Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social security number?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just a quick question, I have looked through older threads and can't find the answer. I have my WHV for Australia, do I need to apply for a social security number before heading? I went on a J1 a few years back and this was needed before I could secure employment in America, just wondering is the situation the same in Oz?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I have looked through older threads and can't find the answer. I have my WHV for Australia, do I need to apply for a social security number before heading? I went on a J1 a few years back and this was needed before I could secure employment in America, just wondering is the situation the same in Oz?
    Thanks in advance

If you are planning on working you need to apply for a Tax File Number
    you can apply here

you can apply from overseas via this link

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For the sake of completeness, the other option is an ABN number. (austrailian business number). Basicaly registering a business in your name so you can work as a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Advertisement