Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't feel like going back to secondary school

• 12-08-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm Going to repeat the LC in 2011 .. im planning on studing at home or library . Im also planning on applying for jobseekers allowance when im going to be 18 . in 26 .09 .2010 .
    I should get the allowance without any problems ? what ya think ?
    :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Areq wrote: »
    I'm Going to repeat the LC in 2011 .. im planning on studing at home or library . Im also planning on applying for jobseekers allowance when im going to be 18 . in 26 .09 .2010 .

If you start sponging of the state so early - what hope have you got??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chellypoo74

I know it sounds pants but from a motivational point of view, I think a classroom is what you need to stay focused.
    Not sure how easy it'll be to get jobseekers but if you intend on studying and are not actively looking for a job, they might make it hard for you.
    Good luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You will need to show that you are actively seeking work and may be offered training. If you don't take the training, your JA could be cut. It really would be wiser to repeat in a structured environment, it is so easy to slack off if you are the only one pushing yourself. Plus, the fact that you have to repeat at all suggests that maybe you need the help of teachers? Why not switch schools and try to get into a class group that is specifically for repeat students? Some of the VECs in the bigger towns do that, either in the school or attached to their PLC section. You don't need to go to an overpriced 'institute'.

In my experience (I've done resource teaching & home tuition) self-studiers rarely improve on their first sitting of the LC. You might be one of the exceptions, but you also run the risk of completely wasting a year. Do you absolutely have to repeat? Are there any other options, like a PLC course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

A guy I know well left in 6th year saying he would study at home etc.
    He didn't do a stroke and is bricking it for the results. I would advise you to return to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Isnt there like a two year waiting list for the dole when you come out of school?? Anyways if you do that about halfway through the year you're gonna quit unless you're really motivated, and quite frankly, I doubt you are (because you've already resigned yourself to repeating which probably means you did f**k all study thru the year). And once you start saying things like "alright I'll take a few days off and then study extra hard after" you'll more than likely lose interest altogether. Best option (IMO) in to stay in school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm Going to repeat the LC in 2011
    Oh God. If only I could, I would. Not even 18 too! Trade places with ya in a heartbeat whoever you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

stop being a dumbass. Cop on stay in school! Make a life for yourself and dont be a bum!! Give yourself as many oppurtunities as possible! Education will help you achieve this!!

Take it from somebody with experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 theverminator5

work annd draw the dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Your thread title is very telling - you don't feel like going back to school, not exactly the most mature or serious of statements. If you're repeating, I think it's safe to say that you didn't put in the effort the first time around and lacked motivation in school. Why do you think that studying at home with no structure is going to motivate you? You'll need the structure of a timetable, teachers and notes. Courses may also be different e.g. the English course is completely different and unless you're particularly gifted and well-read, you'll need help in picking comparative texts and modes, never mind studying them. How do you plan on doing projects? You'll still have to go to a school to do your orals and practicals.

You're not going to be exactly living it up on Jobseekers Allowance; it's been cut to €100 a week and your parents could be means tested. As you have to register with the Dept to sit your exams, it's likely Welfare could refuse it.

Go back to school, or at the very least, get regular grinds (which will fairly eat into your JA, if you get it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I dont mean to sound harsh here but from the tone of your post, you really need to get a reality check!
    1. Someone at the age of 18 saying the want to go on job seekers benefits? How do you even know about that?
    2. You dont 'feel' like going back to school? Can I ask why? Ok you may have your reasons ranging from being bullied to just not being able to adapt to the classroom environment... but there are PLC courses that might suit you better.

As already mentioned, if you're already thinking you will have to repeat, you obviously did nothing in the line of study to date and for you now to think you can do it all off your own back in a library or at home? Sorry... but you're living in cookoo land if you believe that.

My advice to you would be enroll in one of those repeat leaving cert programs and get your ass into those classes every day and forget about the dole!!! It may seem like easy money right now.. but its not as easy as what you seem to believe! People who actually NEED that money are having difficulty getting it and theres massive backlogs in applications.
    Yes, times are tough, but for anyone coming from school with no ambition other than 'ah shur ill sign on the dole'... is really awful!

