Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU help (HD 6000 series problem)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Be careful. Most of those adapters won't work. You need the active/powered one like the sapphire one mentioned by lmimmfn. These are about €100.

Also most cards don't have the mini display port. They have one of each HDMI, displayport and DVI (if I recall correctly), but check out whatever one you choose before you by to be sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Those ports are DisplayPort, not multiport! You can't receive a DVI signal through them, so you need an active converter, not a passive adaptor! :o That's an extra €100! :(

ninja'd by Mono :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Solitaire wrote: »
    Those ports are DisplayPort, not multiport! You can't receive a DVI signal through them, so you need an active converter, not a passive adaptor! :o That's an extra €100! :(

ninja'd by Mono :o
    Yet it says directly in the description of the adapter:

This DisplayPort to DVI (M-M) Video Converter Cable lets you connect a DVI capable display to a DisplayPort video card/source. The cable provides a connection distance of 6ft and features a male DVI connector and a male DisplayPort connector. The DisplayPort/DVI video converter cable supports high bandwidth video transmissions, easily delivering monitor resolutions up to 1920x1200 or HDTV resolutions up to 1080p - allowing you to take full advantage of your DVI capable display, while using a cutting edge DisplayPort video source.
    Also most cards don't have the mini display port
    The standard HD 5970 Has 2 DVI outs, a Mini-Displayport, and supports Eyefinity Technology, up to 3 displays; With some eyefinity-edition cards supporting 6, and even 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

eh so confusing :confused: i think it would just be simpler to go with two gtx 460's compared to a 5970 where id need to be buying cables and converters that cost a bomb :( wouldnt it be much easier to put three dvi connectors onto the card and all you have to do is simply plug them in :eek:

eh so confusing :confused: i think it would just be simpler to go with two gtx 460's compared to a 5970 where id need to be buying cables and converters that cost a bomb :( wouldnt it be much easier to put three dvi connectors onto the card and all you have to do is simply plug them in :eek:
    Because manufacturers are begining to phase into Displayport.

And seriously? A $600 card is nothing to you, but having to drop $20 on a Displayport to DVI adapter is a bomb to you?

This is the same discussion we had 2 years ago when people had to use 2 DVI displays, but only had a VGA and a DVI on the card. The solution was a cheap VGA to DVI dongle. Not really that complicated. This is the same deal, with newer tech. Im not sure why you find this confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

DisplayPort is designed to replace digital (DVI) and analog component video (VGA) connectors in the computer monitors and video cards, as well as replace internal digital LVDS links in computer monitor panels and TV panels. [1]

DisplayPort is capable of directly emitting single-link HDMI and DVI signals. Its effectively a Port that can automatically switch between a DVI signal and an HDMI signal, without requiring a DVI and an HDMI port on the card. Mini-Displayports as such are an excellent successor to both: I suspect all the next gen cards will pretty exclusively use displayport, with included adapters in the box.

• Advertisement

so if i connected a 5970 to one of my monitors with say this i would be able to use eyefinity? or do i have to buy one of the more expensive ones that the rest of the lads are on about?

so if i connected a 5970 to one of my monitors with say this i would be able to use eyefinity? or do i have to buy one of the more expensive ones that the rest of the lads are on about?
    Yes that would work. Depending on which 5970 you buy (XFX, Sapphire bla bla) they should all say on the store page what they have in the box: I saw a Diamond HD 5970 that came with a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter, for instance. Some might already have that mini-Dsiplayport to DVI in the box: check

well this is the one i was looking at and i think it comes with a mini displayport to displayport adapter but i could just plug that apple one into the mini port and connect a dvi cable to the other end of it correct? also if i buy the 5970 would i be able to just use 2 screens for a while as i would have to try and save up for the third screen (im not rich :))

Overheal wrote: »
    Yet it says directly in the description of the adapter:

This DisplayPort to DVI (M-M) Video Converter Cable lets you connect a DVI capable display to a DisplayPort video card/source. The cable provides a connection distance of 6ft and features a male DVI connector and a male DisplayPort connector. The DisplayPort/DVI video converter cable supports high bandwidth video transmissions, easily delivering monitor resolutions up to 1920x1200 or HDTV resolutions up to 1080p - allowing you to take full advantage of your DVI capable display, while using a cutting edge DisplayPort video source.

