Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway Enniscorthy- Closed down?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

So I walked by subway in Enniscorthy and everything was gone! I'm wondering if its renovation or is it another victim of the economy. The place always seemed to do well and would always be packed at lunch time. The girls Catherine and Sinead were a great laugh too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Should think it has gone - I could never see it having been a paying proposition. As it is there are still three un-let units along there and students were never going to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

But even without the students it always seemed to get a good bit of footfall. At least it was a step to modernising the town a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Thought it was closing when I passed by Tuesday night and the owner guy from wexford was clearing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Another whole in the facade. When I was a teenager in the town, a friend of mine once described Enniscorthy as "the town of the dancing dead" (a line from the Lindisfarne song Lady Eleanor). I always have Bob Dylan's North Country Blues in my head when I go home:

"But the cardboard filled windows
    And old men on the benches
    Tell you now that the whole town is empty."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

That's a shame... would drop in for a Meatball Sub from time to time.

Enniscorthy is a hard place to keep a business alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

TRUST ME MATE WHEN I SAY THE BUSINESSES CAN'T SURVIVE I'M FROM THE PLACE,I'VE SEEN THEM COME AND GO ITS LIKE THE ENNISCORTHY TRIANGLE.....ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY BUT SORRY TO SAY I DONT SEE IT CHANGING MUCH IN MY LIFETIME

TRUST ME MATE WHEN I SAY THE BUSINESSES CAN'T SURVIVE I'M FROM THE PLACE,I'VE SEEN THEM COME AND GO ITS LIKE THE ENNISCORTHY TRIANGLE.....ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY BUT SORRY TO SAY I DONT SEE IT CHANGING MUCH IN MY LIFETIME

But you think a well known franchise could survive?

JayEnnis wrote: »
    But you think a well known franchise could survive?

It is the old story, location, location, location. It was a franchise operation and if the back-up service had been up to scratch the franchisee should have been dissuaded from opening in such an out of the way spot in the town.

the franchisee should have been dissuaded from opening in such an out of the way spot in the town. Today 01:26

Aye... I said this to the other half only last night and we both agreed that it was in a terrible location.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR LOCATED IN THIS TOWN , BUSINESS IS DEAD, SAD BUT TRUE .

• Advertisement

According to the articile below there are 4,776 unemployed people in Enniscorthy. This has to be a huge percentage of the town population (anyone know the town population?).

There's not a lot of money in Enniscorthy... or at least not a very even distribution of it... and this means that luxuries like Subway Rolls and Sambos aren't going to be in high demand.

http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlauojql&cat=news

jpb1974 wrote: »
    According to the articile below there are 4,776 unemployed people in Enniscorthy. This has to be a huge percentage of the town population (anyone know the town population?).

There's not a lot of money in Enniscorthy... or at least not a very even distribution of it... and this means that luxuries like Subway Rolls and Sambos aren't going to be in high demand.

http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlauojql&cat=news

If I recall correctly from Geography class 3 years ago the population was hovering around 8,000.

Thats a mighty high percentage of unemployment. Thank god I am out of this place come september.

If I recall correctly from Geography class 3 years ago the population was hovering around 8,000.

Aye.. the other half said that she heard somewhere recently it was circa 10,000. The percentage of un-employed is un-real... and with the closure of Subway it might just be gone up a few :(

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Aye.. the other half said that she heard somewhere recently it was circa 10,000. The percentage of un-employed is un-real... and with the closure of Subway it might just be gone up a few :(

Yeah that would make sense with 3 years growth.

I'm just after finishing school and I've plenty experience as I've worked since I was in 3rd year but I found it impossible to secure work this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

According to the census info from 2006, there were about 9500 people in the Enniscorthy area, assuming you want to take in Enniscorthy town and environs (presumably the dole office catchment would cover a similar area), so if you think there was growth in the last few years, it's probably over the 10,000 mark now. Have a look at this for where I sourced that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I find it hard to belive the umemployment rate is as high as 40% in enniscorthy

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    I find it hard to belive the umemployment rate is as high as 40% in enniscorthy

I sure as hell don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Im surprised its not higher, it was high enough when things were good in the country. Employment would be astronomical if you factored in the people who were "retired" off the dole, basically guys who never worked and are deemed to be to old for the Social to even try and place them some where.

Enniscorthy has a big problem with 2nd and 3rd generation unemployment. Alot of the unemployed come from families who never worked who in turn came from families who never worked.

Hence the reason for the attitude in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heard yesterday that 400 people applied for jobs in The Castle nightclub. A few years ago all that would apply were students looking for weekend work.The unemployment in the town is sky high and little hope of falling.Even if a business opens the rates charged are crippling.
    Done properly all the area around Barrack Street could have been turned into a shopping centre and been a focal point in the town but that train has left and we have a car park,a bottleneck and a centre of town that resembles a graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

zerks wrote: »
    Done properly all the area around Barrack Street could have been turned into a shopping centre and been a focal point in the town .

Rent is too high and there is no passing trade.
    The shop units are on the wrong side of the Dunnes Stores entrance.

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    Rent is too high and there is no passing trade.
    The shop units are on the wrong side of the Dunnes Stores entrance.

It should have been designed so that all the units were accessible from the Dunnes Shop, they should have created a mall or small shopping centre.

sundula wrote: »
    It should have been designed so that all the units were accessible from the Dunnes Shop, they should have created a mall or small shopping centre.

