Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silence's Sporting Log.

Options
  • 13-08-2010 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I just decided I would take-up gambling as a hobby. It'll be fun to see if I can turn a profit, and it should enhance my viewing experience, because as they say, 'it matters more when there's money on it.'

I'm new to gambling though, so I could take awhile to get the hang of things. Feel free to offer me any advice you may have.

I'll bet on any sport, but I'll mainly be betting on football. I'll try and add a bit of variety by throwing in bets on other sports every so often. If you'd like to suggest a bet, I'd love to hear from you.

I'll use a points system, and I'll start with 15 Points. For reference, 1 Point is equal to 1 euro.

If you're following one of my tips, I'd appreciate if you let me know, either by thanking the post or replying here.

I guess I'll see you guys around,
    Silence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

hey,welcome to boards.
    best of luck with the log,
    main thing is to stay disciplined and you should do ok.

i strongly fancy hawthorn hawks in the aussi football,there 8/13 on pp.
    i think you should have a look into it,dont just take my bet blindly.should be solid enough doh..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Silence.

Here's my first bet anyway, it should be relatively straightforward, as the odds will show.

Sporting Braga vs. Portimonense.
    Sporting Braga win @1.36. (Paddy Power)

My first bet is on tonight's Liga Sagres clash between last year's runners-up, Sporting Braga, and newly promoted, Portimonense. Sporting Braga should have no problem seeing off Portimonense tonight, and I am confident that Braga will win, and win comfortably.

Sporting Braga were last season's suprise package, pushing Benfica right until the last game of the season in the Liga Sagres. Their efforts earned them a place in the Champions League, where they will take on Sevilla in the midweek qualifiers and Domingos Paciência will want to go into that match brimming with confidence.

Sporting Braga have been very busy in the transfer market this Summer, and have made a few decent signings. We've already seen Braga's quality, as they comfortably dispatched Celtic 3-0 at home in the Champions League.

Last season, Braga had the best defensive record in the Liga Sagres, and the signing of a few defenders and four goalkeepers will only add more strength to an already solid defensive unit. I can't see Portimonense scoring tonight, so it should be an easy opening game for Braga.

On the other hand, Portimonense have signed thirteen new players in the hope of surviving their first season back in the Liga Sagres, though I don't see that helping them tonight. The signing of goalkeeper Hugo Ventura from Porto will help steady things up at the back, but it won't be enough to keep out a hungry Sporting Braga.

So, I'm going for Sporting Braga to win tonight. You may want to go for Sporting Braga -1, or Sporting Braga to win to nil, but I need to concentrate on building up my bank first.

9 Points - Sporting Braga to win @1.36. (Paddy Power)

Bet 1: Sporting Braga 3 - 1 Portimonense. Win!

I'm off to a winning start anyway, let's hope I can keep this up. I won't be betting tomorrow as I don't have enough time to look over things. I'll be posting my next bet tomorrow night. For now, here's my stats so far.

Bank - 18.27 Points (+3.27 Points)

Bets - 1.
    Wins - 1.
    SR - 100%.
    Staked - 9 Points.
    Returned - 12.27 Points.

I haven't found any games on tomorrow that appeal to me yet, but I like the look of this bet.

Liverpool vs. Arsenal.
    Carragher to be booked @2.62. (Paddy Power)

I think Liverpool will win tomorrow, but it's too tight to call for me, and it could really go either way. I'll be interested to see how Arsenal will cope without their star-player, Fabregas, who will be rested after his World Cup final appearance.

However, there is one bet that interests me, and that is Jamie Carragher to be booked @2.62. There's no doubt that Jamie Carragher was a top defender in his prime, but he is no longer at that level anymore. Carragher was never considered a fast defender even at the peak of his career, and now that he is getting older, he is seriously lacking in pace. Tomorrow, Carragher will go head-to-head with Chamakh, who will be eager to impress on his competitive debut for Arsenal. I think Carragher will struggle to keep tabs on a pacy Chamakh, and I strongly believe he will be booked for one of his trademark fouls.

