyone remember who she is talking about and where it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Love the soundtrack, creates a great sense of tension. Reminds me distinctly of the score from there will be blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tok9 wrote: »
    Could someone remind me about something.

I just found
    Chen Li and have moved to the other world. Elizabeth made a comment about a person I fought - "The one you fought, he was strung on the wall in the other world".

While it's probably not that important, I can't remember this for the life of me. Anyone remember who she is talking about and where it was?

I'm not totally sure but she could be talking about Slate, who you may have spared in your playthrough, I did in mine. And he ends up tortured anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm not totally sure but she could be talking about Slate, who you may have spared in your playthrough, I did in mine. And he ends up tortured anyway.
    no you find slate in a cell prior to jumping worlds. They guy elizabeth is refering to is not a guy booker killed but Flint did, it was his previous head of security and Booker was going to replace him, he was hung up in the lobby of the good time club

I love the game, I savour every narrative and visual element it throws at me with such joy and I am really am taking my time through it.

But I need to say it. The game mechanics are downright broken in some areas.

The new revive system while not as easy as the original bioshock (die, respawn and continue killing with no consequences) nor is it as cruel as system shock 2 (die, respawn loose a tonne of xp & weapons take a hit in status). But in bioshock infinite you can get trapped in what I call the loop of hell. Here you die, respawn with half health and loose a bit of money, but when you respawn all your opponents recover a substantial portion of their health. So in the case of some of the larger enemies (or on one particularly annoying boss) they regain all the damage I have done to them and proceed to wipe the floor with me again. Repeat enedlessly, spawn do a bit of damage, get killed respawn all damage committed is negated and I am out a fair bit of ammo. End up running circles trying to find some or wait for Elizabeth to throw me some.
    F*ck you lady Combstock.

p.s
    I'm only just pass the lady combstock boss, and I'm just going to say this, if it turns out that me and elizabeth are the *same* person from different parallel worlds I might vomit a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    no you find slate in a cell prior to jumping worlds. They guy elizabeth is refering to is not a guy booker killed but Flint did, it was his previous head of security and Booker was going to replace him, he was hung up in the lobby of the good time club

Must have just missed him so for some reason.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    So in the case of some of the larger enemies (or on one particularly annoying boss) they regain all the damage I have done to them and proceed to wipe the floor with me again. Repeat enedlessly, spawn do a bit of damage, get killed respawn all damage committed is negated and I am out a fair bit of ammo. End up running circles trying to find some or wait for Elizabeth to throw me some.
    F*ck you lady Combstock.

Regarding the boss you are referring to,
    That is only generally true the first time you fight her in the graveyard. When you do it again, there is ammo vending machines around. Makes it a lot more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Bloody fantastic, I'm at the part where
    you jump off the bathysphere after leaving the first area of Rapture where you get to the lighthouse and Elizabeth's glitched out, so she doesn't go to open the door to it so I'm stuck wandering around on the steps

Restarted the game and my save didn't go through properly to the cloud so I lost over an hour's worth of progress, from
    Comstock House to the Rapture scene.
    The save system in this game is bloody woeful.

• Advertisement

Bloody fantastic, I'm at the part where
    you jump off the bathysphere after leaving the first area of Rapture where you get to the lighthouse and Elizabeth's glitched out, so she doesn't go to open the door to it so I'm stuck wandering around on the steps

Restarted the game and my save didn't go through properly to the cloud so I lost over an hour's worth of progress, from
    Comstock House to the Rapture scene.
    The save system in this game is bloody woeful.

check the chapters tab on the main menu. I was able to jump to a save from there that was really close.

Just finished it.

My thoughts

huh

so thats why they called it infinite...

honestly its hands down a much better ending then the original, but I will admit they throw a lot at you in the ending, and it does take a minute or two thinking back over some earlier details of the game for it all the click how it was staring you in the face through the whole game. But I will admit, from the perspective of it being a *game* the story didnt have that *only works in a video game* tweak which the original had. What made 'Would you Kindly' such a huge element of bioshock was that it worked on the level of both in the story and also as a video game, and I was somewhat disappointed that the reveal this time didnt have the same commentary (not sure is the right word?) you can tell infinites story in a book or film and I wouldnt say a lot would be lost in the story. Aside from that musing, I thoughtfully enjoyed the game from beginning to end.

Overall it's a solid game, I dont think it deserves the 10/10's it is getting, but it is still probably the best game I've played this year (and I'm struggling to think of a major release from last year that I enjoyed more, 2012 was all about dayz and small indie hits like hotline Miami.)

The combat was amazing, even if the revive mechanic got frustrating in a few areas. the skyhook was criminally underused considering how amazing it was. Honestly the game's problem was it seemed it was too ambitious with its storyworld and didnt have the technical chops to support it, far too often I'd come across scripted sequences and broke either the scripted sequence or the enemy AI by simply stepping into the wrong spot that coupled with the strangely transfixed and wooden crowd mechanics in certain areas hurt the game in some areas.

