Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone here think MASER's graffiti is pretty average?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I've never cared enough to hate it, but after seeing the first few, I don't find all these repetitive "Maser Loves You" doodles any more interesting than the grey walls they're sprayed on.
    The first couple deffo had me curious to check out his stuff, and I'm sure there's been the odd one I've liked, but most of it just seems self indulgent muck.

I'm no art critic or graffiti connoisseur, but if pushed on what I like, I suppose I'd say either something that speaks - some message of interest, something funny, ...or at the very least a pretty picture.

I realise I've maybe only seen bits of this guy's work, but if the stuff outside the bernard shaw pub near portobello is typical, then I don't mind calling it mundane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'd beg to differ, see here for his stuff...

http://maserart.blogspot.com/

There's a few I'd be willing to buy for my apartment, especially this one..Saw it up close, was pretty damn cool

5108408976a7917340771l.jpg

edit:

There's also some cool stuff down on the North docks and over in the 'Joy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

how do u pronounce the name,?? is it MASSER or MACER?? either way, i do like some of the stuff but i hate stupid name spellings. lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

@Jev/N.........

just had a scroll down through that link, and honestly, if I was to pick one I half-liked, I'd go for the same one you've posted, but the rest........

If I'd seen this page before, I'd have used it to illustrate my point to begin with. Several bland "Maser Loves You" pieces, "Eye HEART my city" (pants), and others similar.

better than nothing maybe, - brightens the place up a bit. But all I'm seeing is mediocrity scrawled in loud colours.

is it just me? am I missing something.....?

how do u pronounce the name,?? is it MASSER or MACER?? either way, i do like some of the stuff but i hate stupid name spellings. lol:pac:

macer i think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

macer i think

Ye it's pronouced Macer. Some of his stuff in the Tivoli carpark is quality along with some of his stuff down in Bernard Shaws pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Ah jeez, Bernard Shaws, some pub. :rolleyes:

And wait a sec,,, maser doesnt always do the "art" there does he?

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Ah jeez, Bernard Shaws, some pub. :rolleyes:

And wait a sec,,, maser doesnt always do the "art" there does he?

:confused:

The boards next to Bernard Shaw are usually always Masers stuff and in the back in the yard there's a bit of stuff in there too.

So he did the masssive pair of tits ...

psh!

CavanCrew wrote: »
    So he did the masssive pair of tits ...

psh!

Haven't been down there in a while, but it would have Maser somewhere on the boards if it's his, most likely it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Haven't been down there in a while, but it would have Maser somewhere on the boards if it's his, most likely it would be.

There's about 4/5 artists that paint there, not sure if that was him. Doesn't really seem like him.

OP, if you don't like his stuff, are there any graffiti artists you do like? Banksy, Invader, Pixnit etc? You have to admit he's a lot better than the UEK crew anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why dont graffiti "artists" paint thier shiite on thier own property instead of destroying other people's?

Oh i know..because none of them have thier own property..they all live with thier mothers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Degsy wrote: »
    Why dont graffiti "artists" paint thier shiite on thier own property instead of destroying other people's?

Oh i know..because none of them have thier own property..they all live with thier mothers.

Ah the old art vs public property debate. Good man Degsy. There is a huge difference between scrawled graffiti and art, but of course people like yourself tar it all with the one brush.

And its their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All I know about Maser is that he loves me.

:)

wixfjord wrote: »
    . There is a huge difference between scrawled graffiti and art, but of course people like yourself tar it all with the one brush.

My question remains..Why not do it on thier OWN property?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Ah the old art vs public property debate. Good man Degsy. There is a huge difference between scrawled graffiti and art, but of course people like yourself tar it all with the one brush.

And its their.

I agree, huge difference between scrawled graffiti and art.

But I am afraid there's no difference between defacing private property and defacing private property irrespective as to whether you think it's "good" or "artistic". which i think is the point Degsy was making.

And the whole "And its their" thing? - Did you really have to make that point :confused::rolleyes:

Ps. It's "And it's their" btw ;):cool:

I prefer Banksys stuff, there is a little bit more to it... and sometimes masers display of love isnt always reciprocated.

My question remains..Why not do it on thier OWN property?

In my experience they do. Guarantee if you go to big writers houses, the whole back garden will be sprayed, and there might even be a few rooms inside sprayed too.

That completely defeats the purpose of what they're trying to achieve though. They're trying to turn a boring horrible piece of grey public cement into something nice to look at for everyone, and a lot of the time they do.

grey public cement into something nice to look at for everyone.

What if "everyone" doesnt think its "nice"?
    Secondly why should they inflict their handiwork on the "public" who have to see it despite not wanting to.

Graffiti looks terrible regardless of what the "artists" may think,it devalues property and has a negative psychological effect on people who live in areas where its prevalent.

Nobody is consulted before an area is defaced and it usually results in dozens of assholes all vying for attention on one peice of wall or whatever..destroying the ambience of an area so that it quickly resembles a ghetto.

The fact is tht the "artists" are little more than egotistical vandals who blight other people's property with thier nonsense because they want to validate thier own pointless existence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont think Maser/Macers graffiti is average.

I think it's vandalism.