2 Points - Carragher to be booked @2.62. (Paddy Power)

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Silence. wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see how Arsenal will cope without their star-player, Fabregas, who will be rested after his World Cup final appearance.

Best of luck with the bet but Fabregas should be fit to play.

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the bet but Fabregas should be fit to play.

I'm pretty sure I heard he was starting on the bench, along with Robin Van Persie, and also Torres for Liverpool?

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Not from what I hear, it'll be decided tomorrow but he's a OK to start according to people on another forum.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Not from what I hear, it'll be decided tomorrow but he's a OK to start according to people on another forum.

Ah sure, that's good from a betting perspective. Hopefully, Fabregas will play a lot of through-balls to Arsenal's forwards, giving Carragher plenty of opportunity to get booked. :pac:

Except I'm a Liverpool fan, so I hope nothing comes of the fouls Carragher gives away.

coughlan08 wrote: »
    hey,welcome to boards.
    best of luck with the log,
    main thing is to stay disciplined and you should do ok.

i strongly fancy hawthorn hawks in the aussi football,there 8/13 on pp.
    i think you should have a look into it,dont just take my bet blindly.should be solid enough doh..;)

Thanks Coughlan! I did have a look at Hawthorn Hawks, but I decided to give it a miss. I want to build up my bank a bit first, by sticking to what I know best, football. I appreciate the tip nonetheless.

I've gone for the following Welsh double. I don't really have any reasoning to be honest, just that I expect them both to win as they are better sides.

Airbus UK vs. Llanelli.
    Llanelli win @1.66.

Last year's Welsh Premier League runners-up, Llanelli, travel to play Airbus UK today in their opening league game. Llanelli, who finished just two points behind Welsh champions TNS last season will hope to get off to a winning start today to mount another title challenge. Their opponents, Airbus UK, finished seventh last season, albeit just eight points outside the relegation zone. Llanelli have already featured in European competition this season, so they should be that bit sharper today. I'm hoping Llanelli's sharpness, along with their quality, will be enough for them to overcome Airbus UK today.

Port Talbot vs. Bala Town
    Port Talbot win @1.44.

Port Talbot Town host Bala Town today in their first game of the new Welsh league campaign. Port Talbot, who finished third last year, shouldn't have too many problems in dispatching Bala Town, who finished a dangerous four points above the relegation zone last season. After a disappointing start to season in the Europa League, Port Talbot will be looking to record a win in front of their home fans to regain some confidence, and gain some momentum to mount a serious title challenge.

2 Points - Port Talbot and Llanelli double @2.41. (Paddy Power)

• Advertisement

Carragher starts, so my bet was placed. Fabregas doesn't even travel.

Bet 2: Carragher not booked. Lose!

Bet 3: Airbus UK 1 - 2 Llanelli. Port Talbot 2 - 0 Bala Town. Win!

Bank - 19.08 Points (+4.08 Points)

Bets - 3.
    Wins - 2.
    SR - 66%.
    Staked - 13 Points.
    Returned - 17.08 Points.

Here's my first bet for next weekend.

West Brom vs. Sunderland.
    Sunderland to win @2.70. (Paddy Power)

I don't know about everyone else, but I was shocked when I saw West Brom were favourites for this game. West Brom are off the back of a 6-0 embarrassment at the hands of Chelsea. Meanwhile, Sunderland got a point off Birmingham after throwing away a 2-0 lead.

West Brom are a shambles in my opinion, and I would be very surprised if they didn't get relegated. They will struggle, in particular, to deal with the pace and trickery of Darren Bent. I don't really know what else to say, other than these odds are an absolute steal.

4 Points - Sunderland to win @2.70. (Paddy Power)

I've gone for the following treble for the midweek European matches. I don't have any reasoning to be honest, other than that they are all better sides and I think they'll win.

Liverpool vs. Trabzonspor.
    Liverpool win @1.25.