Ah yes, I was wondering when that would come up but it's Dunnes and 'The difference is we're rubbish'. The whole layout of the shop is daft and as for the 'so-called' customer service desk. If it wasn't for the pleasant staff they would have lost what little custom I still give them.

When i walked into that shop orginally i liked the general design but its like anything once you have seen it a few times you begin to see faults, as regards a layout that would incorporate smaller retail units its a disaster.

Of course Dunnes are keeping a tight grip on their old premises, absence of anything in the old shop is really not doing Rafter St. any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Dont know what you're all so surprised about.....the rents on those "lock-ups" are astronomical....no-one will survive there.

There was 1000 applicants for 40 jobs at the castle.....I wonder how many were full time?

Unemployment.........man......you must all have bad memories, I'm still living in the Enniscorthy area and remember the queue's from the dole office in the old location.............out the door, round the corner, down to end of road, round the corner, down to end of road,....bla, bla, bla. The figure for the unemployed is the live register figure, now add on all the fas course people, the people on fis, lone parents, ce community schemes, and all the other xyz's that are out there to either supplement incomes, farmers?, or give training. The true figure is probably in the region of 70% of the towns people are in some sort of receipt of government assistance.

No money in Enniscorthy?????????? It was stated in the Echo that 1 businessman that ran a shop in the town that died amassed a tidy sum of over 1million. It's the same story that it was years ago......the rich do not want the non-rich to get anywhere in life........unless they benefit from it.

It will NEVER change......dont kid yourselves.

You know...........it maks me cringe when the wife watches that dribble "Dr.Phil" and he spouts on about how YOU can change your life,...YOU can become wealthy and lead a fulfilling life......what a load of boll-cks ....Dr.Phill, let me ask you this, if everyone becomes rich, who will clean your house, serve you your latte, fill the shelves up with groceries, empty your stinking dustbins, etc

As far as I can see, that's the story with Ireland, tell everyone that they can achieve anything,.........is that why 70% of Enniscorthy's people need financial assistance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What a last post.

Fair play to the shop keeper who made a million before he kicked his clogs. Ask youself this. Did he do it all on his own or did he employ staff and provide them with a wage that they could bring home to their families? Was anyone going to refund him his capital outlay if things went wrong with the business and he lost everything?

Like chuff they would. Fair play to any business man who makes a success of their gamble and perhaps if we had less people watching Dr Phil in the middle of the day, we might get this country off its knees.

Every person can change their life for the better, even if it is only in a small, seemingly unnoticeable way

oldyouth wrote: »
    What a last post.

Fair play to the shop keeper who made a million before he kicked his clogs. Ask youself this. Did he do it all on his own or did he employ staff and provide them with a wage that they could bring home to their families? Was anyone going to refund him his capital outlay if things went wrong with the business and he lost everything?

Like chuff they would. Fair play to any business man who makes a success of their gamble and perhaps if we had less people watching Dr Phil in the middle of the day, we might get this country off its knees.

Every person can change their life for the better, even if it is only in a small, seemingly unnoticeable way

Yahoooooooooo.........someone I can make a point with. Staff....I believe his family worked there, so no wages for "workers" to bring home to their "families". I did not knock the man for earning his loot, just showing the vast difference between the haves and have-nots. As for his outlay, I also believe the shop was owned by his family previously so he had no "outlay", or "gamble".
    Tell the government to supply work for the "middle of the day" tv watchers......better still.....why dont you tell us how you would put these "middle of the day" tv viewers back to work?
    And yes, your right on the last point.........every person can change their life.......in a seemingly unnoticeable way (unnoticeable being the operative word)..........but tell that to the pakistan victims......the china lanslide victims........the poor in mexico.......the sewer children of brazil......you've been reading the Echo for too long.;)

Edited after posting to add the folowing:
    The reason the country is on its knees....as you so aptly put it.......is not because of daytime tv viewers...........but because of the GREED of the few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'll respond to that when we're both sober

I do not drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of the old guard businesses in Enniscorthy seem to begrudge any new blood in the town-just look at the objections to Tesco.The main objector has a premises in a prime location in the town and any time I'm down that way I rarely see any customers in there.Certain businessmen seem to have a siege mentality of a spoiled child-if they can't have it no one will!! That's why trade in the town is dying.
    Notices for planning went up on the site of the old Dunnes Stores but that was it,nothing more happened.The middle of the town is made up of takeaways,discount and charity shops with little else.A few clothes shops appear and disappear just as quick.What happened to the great plan to rejuvinate the Market Square and build a mall-followed the Celtic Tiger on the way out.
    The case of Subway closing is a microcosm of what's happening in the town,new shoots of growth appear only to die away-pity,And shame on the self interested greedy pillars of the community that keep the town on it's knees commercially because of their fear to grow and adapt.The shoppers know what they want and it's not in Enniscorthy:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The rent is just too high. Subway was in a bad location - in the unit furthest from Dunnes entrance.

Most business were inherited and those now in charge are not capable of risk, business growth, providing value, being competitive or operating with business skill. They prefer to operate as "caretakers". Some have opened in Wexford or Gorey but this rarely works out.

Tesco is not the answer. Another (6th) supermarket on the outskirts of town, will do nothing to improve the quality or number of shops in the town centre.

Maybe there is no town centre?
    Years ago, Slaney Street, Market Square & Rafter Street was the town centre. Now I'm not sure.

Its a pity they let Floods site decay so badly. It was a complete eyesore for years.

Advertisement