I think it's that you're ok if you're using it on just one monitor and you total resolution is less than 1920x1200. But most eyefinity users will be going for 5760x1080 total resolution. I haven't had any personal experience with it but there's loads of reports around about it.
    The standard HD 5970 Has 2 DVI outs, a Mini-Displayport, and supports Eyefinity Technology, up to 3 displays; With some eyefinity-edition cards supporting 6, and even 12.

Yeah, I know there's the ones with 6, but I didn't know there was a 12 one. :eek:
    I was thinking more of the 5870s which nearly all have 2 DVI, 1 display port, and 1 HDMI. But yeah, there's a lot more editions around now. But stop tempting us with your newegg prices. :mad: ;)
    also if i buy the 5970 would i be able to just use 2 screens for a while as i would have to try and save up for the third screen (im not rich :))

Yes.

yeah it'll gladly run on 2 screens. Windows does that natively. You only need the ATI Driver to kick in Eyefinity when you are ready to run 3+ displays.

Yes if you get apple's mini-displayport to DVI that will work.
    I think it's that you're ok if you're using it on just one monitor and you total resolution is less than 1920x1200.
    Valid concern. But eyefinity works by using Individual chipsets (think of a memory controller on a typical processor die) for each display adapter supported: so on the 5970 there's (at least) 3 Individual Display adapters on the card that can each output its own resolution and refresh rate, seperate of the other 2. Actually I think the entire 5-series supports Eyefinity 3 at the minimum. The 5970 is actually 2 GPUs in 1 so it should have 6, but I believe on the standards only 3 of them are wired up to outputs. And if theres a 12, hell maybe theres 6 on each die. Madness.

So with 3 in conjuction you could have a maximum workspace of 5760x3240 (1920x1080x3)

• Advertisement

Connectivity Requirements: ATI Eyefinity technology is supported by graphics cards in the ATI Radeon™ HD 5400 series and higher. These cards can support up to six monitors (depending on the model), subject to the following restrictions:
    • A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
    • To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).
    • Approved “active” adapters have no general connectivity restrictions with ATI Eyefinity technology.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Valid concern. But eyefinity works by using Individual chipsets for each display adapter supported: so on the 5970 there's (at least) 3 Individual Display adapters on the card that can each output its own resolution and refresh rate, seperate of the other 2. Actually I think the entire 5-series supports Eyefinity 3 at the minimum.

So with 3 in conjuction you could have a maximum workspace of 5760x3240 (1920x1080x3)

OK, I'll try to dig us some reviews on this so. I hadn't really considered the 5970.

Does that mean a single passive Displayport plug can Y-cable to 2 DVI monitors?

Anywho, Powered Displayport adapters just draw juice from an attached USB cable.

Okay.... Just make sure your 3rd Monitor, when you buy it, has a Native Displayport Input on it. But That shouldn't be too difficult to find, when/if you're ready.

On the 5970:

Gravity appears to be a concern-able factor...

I had a good read into it. You can have two monitors that are DVI. 3 and above have to have displayport with all the remaining monitors (or active adapters). So if you had an eyefinity 6 card, you'd still need at least 4 DP monitors or active adapters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm amazed that premium cases still don't include any adjustable support brackets to grab the far corner of an oversized PCIe card... :o

IMO, just get something like
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-P2310H-inch-Professional-Widescreen/dp/B0031U1AGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281725293&sr=8-1
    (there's one sold by amazon £215.00 @ UK VAT)
    for your display port monitor and two of these
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=288706

I haven't looked at reviews for these but they look similar and it's better than paying for 3 displayport monitors.

damn it anyway i cant afford all that (my limit is just around €2000:() i think im just going to go with dual gtx 460's seems much more straight forward as i cant find any monitors that are reasonable that have a displayport on pixmania.ie but then i have to try and find a mobo that will support amd and sli :confused: sigh

well you said you werent going for triple screens right now anyway. You're not thinking 6 months forward: These displayport Monitors are already begining to roll into the market.