Liverpool face Turkish side Trabzonspor in the Europa League on Thursday, after overcoming Macedonian side Rabotnicki 4-0 on aggregate in the last round. Liverpool were extremely unlucky not to beat Arsenal on Sunday, with a 90th minute own-goal, from the usually reliable Pepe Reina, denying them an opening-day victory. Liverpool fans are optimistic though after the good performance, albeit against a lackluster Arsenal side.

Liverpool will want to wrap-up the tie on Thursday, as Turkey is a tough place to travel to. Liverpool may rest some players, but I don't see that affecting the outcome of the match. I think Liverpool will win by a two goal cushion, whilst also denying Trabzonspor an away goal to take back to Turkey.

FC Timisoara vs. Man City.
    Man City win @1.66.

Man City will feature in Europe for the first time since their takeover on Thursday night. Their opponents, Romanian minnows FC Timisoara. I fully believe Man City will take this competition seriously. They haven't won anything in ages and they will take whatever silverware they can get.

Man City were thankful to get a point away at Tottenham on Saturday, mainly down to Joe Hart. Man City may rest players for this game, with another vital clash against Liverpool on Monday night. However, Man City have an absolute beast of a squad, and their 'second-string' wouldn't be beaten my many. From Shay Given to Adebayor, Man City's second team is studded with players who would walk into most Premier League teams.

Man City should win this comfortably, and the fringe players will want to impress Maincini with places in City's 25-man squad up for grabs.

Young Boys vs. Tottenham.
    Tottenham win @1.72.

Tottenham will travel to Switzerland to take on a Young Boys Bern in the Champions League tonight. Tottenham will be very eager to do well in the Champions League this year, and this tie should pose no problems for them.

Spurs were very unlucky to draw with Man City at the weekend, but will be happy with the performance they put in. Young Boys have an 'artificial' pitch, and this should suit Tottenham's free-flowing game. Young Boys are on a terrible run as of late, winning only one of their last five games. Spurs should win comfortably tonight, and any other result will surprise me greatly.

1 Point - Liverpool, Man City, and Tottenham treble @3.60. (Paddy Power)

Tottenham let my last bet down. I honestly didn't see that coming.

Torquay vs. Bradford.
    Torquay to win @2.00. (Paddy Power)

Torquay United are currently sitting top of League Two after winning their first two league games, scoring five and not conceding a single goal. After losing their opening fixture against Shrewsbury, Bradford got off the mark last weekend, beating newly-promoted side, Stevenage Borough.

Torquay have are unbeaten in around eight or nine games, going back to the end of last season. They gave a spirited performance against Reading in the League Cup last week, holding them to a 0-0 draw, before being knocked out in extra-time.

Torquay are the team to beat at the moment, and Benyon is in good form up-front, netting a brace against Lincoln City last weekend. I'll always have a soft-spot for Torquay as I always play as them on Fifa.

1 Point - Torquay to win @2.00. (Paddy Power)

Wigan vs. Chelsea.
    Chelsea -2 @3.10 (Paddy Power)

Premier League champions, Chelsea, travel to the DW Stadium to take on Wigan, after thrashing West Brom 6-0 last weekend. On the other hand, Wigan were beaten 4-0 by newly-promoted relegation favourites, Blackpool. Wigan will be hurt deeply by that result, and a game against Chelsea is not what they would have wanted next.

Chelsea have a habit of knocking the goals past weaker teams, often hitting five or six. Chelsea ended last season by beating Wigan 8-0 at Stamford Bridge, picking up the title in the process. While I don't think Chelsea will put that much past Wigan this weekend, I still think they will win by at least three. I was surprised to see the odds so high, but Chelsea have struggled against Wigan in recent seasons, losing 3-1 in this fixture last season.

I think Chelsea should do it, but it could go either way. If Chelsea get an early goal, Wigan heads will drop, and Chelsea should score more. Against Blackpool, Wigan's defense were terrible and it could have been six or seven. I can see Didier Drogba having a field-day against Wigan, and I wouldn't put it past him to get another hatrick. The title could very well be decided by goal-difference this year, and Chelsea will take every opportunity they can to significantly boost theirs.

