Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bar tenders giving out free drinks

Options
  • 12-08-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

I was in a bar in Paris and this girl bar tender liked my accent so she started giving me free shots. I was wondering if there are many bar tenders out there that would give free drinks to their friends/ people they find attractive. If you owned a pub and you caught one of your employees doing this, would you fire them straight away?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you consider they were encouraged to give out a certain discretionary amount of free drink to keep customers happy?

I know when my Publican gave me a pint or two I usually followed it up by buying 3 or 4. And whats his margin on that? Win for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Barman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Paris bar staff hears Irish accent, thinks - BIG drinker - fires out a few shots & waits for Irish person to buy loads more.

Ka-ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

poisonated wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Paris and this girl bar tender liked my accent so she started giving me free shots. I was wondering if there are many bar tenders out there that would give free drinks to their friends/ people they find attractive. If you owned a pub and you caught one of your employees doing this, would you fire them straight away?

Not if I was in the film Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea, same happened me in a small bar in the middle of spain.

She kept filling me with drink , eventually i felt compelled to have sex with her.

She didnt have the same compulsion.

.. she must have been a lesbian, thats the only rational explanation i could think of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The obvious idea is that one free drink will usually lead to the recipient buying several more afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

haha if that was the case, it didn't really work out. I stopped buying drinks becuase I was getting them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

They're big into that in the bars in New York , Its a way of keeping you in there, spending and drinking more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Only ever got free drinks when my mam was manager of a pub,free peanuts too!

I did see this fella getting free drinks the whole night though once in Ballina because he was some "famous" ex football manager,forget the name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Get free drinks in the states when the "Irish" bartender heard my accent from the emerald isle haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

chirogirl wrote: »
    They're big into that in the bars in New York , Its a way of keeping you in there, spending and drinking more.

aye, that's where the tipping comes in. you tip every time you buy a drink and every third or fourth one is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I got a free drink in a Dublin Club a couple of months ago, only it was a Barman and not a Bargirl. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Get free drinks in my local at times, depending on who serves me. It's the owner who gives me them, so i don't worry bout whether he'll be sacked or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Those shots are 95% water, and about 10 years old. You just saved them a bin tag. Let the puking commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

When i was in a rock pub in the canaries the bartender there would give us free shots of whatever we wanted, he was such a generous guy! The drink over there is dirt cheap as it is without him having to give us free alcohol all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Must have got 10-15 free shots in some bar in Portugal last year. I thanked them by throwing up all over their jacks...Strange they never gave me free drinks the next night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

hitman79 wrote: »
    Must have got 10-15 free shots in some bar in Portugal last year. I thanked them by throwing up all over their jacks...Strange they never gave me free drinks the next night :eek:

They do this is every tacky bar in Spain/islands and its pure cheap piss !! I hate this " come in and we'll give you a free shot " speel you here from every english/Irish scumbag outside the bars:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Ricardo G wrote: »
    They do this is every tacky bar in Spain/islands and its pure cheap piss !! I hate this " come in and we'll give you a free shot " speel you here from every english/Irish scumbag outside the bars:mad:

We didnt even get asked to come in..the place was empty and we sat at the bar where they just threw anything into us. Never as hammered in my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I would often give out free drinks to certain customers. Such as if a large hen party came in and ordered a load of shots I wouldn't charge them for a few. At Christmas too I always gave the regulars a couple of free pints or whatever.

The bar I worked in went into receivership and is closed now though so perhaps I overdid it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I got a free drink in Madrid when someone knocked over my drink. The bartender saw it and signaled to me. He then asked me what I was having, made it and said it was for free. I was really impressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement