Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB IS A DUFFER AND HERE'S WHY

• 13-08-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

I was on a nice package with VF 7616/684 and speeds of 6.6 and 700kbs downloads, with 568kbs upload, pings around 40 or better. So well happy, speed may drop slightly in evenings but not much.

Now eircom enable exchange for NGB and at the same time change my profile to NGB. I never asked them to, VF never asked to so what gives. Then I discover my profile is no longer 7616 but back to the profile Eircom says the line is capable of, ie 4096/384. Am I supposed to jump up amd down and say Hurrah for NGB??? am I heck.

I contact VF and they say sheepishly.... yes eircom can do as they like as they own the equipement and I am told I can only get 4mb with NGB as that is what line can take!! But I say that is worse than what I had, why should I accept that? VF have now asked Eircom to switch me back to old profile but I am not holding my breath.

And I believe they have done same to other provider's customers.

So beware of NGB = NOT GETTING BETTER is a proper acronym.

gbcullen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

GBCULLEN, Can you PM me your line's phone number and I'll pass it on to the DSL people directly. I don't know why this is taking so long to sort out by official channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Packet,. can I just query who you are exactly?
    If your Vodafone why are you not using an offical rep account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Cabaal, I'm not Vodafone, I'm eircom. I sit near the DSL guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Packet wrote: »
    Cabaal, I'm not Vodafone, I'm eircom. I sit near the DSL guys.

and that was your first mistake....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

pm sent in a min and thanks for replying.

gb--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cabaal wrote: »
    Packet,. can I just query who you are exactly?
    If your Vodafone why are you not using an offical rep account?

It would be very interesting having a Talk To Eircom forum, but they're probably too scared to set one up.:(

I think that Eircom is the bottleneck in most broadband problems, but no-one seems to be owning up to it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom have their own forum's now http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/Forum/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I was on a nice package with VF 7616/684 and speeds of 6.6 and 700kbs downloads, with 568kbs upload, pings around 40 or better. So well happy, speed may drop slightly in evenings but not much.

Now eircom enable exchange for NGB and at the same time change my profile to NGB. I never asked them to, VF never asked to so what gives. Then I discover my profile is no longer 7616 but back to the profile Eircom says the line is capable of, ie 4096/384. Am I supposed to jump up amd down and say Hurrah for NGB??? am I heck.

I contact VF and they say sheepishly.... yes eircom can do as they like as they own the equipement and I am told I can only get 4mb with NGB as that is what line can take!! But I say that is worse than what I had, why should I accept that? VF have now asked Eircom to switch me back to old profile but I am not holding my breath.

And I believe they have done same to other provider's customers.

So beware of NGB = NOT GETTING BETTER is a proper acronym.

gbcullen

Hiya,
    You're back on the correct profile.
    I'll be following up to find out what happened here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Hi GBCULLEN, to clarify, eircom do not make any changes whatsoever to Vodafone accounts. We only migrate eircom customers to the NGB service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

bruno that is blatantly untrue, I was migrated, I am with VF, next door neighbour migrated with VF, and nephew down the road migrated and with VF. one a mistake, possibly, 2 an oversight, hmmm 3 = deliberate.

Unless of course VF are migrating and not telling us. Apparently its a software change in the excahnage so unless non eircom lines are clearly isolated it must be quite a hard job doing the migration.

I am not too concerned either way. All I want is a line that works. I am back on old now so will check it out over weekend. I am begining to lose faith in this BB malarkey and may just go with whatever ie give up.

gb--

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    bruno that is blatantly untrue, I was migrated, I am with VF, next door neighbour migrated with VF, and nephew down the road migrated and with VF. one a mistake, possibly, 2 an oversight, hmmm 3 = deliberate.

Unless of course VF are migrating and not telling us. Apparently its a software change in the excahnage so unless non eircom lines are clearly isolated it must be quite a hard job doing the migration.

I am not too concerned either way. All I want is a line that works. I am back on old now so will check it out over weekend. I am begining to lose faith in this BB malarkey and may just go with whatever ie give up.

gb--

I think I see your point. Yes, any migrations will ultimatly arrive through eircom infrastructure ... my point was that WE only initiate migrations on eircom customers. Other OAOs migrate their own customers. Hope that makes sense

... If your broadband is with another operator then they alone can initiate your move to another product. In your case I assume this was Vodafone

You seem well up on the whole profiles setup (if not please let me know and I'll explain no problem) so once your line can attain a speed then you can be 'stepped up' to this speed. It's based on your dB level so in some cases you can squeeze your line for a higher speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    We only migrate customers to the NGB service
    i'd be very careful about saying things on a public forum using the term 'we' and referring to any big company (particularly without an official rep account) unless you are an official company rep.

plenty of people have lost their jobs for less.

i'm not a mod and I'm not having a go, you can say whatever you like, just be aware that there can be repercussions for that kind of thing if you've not been authorised to speak on behalf of a company.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'd be very careful about saying things on a public forum using the term 'we' and referring to any big company (particularly without an official rep account) unless you are an official company rep.

plenty of people have lost their jobs for less.

i'm not a mod and I'm not having a go, you can say whatever you like, just be aware that there can be repercussions for that kind of thing if you've not been authorised to speak on behalf of a company.

Thanks Vibe ... it's all good ;)

Advertisement