Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying soldier who died in 1916

Options
  • 12-08-2010 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

a letter was printed in tuesday Aug 3rd Irish Times regarding one of the 250 soldiers killed at fromelles 19th/20th July 1916. it is believed that he was pte William Kavanagh 23042 A company 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers KIA 20-7-1916 from 5 Tyrone place Golden Bridge Inchicore on Dublins southside. his wife was called Mary and the CWGC are looking for relatives to get DNA so he can be identified.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=733286

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

here is his name from Irelands War Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I tried the same last year with the Nenagh soldier who died at Fromelles. I had it in all the Tipp papers and on 2 radio stations with no results. I wish you better luck.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

enfield wrote: »
    I tried the same last year with the Nenagh soldier who died at Fromelles. I had it in all the Tipp papers and on 2 radio stations with no results. I wish you better luck.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    just passing the message on tom, someone here might know his family but imo a lot of people dont even know if they had relatives who took part in WW1.

i have a 1914/1915 star to William Ogilvie Robson born Donegal who was in D-coy 22nd AIF who fought at Fromelles . he was KIA between 27th July and 4th August 1916 just a week after the above. he first landed at Gallipoli with the AIF and he seemed to get himself into a lot of trouble from the start. his last charge was on 15th july 1916 for "drunkeness and breaking out of the ranks" and was given 28 days field punishment no2 . he was killed before it was finished.

Advertisement