Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway Enniscorthy- Closed down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Its still an Eyesore and will be for a long time.
    Everyone know's Anton Treacy owns Murphy Floods, he did not pay any fines for having a derlict building. The council took no further action so now he makes a piss poor effort of a car park on the site and the council are happy. AFAIK it's pay parking and the council receive the money.
    The only people who i feel sorry for regarding the Eyesore that is Murphy Floods is Wickhams Butchers having to rent another shop to still stay in Buisness.

The issue with Dunnestores was that the old Minch Norton site was sold to differant people. The people of the town at the time were led to believe that there was going to be a shopping mall incorperating Dunnes Stores constructed on the whole site with a walkway entrance going through from the market square close to Murphy Floods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Rock on people...........never a truer word said........and who's to blame for this farce.......THE COUNCIL.......bunch of lemons not even worthy to grace a glass of gin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fair play to Wickhams having their old premises rebuilt and moving back to where they belong in Market Square.Pity they won't be part of a shiny new shopping mall-more lies from developers and councillors. If their promises were food we'd starve.

In the Market square today and every other Sunday the only places that are open for buisness are Dunnes stores, Delaneys news agents, Shenanagins, The River Restaurant {must say John does a good sunday dinner} and the €2 chinese shop.Last sunday there were a few stalls on rafter street which drew no crowd at all. It's no wonder most familys go for a drive to Wexford and Gorey for shopping on a Sunday.

Sunday is gone from a day of worship etc. to an important family day to do the shopping etc.The modern life means regular working weeks and hours are no more so people need shops open on Sundays,however Enniscorthy is in a time warp-some shops still close on a Thursday. No wonder folk get in the car and travel to Gorey or Wexford-just walk around Tesco on a Sunday afternoon or down the Main Street in Wexford and see how many Enniscorthy people you meet. How many more shops will close in the town in the next few months as people spend even less as they try and save for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

The town is a hole. there is no redeeming feature about it at all. It's supposed to be the second town of wexford. Gorey has a new cinema, and tesco's, and it is doing great. There are alot of people traveling out of town to tesco. So who ever said tesco is not the answer??? what is? what other company do you know looking to put employment and investment into the town. The objectors are like vampires, bleeding the town to death, and not allowing any life to be incected back in. It's a disgrace the council are so whipped by the old fraternity. Next elections I am going to run and give them all a bloody shock.
    Sorry about the rant, but am just back from a walk with a friend of mine from out of town, and it's shamefull the state of the place. And I am looking for wotrk at the min. SO not it's all bad from my view

Hate to drag up the old Tesco debate but heard a report on the news about plans for a multimillion euro development in Waterford-I stand to be corrected but isn't this the planned development of Dan Kickham who wanted to bring Tesco and other retailers to HIS site in Enniscorthy.I'm sure the issue of objections and planning in Waterford won't be an issue as it is here,as said before in this thread,new businesses,especially retail don't last in Enniscorthy because of a cartel of narrow minded people who are too self serving to care about the future of the town.
    Pity one of the major employers can't even create even more jobs and maybe invigorate his home town.If one of the big players get's shot down by vested interests what hope have the small guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Sad to say it but we shop in Tesco in Wexford town every week.

Free parking.

Large spacious store.

The young lad loves looking at the toys, dvds and computer games.

Herself likes a browse through the clothing area.

I like all the electronics, car and diy nick-nacks.

Huge selection

Good prices

Lots of special offers

Usually we might make a day out of it, Cinema, McDonalds or KFC, shopping. Keeps everyone happy.

Compare that to town... Dunnes, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi... I just can't be bothered... at least Lidl and Aldi have free parking.

We gave up a long time ago going to Tesco in Wexforscorthy. Now we Travel to Newross Tesco 1 week 25mins Drive and Arklow the next week 40min drive also we pay a visit to the shopping centre in Gorey and 1 Sunday a month we Travel to the Shopping centre in Carlow. We even done shopping in Tesco in Tullow on the odd occasion. And as the same as yourself the young lad loves looking at the toys, dvds and computer games.
    Herself likes a browse through the clothing area. I like all the electronics, car and diy nick-nacks.

Compare these Towns to our Enniscorthy/BEDROCK town... Dunnes, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi and a €2 chinese shop open on Sundays

Scaller and JPB are right in their statements-every week there's a mass exodus from the town by people going elsewhere to shop,as an example just a couple of weeks ago the other half and her friends wanted some stuff for fancy dress and nothing was to be had in Enniscorthy so off they went to Carlow,got what they wanted and spent money in other shops buying stuff they thought they needed.
    Enniscorthy has too many similar shops selling more or less the same stuff-can you blame folk for having to go elsewhere.Spoke to a woman from Arklow a while ago and she loves going into Kavanaghs shop any time she's in Enniscorthy as they always have something new but in her opinion the shopping in the rest of the town is terrible.Very little in the town to tempt anyone,no wonder Subway closed,no passing trade,people go into the town,get what they want and leave-they visit Wexford for a shopping trip and spend time+money in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I don't think a new Tesco in Blackstoops is the answer.
    I agree with a lot of the comments above.

As a child we had a market in the Market Square one Tuesday a month. It always drew a crowd until vested interested had it removed!
    Now we have a Market Square with no Market!!!?????

