Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate 1TB External HD

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hey all,

the boyfriend bought one of these today and accidentally interrupted it while it was reformatting. It's pretty much screwed he has tried everything. It is no longer being recognised by the computer

I'm wondering if there is any way I can bring it back to easons? Say it's not working? Ask for a refund or something?

Thoughts?
    Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

how old is it? im sure they would have a return policy (28 days etc).

The matter is, the fault is on the end user here. Its not Easons fault your boyfriend messed it up.

They wont check to see what is wrong with it though, im sure if you go in and explain that it didnt work out of the box they will help you, but be aware that they can turn you away also.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

He just bought it today.

I know it's his own fault, he knows it too, just want to see if there is anything I can do about it really...

Might bring it into them tomorrow
    Thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Try map network drive with it. As it was formatting it will need to be given a drive letter etc again. Go into hard drive management and it should be visible there without any drive letter. Same thing happened with a drive I have, it should be an easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Uh, well you could use the manufacturers tools to format it.
    Something like these found here perhaps >
    Seagate Support

Failing that just contact Seagate and see what they say, I hardly think this is something unfixable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

seithon wrote: »
    Failing that just contact Seagate and see what they say, I hardly think this is something unfixable :)

Just occasionally you can loose power to a USB HDD and do it some damage (the USB to SATA electroics can get damaged if not the drive) but I'd really want to know why you'd be reformating a HDD that came formated ready to use? If it really needed formating then it was DOA anyway.

It wasn't interupted while bouncing off the floor by any chance? Those drives life expectancy is very low when propped on a seat with the power cord stretched out tight to reach the nearest available socket - I've seen the results all to often.

It won't be the first one of these drives that Easons has had back so just take it back and they should swap it. They don't all go wrong the one on my desk here is 12months old and is still working fine.

foggy_lad has a good point, did anyone check if you could see the drive in Disk Management? If you don't know where to look then use the Windows Help and Support feature and search for Disk Management (with the drive plugged in).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd really want to know why you'd be reformating a HDD that came formated ready to use? If it really needed formating then it was DOA anyway.
    Not necessarily. I always format any new HDD I buy because I don't use Windows so FAT or NTFS aren't optimal file systems for my use. We don't know for sure yet that it's a Windows computer.

He was reformatting it because he was switching between Mac and Microsoft.
    And no, it wasn't interrupted while bouncing off the floor. I think I was fairly honest in this post in saying that he screwed it up himself, so I don't need your smart ass suggestions.
    ttm wrote: »
    I'd really want to know why you'd be reformating a HDD that came formated ready to use? If it really needed formating then it was DOA anyway.

It wasn't interupted while bouncing off the floor by any chance? Those drives life expectancy is very low when propped on a seat with the power cord stretched out tight to reach the nearest available socket - I've seen the results all to often.

Thanks to all the advice everyone, but no joy. I'm gonna phone up easons now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bouncing off the floor
    :confused:

You might as well leave it up at the recycle centre.

Seagate will be quick enough to diagnose whether it has been dropped / abused or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'm not saying it's morally right to do so, but you could just simply bring it back, say it's not working and get an exchange.

With regards to seagate knowing if it was dropped, what does it matter if it's returned through easons?

O/P it sounds like it's fixable, as mentioned you could give the manufacture tools a try. They're not difficult to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

OP, says it wasn't dropped, I mentioned it as I have seen plenty that have and I'd guessed the shop might just ask if it had been dropped.

As it is while afaik the unit comes with instructions only for a PC (mine I seem to remember said PC only on the box but it was an earlier batch in a slightly different box) Seagates web site gives instructions for formating its USB hard drives for MAC so theres no reason that would void any warrantee.

I'd just take it back and say its doesn't work, if the OP explains too much to the staff at Easons it might just confuse matters.

btw OP what did Easons say/do when you called them?

• Advertisement

Brought it back to Easons yesterday. They didn't ask me anything. I said that I bought it the previous day and that my computer wasn't picking it up and she just gave me the 80 euro back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

formatting a hard drive should not break it anyway ,if it died half way through the format on the first day u bought it ur perfectly entitled to a refund

i format every drive i buy and have yet to have this happen so id guess its a drive problem (unless u dropped it ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Brought it back to Easons yesterday. They didn't ask me anything. I said that I bought it the previous day and that my computer wasn't picking it up and she just gave me the 80 euro back!

The beauty of buying computer equipment in a store where the staff know nothing about computers!

Advertisement