PLUS!!! If you're intending to not even be seeking a job (which by the way is the name of the funding you're thinking of signing on for) and then going back to study? Doesnt happen like that. There is a back to education fund but thats for people who have been signed on for job seekers for the last year and havent been able to get jobs.

I think maybe talk to a career guidance person, or even ring the Leaving Cert Helpline!!! They will be able to point u in the right direction on what you should do and what options are there for you.
    Maybe school just isnt for you... but please bare in mind, that unless you intend going abroad, trades and apprentice positions are no longer as abundant as they were during the boom.

If I were you, Id just bite the bullet and go repeat your leaving again and give it everything you have. You're up against people twice your age and with far better reasons to get that 'dole' money!!!!

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

OP the other posters are out of touch. many have suggested you did f1ck all work and that's why you're repeating. it's more likely that a person who did f all and regretted it that would suggest this of you.

they're judging you v harshly. If you can take the decision to repeat it shows personal conviction.

Can you expect your parents to pay everything for you now that you're soon to be a legal adult!

your idea(should you've thought it through and believe you can get more points and self sustain yourself financially(almost)) is an admirable one.

there may be a wait for school leaves as mentioned above, check social welfare online or call

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    OP the other posters are out of touch. many have suggested you did f1ck all work and that's why you're repeating. it's more likely that a person who did f all and regretted it that would suggest this of you.

they're judging you v harshly. If you can take the decision to repeat it shows personal conviction.

Can you expect your parents to pay everything for you now that you're soon to be a legal adult!

your idea(should you've thought it through and believe you can get more points and self sustain yourself financially(almost)) is an admirable one.

there may be a wait for school leaves as mentioned above, check social welfare online or call

An admirable decision would be to go back to school, instead of staying home so he can draw the dole.

I dont think anyone meant to be overly harsh with the OP, but sometimes people living in a bubble need to hear harsh things before they wise up to real life! I agree, saying they did f**k all might be an assumption but not knowing what courses the OP has applied for or what type of points they want, its hard to tell what the motivation factor is. But for anyone to be assuming they will need to repeat at this stage, even before the results are issued, we can only assume that either they have all very high points courses listed on their CAO or else, that they have put very little thought into this until now.

In either case, it looks like repeating is the only option here for the OP. And that means, fulltime classes. The Dole is not even a question here. If they intend to continue studying, they WONT QUALIFY!!!! If this were the case, shur wouldnt everyone be doing that? 100 euros pocket money per week to be in school? They'd line up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

felic wrote: »
    I dont think anyone meant to be overly harsh with the OP, but sometimes people living in a bubble need to hear harsh things before they wise up to real life! I agree, saying they did f**k all might be an assumption but not knowing what courses the OP has applied for or what type of points they want, its hard to tell what the motivation factor is. But for anyone to be assuming they will need to repeat at this stage, even before the results are issued, we can only assume that either they have all very high points courses listed on their CAO or else, that they have put very little thought into this until now.

In either case, it looks like repeating is the only option here for the OP. And that means, fulltime classes. The Dole is not even a question here. If they intend to continue studying, they WONT QUALIFY!!!! If this were the case, shur wouldnt everyone be doing that? 100 euros pocket money per week to be in school? They'd line up!

This year i won't get below 400 points .. and my parents wont pay for next year of my edu . so getting dole and studing at home is good idea in my opinion because i need to study much instead of working after school ... what ya say ?:confused:

you can always pretend that you are willing to work .. or that you are too stiupid for particular propositions of work and you can always pick the training courses that have long waiting list .. etc . isnt that right?

How do you mean pay for your education? Did you go to a private school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

If you plan on studying at home or in a Library, you wont study at all. Fact !!
    Your best option is to just put the head down and do it again.
    Or else you can always become a stripper !

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

it could be they are repeating because they want to do something with ridiculous points and they didn't quite get there. In that case it would suck to have to go back to school when you only need to repeat 1 or 2 subjects.