Tesco in Wexford, Arklow, Carlow & Gorey are in (or very near) the Town centre, thats why they work so well. Walking to Tesco from town centre & vice versa.

Maybe Dunnes needs to work harder with its town centre store. Free parking would help. Or is "Free Parking" a dirty word in Enniscorthy?
    I think paid parking on the Prom is a really bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

I agree RKQ... the issue isn't with Tesco's per se... it's with the proposed location....Blackstoops is not a "walking" destination for town so it would create an either/or situation regards to going into town - not a great way to allow for regeneration of the town in the future.

Reported in today's Guardian that Subway in Enniscorthy was subject to rates of €5000 which is extortionate,there's a full page article on the origins of rates and how they're calculated.Some of the figures are frightening:eek:

Be prepared for more closures in the town as the rates rise 105%.
    It is not only sickening about the hikes in charges throughout the country, but it's scandalous how the people let the council and the govt get away with it. Dont pay these charges.....what are they going to do? put everyone in prison? Close every shop in town? then where would they get their "expense" money?
    People in this country need to start voicing their anger at the political system.........it obviously does not work for the common man/woman. Councils need to be accountable to the public.........a public accounts committee would be a good start whereby all spending and charging would have to be passed by them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

105% rate rises? Bloody hell. What does the council do with the money? It doesn't seem to be spent on the town. Is there a website with the council's finances on it anywhere? Or somewhere I can contact to get the accounts?

Do they not realise that the country is in recession,people are watching what they spend and as a result trade is down and add that to the rates rise local shops are in a precarious position.The town is already dying and the rates are helping kill it even quicker.How some stay open amazes me as the customers going through the doors are minimal.Looks like Subway won't be the last to shut it's doors for good this year.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

BMW Main Dealer, Mercedes Main dealer, the HQ of one of the largest IT businesses in the country. Massive amounts of traffic being directed through the town (on EuroRoute 1) because of the failure to bypass the town.....
    Things in Enniscorthy are no worse than in a lot of parts of the country, so why the problems (which I accept are there)?
    Too few families controlling the main businesses, and a lack of local support for local small businesses (butchers, grocers etc) are some of the causes, but this is no different from many regional towns.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    105% rate rises? Bloody hell. What does the council do with the money? It doesn't seem to be spent on the town. Is there a website with the council's finances on it anywhere? Or somewhere I can contact to get the accounts?

Bearhunter..........sounds like I've given you a coronary..........but that's the figure highlited in "the echo" paper.........that's why Mahady Breen is closing it's doors.
    What does the council do with the money?.........good question. I have looked at the budget figures for 2009, you can do the same here
    http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Finance/PublicationsandDownloads/Thefile,8509,en.pdf
    You know it's amazing if you look at all the figures to see how the money is spent, for instance, under table F-expenditure, environmental services-division E, litter warden service
    0 spent, so Wexford county does not have a litter warden? no wonder there is so much dumping, and expenditure under the same table for "provision and improvement of litter bins" is also.......you guessed it........0. But "service support costs" in every area is quite high, in some cases higher than the expenditure of the work/job/project.........for instance Wexford spent 232,233 euro in the monitoring of waste regs, but the service support costs were 326,525 euro. What are these "service support costs"? and who gets them.
    The biggest laugh.......in my opinion.........is the expenditure on local roads-maintenance and improvement......not including regional or national roads, but local only..........20.5 million.........well they didn't spend it in Enniscorthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

furerer wrote: »
    Bearhunter..........sounds like I've given you a coronary..........but that's the figure highlited in "the echo" paper.........that's why Mahady Breen is closing it's doors.
    What does the council do with the money?.........good question. I have looked at the budget figures for 2009, you can do the same here
    http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Finance/PublicationsandDownloads/Thefile,8509,en.pdf
    You know it's amazing if you look at all the figures to see how the money is spent, for instance, under table F-expenditure, environmental services-division E, litter warden service
    0 spent, so Wexford county does not have a litter warden? no wonder there is so much dumping, and expenditure under the same table for "provision and improvement of litter bins" is also.......you guessed it........0. But "service support costs" in every area is quite high, in some cases higher than the expenditure of the work/job/project.........for instance Wexford spent 232,233 euro in the monitoring of waste regs, but the service support costs were 326,525 euro. What are these "service support costs"? and who gets them.
    The biggest laugh.......in my opinion.........is the expenditure on local roads-maintenance and improvement......not including regional or national roads, but local only..........20.5 million.........well they didn't spend it in Enniscorthy!

Ah sure didn't they throw a few shovels of tarmac into the potholes filled with water. :rolleyes:

It's not even proper tarmac,it's delayset or 'cold tar'-I've used it before and it's not suitable for high traffic areas and definitely not roads plus it's more expensive than actual 'proper' tar.The waste of money is phenomenal while the council finds new ways to tax the businesses that are essential for the life of the town.We're already witnessing the weekly migrations to Arklow,Carlow and Wexford for shopping and as much as people say New Ross has little to offer it can still attract shoppers from Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Given the financial constraints on the council, perhaps it's time to look at re-introducing domestic rates. If councils are having to gouge businesses for money, they'll kill the golden goose.

Advertisement