Do you really think horrible, concrete, crumbling, dirty walls and construction boards look nicer than this:

dscf1309.jpg

2799496658_47a705ca8a.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I lost all respect for Maser after i saw one of 'his' pieces in a book of pictures by another graffiti artist. We'll leave the artist bit in there because a lot of them are quite decent. I'm not his biggest fan though, and unlike most other people who drink in the bernard shaw, I don't generally kiss the ground he walks upon. He's good but he's far from banksy, and i think that he does ride on his coat tails a little bit, dublin being a pretty small and easily impressed pond.

I do generally think there are some public spaces they (graffiti artists) wouldn't be welcome, but i've never seen one in Dublin where it wasn't appropriate.

There's about 4/5 artists that paint there, not sure if that was him. Doesn't really seem like him.

OP, if you don't like his stuff, are there any graffiti artists you do like? Banksy, Invader, Pixnit etc? You have to admit he's a lot better than the UEK crew anyway.

i'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about who those graffiti artists are. - aside from banksy of course, and yeah I really do like a lot of his stuff.

in fact, maybe that's what was riling me to begin with..... I think Banksy and Maser must be the only two graffiti artists whose stuff I half know, - so maybe that's a tough comparison I've been basing Maser against, but I really just think there's so very little to this guy's stuff.
    Save for adding welcome colour to some otherwise ugly walls, the content is continually drab, uninteresting. More decorative than arty I always think.

...and when I mention arty, I'm never wishing for something deeply profound, but just humourous even. It's neither. It's dull.

Do you really think horrible, concrete, crumbling, dirty walls and construction boards look nicer than this:

dscf1309.jpg

there's a side debate which I'm sure deserves it's own thread going on here about whether graffiti is more vandalism than art......

i'll just say that without having given much consideration to people living in any widely sprayed areas, my own opinion is that I prefer seeing half-decent colourful graffiti around than just grey, grey, grey.

so yeah, for the most part I do prefer dublin with stuff like the above than without, but I still say that this continual "Maser loves you" thing from the first pic has been old for a long, long time now, and as for the second one, I can't rate that in the half-decent bracket I just talked about. It really is the opposite to good.

dublin being a pretty small and easily impressed pond.
    ........spot on.

I was talking to a guy who was asked to do a piece with Maser ages ago.
    he told me that between the few arty chaps contributing, there was more recognition for his ability to self-promote than his can-handling skills.
    While the others were still finishing off, Maser was making all the right phonecalls to let the world know he'd been doing his thing.

if he can make some moolah off it then why not I guess.
    I think my gripe is, that usually when I'm looking at his stuff, it just seems it's less a demonstration of his artistry than it is an advertisement for the man himself. Loads of his pieces are just his own bloody name scrawled large, - all I see in those ones is one big boring logo. Absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i quite like his stuff, he did an exhibition in a friends shop a couple of years ago and i would have liked some of the pieces but they're quite pricey... i'm enjoying the new stuff that he's doing with damo dempsey, along the north quays, well, i've seen two there but it think there are a good few more..

i've always enjoyed banksys stuff, i moved to london in 2003 when he was beginning to get pretty big and it was always exciting when you spotted a new piece (at this stage he only had two small a6 books for sale) but now i do think he's a bit of a sell out...although, in fairness, if you could...

dscf1309.jpg

Yes..the walls were built by crafstmen for a purpose at somebody's behest.
    The Graffiti was sprayed by an arsehole who wants everyone to think how great he is..probably living at home with his parents too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Yes..the walls were built by crafstmen for a purpose at somebody's behest.
    The Graffiti was sprayed by an arsehole who wants everyone to think how great he is..probably living at home with his parents too.

What has that got to do with it? Making yourself sound foolish with that sort of ****e.

What has that got to do with it? Making yourself sound foolish with that sort of ****e.

That's Degsy, one of the most cynical members of boards.

I think it looks great. Brightens up the place, shows a bit of individuality that Dublin doesn't do great at.

Its usually true in my experience...you know why?
    Coz if these fools were paying a mortage instead of living at home they'd have more respect for other people's property...writing on walls is what the "bold boys" did in school..grafitti "artists" arent even Bold boys..they're cowards and ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 basil83

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I think it looks great. Brightens up the place, shows a bit of individuality that Dublin doesn't do great at.

Totally agree. Not into pointless random tagging but Maser's usually commissioned to do pieces so clearly at least some of the owners of the buildings he's painted place a value on his work. Complaining that you don't want to see it is like moaning about architecture that doesn't meet your personal values of taste - tbh if that were the case I'd probably be more sympathetic because we truly have f-ed that side of things up in this city but unlike poor design, graffiti is a transient thing and if you don't like it, well it'll probably be replaced by something else soon. This very anti-graf (having admitted you know very little about it), all painters are losers who live with their mammy argument makes you sound petulant. Dublin's a very grey bland space, particularly down by the quays with many projects on hold and buildings falling into disrepair so if someone wants to put something down there to look at then I'm all for it. A huge amount of technical skill and time goes into creating a piece and while I may not love or even like everything Maser does, I respect the work involved and I like the fact that someone's trying. Banksy only transitioned to a household name because he injected a sense of humour into proceedings and managed to make people who hate graffiti look at it in a different way. If Maser did attempt the witty, pseudo-political route he'd be bashed as a Banksy rip off (just as Banksy has been compared to Blek le Rat) so he's obviously trying to do his own thing with the love tag. Granted he has gotten quite repetitive but he's a lot younger and he's not the only skilled graffiti artist in Dublin so perhaps in a few years someone will emerge on a more noteworthy scale. Perhaps not. Til then I don't mind seeing love in unlikely places.

Advertisement