AMD + SLI = GLHF

supose you right :) il just go with one screen right now and get the best gpu setup i can get and then around xmas i can start looking at making it better :) so the best gpu setups i can get right now are ati - 5970 or Nvidia-gtx 480 or dual gtx 460's (was also looking at dual gtx 480's but that is a bit crazy :)) could anyone link me a AMD Am3 mobo that i can buy in ireland that supports sli just in case i go nvidia

dont know if these are available in ireland and neither supports sata 6gbps or USB 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%20600007943%20600008309&IsNodeId=1&name=NVIDIA%20nForce%20900

But again my advice is a thousand times the 5970.

• Advertisement

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1973343&productID=S7786215
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB999183&productID=S7866487

I don't know what the difference is between those are.

What if you want to go crossfire? You should try to decide on you card before you pick your motherboard, unless you sell it or use patches as I mentioned earlier.

480 sli would take a lot of power.

dont know if these are available in ireland and neither supports sata 6gbps or USB 3

Yeah, that's a good point too. The nvidia boards just don't get as much attention and are generally behind in technology.

thanks for all the help guys i know i had far too many questions :D im gona go with phenom x6 processor and the hd 5970 and when xmas comes il look into multi screens again, by the way what would be the best monitor i could buy right now for around €250-€300 upwards of 22 inch, from the build i posted on the first page i will change the gpu to the 2gig 5970 and il change the 3 lg monitors to one good monitor would ye change anything else? thanks for the help lads il probably be just as bad when im putting the thing togther :rolleyes:

ive finalized my build guys :) (about time)
    specs:

Case
    PSU
    RAM
    HDD
    Processor
    2xGPU
    DVD
    Motherboard
    Wireless USB
    Dell monitor (has a displayport:rolleyes:)
    comes in at €2030, i figure thats going to run anything for the next two to three years

BTW just seeing now from a Sapphire vid that the 3rd display doesnt need to be Native Displayport capable: the 3rd just needs to be connected through the displayport on the card - you can do this using a DVI monitor and an Active (powered) displayport adapter. Video is very good:

Adapter talk @ 0:55

i take it this is an active displayport adapter, and whats the story with having two cards in crossfire and connecting that up to eyefinity is there problems with that or what?

shouldnt be a problem no. They would I would assume support Eyefinity-6.

Thats the right adapter.

Wait. Watch out. That monitor has only 1680 x 1050 resolution. Most monitors that size now will be 1920x1080, so that's why I recommended the 23'' one from amazon. You need the same resolution on the monitors for eyefinity.
    This one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031U1AGO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    Not on the dell site.

As for connectors and crossfire, I think you connect everything to the one card, but you can work that out closer to the time, unless you want more that 3 monitors (then I think you'd need one card as eyefinity 6). I haven't time to look into it now, so you'd have to dig around.

ya i noticed that while back so i figure il be using an active displayport adapter and maybe one of those lg screens i had earlier, is this adapter grand?

• Advertisement

ive finalized my build guys :) (about time)
    specs:

Case
    PSU
    RAM
    HDD
    Processor
    2xGPU
    DVD
    Motherboard
    Wireless USB
    This monitor (new one)
    and this Display adapter
    comes in at €2030, i figure thats going to run anything for the next two to three years

i put a different monitor (seems like it has thiner bevels than the lg which would be good for multiscreen) and a displayport adapter into the build will this work properly now?

Advertisement