I don't think you will get any dole if you are living at home as your parents will be means tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You won't get below 400 points? What is it you want to do at third level? Have you looked into progressing to a PLC link-in program or doing a degree in a related area and going for graduate entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

I can personally relate to this because school acted more as a de-movitvator for me than a motivator. I'd only recommend what you're thinking of if you are very aware of yourself. If you're absolutely sure that you wouldn't need a zap from someone else to get into a routine, then try it out.

Don't overestimate yourself, and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

This year i won't get below 400 points .. and my parents wont pay for next year of my edu . so getting dole and studing at home is good idea in my opinion because i need to study much instead of working after school ... what ya say ?:confused:

you can always pretend that you are willing to work .. or that you are too stiupid for particular propositions of work and you can always pick the training courses that have long waiting list .. etc . isnt that right?

The way the dole works is very simple. You get dole if you are available for work. You will be studying, so you say, so you won't be available for work. So you have no entitlement for the dole.

Really your attitude sickens me. Your great plan is to sponge off the state and pretend you are available for work and sign up for courses that have long waiting lists. What if you're sent on a course that doesn't have a waiting list? What are you going to do then?

I am a PLC co-ordinator and see plenty of young lads coming through the doors every year who have been sent to us from the social welfare office. For some of them, it's a case of sign up and do the course or lose your benefits.

400 points is a good leaving cert, so I'd be interested to know how you plan on avoiding job interviews and courses if you are studying to get this kind of result. You reckon you could pretend to be 'too stupid' to get a job. No one is too stupid to stack shelves, sweep floors, serve food. All very basic skills.

It costs about €250 to repeat the LC. Schools may have other fees such as book rental scheme etc. Get off your arse and enrol in a repeat class or doing a PLC course instead of planning to sponge off the state. If this is your attitude I'm not surprised your parents won't fund another year of education for you.

As you are under 24 if you apply for JSA you will be means tested on your parents income. Also if you place too many restrictions on the type of work, location and hours you are available, you will be considered unavailable for work and will not be entitled to JSA.

I don't fancy your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

That's called fraud. I don't pay tax and PRSI just so people like you can defraud the state.

main response coming back on this is to forget the dole and just repeat the leaving cert. If your parents wont 'fund' you then get a weekend job stacking shelves in Tescos. Even if u do end up studying for the repeat on your own, ull still need some form of liason officer to assist you with your project work for its submisson and so forth.

I know its a tough situation, and it wont be easy, but you really need to get a grip on reality here. This idea of 'ah shur i can sign on for JSA and pretend to be dumb if called for interviews' is really both an astonishing and disgusting thing to hear from someone your age. You do know we are in a recession yeah? And that in excess of 450,000 are on the dole desperate to come off it, desperate to find a job, and would sell their kids to be in the position you are?
    Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

If you're in full-time education for the next year, your parents will get children's allowance for you.

If you go on the dole, they won't. And there will be an investigation into their own finances.

And you can be sure that someone will snitch to the DSW about you. And then you will have even more issues.

I know someone thinking about doing the same next month. There are a line of people queuing up to report him to the DSW if he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

All I can say it, best of luck.

Really wont be as simple as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I wouldn't make plans like that.

And even if you did manage to get away with it briefly, December's budget is not going to be a pretty sight. You could find yourself next January stuck with not a penny, none coming in due to budget changes, and unable to do anything until new courses/new school year starts next Sept.

I think you need to grow up a bit to be honest. Things are extremely hard out here in the jobs markets for people who have more points, degrees, masters, PhD's and experience than you do right now. I finished work 5 weeks ago, and I have yet to get any money. I rang social welfare this morning and they said I'll be waiting another 2-3 weeks, at best.

If you're honestly sure you can study without school, knock yourself out. Otherwise you should look at all your options, and DO NOT consider the dole as one of them. The likelihood of you getting it is next to nothing.The social welfare office doesn't care how clever or stupid you are.....if you are turning down jobs, or creating reasons why you can't take them, you are no longer considered to be a job seeker.They aren't asking you for your school results, they just want to know are you available for work, and if not, why not. And that happens within quite a short period of time.

To put it plainly, your attitude is awful. And furthermore, you haven't even got your results yet....you might actually find things aren't as bad as you think.

Advertisement