One thought in my head from the ending
    What year was it really set? I know we are to assume its 1912, but if young Dewitt thinks its 1912, but we have older dewitt as the prophet, then it must be later then 1912.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Finished it last night, one of the best games I have played in a long while. I played on hard and died a lot. The story is very good, but hardly origional. All the talk of the ending had me racing to finish rather than enjoy the game. All in all a great game. Graphics are a bit poor for a AAA game however, the cartoon style is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Anyone know the cheapest place to get this on the xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Nicely combined FPS/RPGs are pretty much my favourite type of game, and I've played SS2, BS1, BS2. Roughly halfway through Infinite and I feel a little underwhelmed. It's a good game, though for me not a great one.

The gunplay in Infinite is slicker than its predecessors, but there are a list of changes that I didn't like. The two weapon limit is a nuisance, and the loss of the different ammo types makes a lot of the earlier weapons practically useless against anything beyond a standard enemy.

Cast your mind back to BS1, to all the planning you did before going up against a big daddy. Loading the right ammo types, hacking turrets, laying mines and traps to set up a kill zone adequate to take down the brute. Anyone else miss all this?

Its really weird looking back at the old 2011 E3 video

while it is very different in a so many ways, there are still so many of the games key sequences in this video, they're just all congested into one area when in the game they occur over the entire game.

Though there are also quite a few things dropped (such as the more context sensitive tears Elizabeth does at a few points and the ability for the vox pop to call in airships like an alarm system)

Also Its funny how something changed so much
    Lincoln is shown as a popular *founding father* figure in this video but in the final game he is reviled by the people of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Looking at the ad thats being run on the tele for the last few days is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

evad_lhorg wrote: »

GameStop are doing a trade in offer, 2 games from a select list will get you Bioshock for 10 euro. Some of the titles on it are old enough too so if you've got a good selection you should have no problem getting it.

http://www.gamestop.ie/TradeList

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didn't kill Slate. I left him there, cos I'm merciful :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Just rent it. I rented it for 5 days from xtravision. I'm halfway through the game for the 2nd time. Don't think I'll bother finishing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Eurgh, finally got past that stupid banshee and now I'm constantly failing against these Zeppelin attacks (
    just after Comstock dies
    ).

Anyone any tips for how to take out those patriots quickly (other than shooting them in the back).

Also, how exactly does that return to sender vigor work? I've it fully upgraded but can't seem to get it to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I tend to use the vigor to get them to work for you, even for a little while, then once they do a bit of damage on each other it gave me time to go around them, collect heath & salts, then kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Eurgh, finally got past that stupid banshee and now I'm constantly failing against these Zeppelin attacks (
    just after Comstock dies
    ).

Anyone any tips for how to take out those patriots quickly (other than shooting them in the back).

Also, how exactly does that return to sender vigor work? I've it fully upgraded but can't seem to get it to do anything.

I just kept possessing one of them, while i took the others out my bad ass hand cannon pew pew. Or you can use that vigor that pushes things away and they fly of the edge if you can get them close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I just kept possessing one of them, while i took the others out my bad ass hand cannon pew pew. Or you can use that vigor that pushes things away and they fly of the edge if you can get them close enough.

One effective way of getting rid of the Patriots is getting
    Songbird to swoop down at either the bow of the ship or in front of the object they're attacking, kills them instantly, if he's not already busy of course.
    Either that or set the electrical traps all over the floor and lob rounds/explosives at them while they're stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

dat ending :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Goddamn email alert of this thread... I saw a spoiler >.<

"I appreciate a woman, who appreciates VALUEEEEEEEEE. "

Fans of the original will probably chuckle at that line. I know I did. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I suggested to my girlfriend that instead of getting me an easter egg that she could get me Bioshick Infinite. BOOM!

If you dont ask, you dont get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm actually enjoying the combat a lot in this - using tears, skylines and vigors effectively creates very dynamic, exciting battles. But yeah there have been one or two times of frustration, on hard mode anyway (which generally is tough but fair). The I think second Handyman battle saw me stuck in one of the aforementioned loops, my resources slowly depleting as the Handyman continued to recover. Managed to get by through the skin of my teeth with around $2 left :pac:

I think I'm getting near the end -
    I've all eight vigors and have just entered Comcstock's house
    - and reluctant to comment too much on the story and themes until I've finished. But I do like how all the levels explore the contradictory elements of capitalism running wild: a world of discrimination and inequality that is primed for violence, where society's worst traits are realised and reinforced through inescapable propaganda. If it's less ominous than Rapture (although I do think there's a constant undercurrent of unease), that's because it has to be - the contrasts are completely ideological, and one of the two games' most compelling themes are how societal systems can easily turn toxic. We've seen the aftermath of unchecked objectivism, now we're encouraged to engage with an active illusion of capitalist freedom that is in fact drifting towards a straight-up dictatorship.

Also appreciating the game's commentary on the effects of violence - one of Elizabeth's core thematic goals is to ask us to question our mindless massacres. I'm curious to see if this comes to a head in the concluding chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some spoilers about the ending have been moved to the Bioshock Ending thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can only hope that whoever made that was being sarcastic :pac:

Anyway, bought this yesterday so I'll have it downloaded any day now!

Advertisement