Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne or Brisbane for the year?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi guys. Im heading to Oz for the year in November and cant decide whether to go to Melbourne of Brisbane. I know, depends on what your looking for but some opinions would help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

cristoff07 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Im heading to Oz for the year in November and cant decide whether to go to Melbourne of Brisbane. I know, depends on what your looking for but some opinions would help. Thanks.

Have never been to Melbourne but have been to Brisbane (for a few hours!). Brisbane seemed like a nice city but had more than a corporate, serious, 'city' feel than say the likes of Sydney. Some say Brisbane is a bit dull but it seemed cool to me - if it were me I'd be going for Melbourne though - I hear great things about it and I don't doubt it's a lot more exciting and cultural than Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Little Miss Fun

Hi - I fell in love with Melbourne. Such a pretty city, people really friendly and lots to do. Its a little bit colder than the rest of Oz though, IMO. Only stayed in Brisbane for 2 months and I liked it but as the above poster said there is more of a corporate feel to it.

Are you planning to work over there or need a starting point for travel?

BTW - Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Lived in brisbane before and weather-wise you'll get no better. Great lifestyle there. It has a good social scene too but not as good as melbourne and sydney. Most people travelling in Oz just pass through brisbane and dont get a feel for the place. If you're sick of the irish weather i say hit for brisbane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cristoff07

thats guys for the advice.

@Little miss fun : yeh im plannin on stayin in oz for the year to try get work and c what happens from there. Not a lot going on in Ireland at the mo im afraid so looking for a fresh start. I think i'll start off in melbourne anyway. cheers

ooooops. that shud be "Thanks guys for the advice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Lived in both cities. Melbourne is fantastic. Not sure if it's the best for getting work. However this may have changed since I was there last (2007). Weather wise - it's great in the summer. It does get cold though in the winter. Aussie cold like. Not -5c or anything. But 9c would feel cold after a summer of 40c. It's got the whole 4 seasons in one day thing going on aswell.

Brisbane is a nice spot too. I liked it, but mainly because of the crowd I was with. Good city for the work. Weather is always good.

If it was me, I'd choose Melbourne, but Brisbane would be my 2nd city in Australia. Just don't ever live in Darwin. Ever.

Thanks gaudizeit.

Ive made up my mind. me and my friend are flying over to Melbourne on the 15th November and we're gonna take it from there. Cant wait :):):)

oh, and why not darwin whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

cristoff07 wrote: »
    oh, and why not darwin whats wrong with that?

Too many wild lunatics going troppo from the heat up there. Far too hot in the high season. Expensive hostels. It's a one street city and not nice. It's near 2 national parks, but that's it. It's out of the way and a waste of money in my opinion.

I just didn't like it. I'm sure others do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What are you into (hobbies etc..). Melbourne is a real "artsy" place, if that's what you are into. I would think the changes in weather in Melbourne could be good just to experience a change in season.
    I found Brisbane far too hot...

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    What are you into (hobbies etc..). Melbourne is a real "artsy" place, if that's what you are into. I would think the changes in weather in Melbourne could be good just to experience a change in season.
    I found Brisbane far too hot...

hi seachto7 thanks for your reply.

i wudnt call myself an artsy person by any means but im open to anything really. not the type of person whos obsessed with clubbin and drinkin 24/7 or anything haha.....dont get me wrong.....im not a boring bast**d......more into the outdoors kind of things rather than spending my summer in a bar........

ive actually already decided on Melbourne. me and my friend are flyin out on 15th of november. not completely restricting ourselves to melbourne tho. we're both engineers so we'll go where the work is. just think that melbourne is a good starting point.

hi seachto7 thanks for your reply.

i wudnt call myself an artsy person by any means but im open to anything really. not the type of person whos obsessed with clubbin and drinkin 24/7 or anything haha.....dont get me wrong.....im not a boring bast**d......more into the outdoors kind of things rather than spending my summer in a bar........

ive actually already decided on Melbourne. me and my friend are flyin out on 15th of november. not completely restricting ourselves to melbourne tho. we're both engineers so we'll go where the work is. just think that melbourne is a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

best of luck with it. I was only in Brissie visiting a friend for a few days, in March, and found it WAY too hot for my liking, but that was just me. I found the heat in Perth bearable, and Melbs too...

There's a difference between working in a hot place, and being on holiday there...

Advertisement