Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Plane Scenery - EIKN - Ireland West Airport Knock

Options
  • 12-08-2010 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Scenery for EIKN - Ireland West Airport Knock is now available on x-plane.org. Includes detailed ground plans, buildings and objects.

X-plane.org Download Library

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Thanks for this. You have done a great job with the scenery. EIKN is my local. Its great to have accurate scenery. Let me know if you need any photos to help with any future updates to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 james79

Thanks for the comments bandit!

Created using Google Sketch-up plugin, WED and Overlay Editor, which is very intuitive but has some limitations, so had to leave out some parts I'm working on. I hope to improve the building textures when time allows, add detail and shading. Not figured out how to do dynamic night lighting yet, any tips? Don't have many high-res photographs so thanks for the offer, if you can pm me your images that would be great.

More landslide features would be nice. I've tested car and business park layouts, but the aerial images I have are low res and from OSI so licensed use, don't think I can get free use imagery. They add to performance load so I've kept it lean in this version.

I have also tested roads but there are some issues, float over the abrupt undulating terrain of the base mesh. With "follow terrain contours" turned on they overlay correctly, but runway slope is then unrealistic. Not sure if there currently is a method to get round this, if future WED tools allow I'll try and improve on it, but XP10 may refine mesh detail and add open-streetmap road data when released so I might wait a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Thanks for this, I fly X-plane a lot these days and it's nice to have scenery for Irish fields. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Thanks a mill for this scenery, Im new to X-Plane and rapidly leaving FSX behind. Its great to see your own local scenery enhanced in a simulation as good as X-Plane. Thanks again James79. PS I wonder if you know how to reduce the light glare in the sim, When i look at an aircrafy in the distance all i see is a big blur of lights until the aircraft is nearer. Im not sure but The matrox triplehead20go might be the prob (it was in FSX)
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Simtech wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I fly X-plane a lot these days and it's nice to have scenery for Irish fields. ;)

What is X plane like compared to fsx ,I have seen a few you tube videos but fsx is 4 years old at this point! Is x plane better??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

XPlane gives you a much better flight model compared to FSX and therefore a more realistic simulation. In my experience also, higher frame rates achieved than FSX. Its time to shelve your FSX and come to XPlane as it is constantly in development whereas FSX's development stopped when microsoft closed the Aces studio. (Only a suggestion, the choice is yours!!)

Advertisement