4 Points - Chelsea -2 @3.10 (Paddy Power)

--

Wigan vs. Chelsea.
    Chelsea to win both halves @2.75. (Paddy Power)

As I said above, Chelsea are a far superior side to Wigan, and should knock quite a few goals past Wigan. At the very least, I believe, they will score one in the first half and another two in the second half.

I think the odds for both of my bets on this match are generous, but maybe I'm not giving Wigan enough respect. We'll see come next weekend.

1 Point - Chelsea to win both halves @2.75. (Paddy Power)

Bet 4: West Brom 1 - 0 Sunderland. Lose!

Bet 5: Young Boys 3 - 2 Tottenham. (Lose). Liverpool 1 - 0 Trabzonspor. (Win). FC Timisoara 0 - 1 Man City. (Win) Lose!

Bet 6: Torquay 2 - 0 Bradford. Win!

Bet 7: Wigan 0 - 6 Chelsea. Wigan 0 - 4 Chelsea (-2) Win!

Bet 8: Wigan 0 - 1 Chelsea (1st Half). (Win.) Wigan 0 - 5 Chelsea. (Win.) Win!

--

Bank - 22.13 Points (+ 7.13Points)

Bets - 8.
    Wins - 5.
    SR - 63%.
    Staked - 24 Points.
    Returned - 31.13 Points.

Well, I've gone for a GAA bet for a change. I don't have any reasoning, and I'm not going to ramble on and pretend I know what I'm talking about it, when I don't. I've made this bet on the advice of Sir Vival, who seems to have a good idea of the local football scene in Roscommon.

Elphin vs. St. Croans.
    Elphin to win @1.33.

Roscommon Gaels vs. St. Faithleachs.
    St. Faithleachs to win @1.57.

4 Points - Double @2.10 (Paddy Power)

--

Elphin vs. St. Croans.
    Elphin to win @1.33. (Paddy Power)

1 Point - Elphin to win @1.33. (Paddy Power)

--

Roscommon Gaels vs. St. Faithleachs.
    St. Faithleachs to win @1.57. (Paddy Power)

1 Point - St. Faithleachs to win @1.57. (Paddy Power)

Bet 9: Elphin 0-12 - 0-8 St. Croans. (Win). Roscommon Gaels 0-6 - 1-9 St. Faithleachs. (Win). Win!

Bet 10: Elphin 0-12 - 0-8 St. Croans. Win!

Bet 11: Roscommon Gaels 0-6 - 1-9 St. Faithleachs. Win!

--

Bank - 27.41 Points (+ 12.41 Points)

Bets - 11.
    Wins - 8.
    SR - 72%.
    Staked - 30 Points.
    Returned - 42.41 Points.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands anymore, so I won't be able to give reasoning for all my bets.

Man City vs. Liverpool.
    Liverpool to win (DNB) @2.20 (Paddy Power)

Liverpool were unlucky not to beat Arsenal last weekend, giving away a 90th minute own goal. They're off the back of a 1-0 win against Trabzonspor in the Europa League. Roy Hodgson opted to rest quite a few of Liverpool's starting eleven, so fatigue should not be a problem. Torres will start and I'm confident he will score at the weekend, though it may take something special to beat Joe Hart.

Man City traveled to White Hart Lane in the Premier League opener last weekend and were lucky to leave with a point. They didn't perform particularly well, and, if it wasn't for Joe Hart, they could've lost by three or four. Man City are still very much a work-in-progress as they try to gel, and I don't think they'll gel quick enough to beat Liverpool tomorrow.

Mancini may hinder Man City's ambitions this season with his defensive approach to things, and I don't think he'll be in the job this time next year. Just to be safe, I've gone for Liverpool DNB.

2 Points - Liverpool to win (DNB) @2.20 (Paddy Power)

• Advertisement

Just a quick treble to add some interest - no real reasoning.

Shamrock Rovers vs. UCD.
    Shamrock Rovers to win @1.36.

Breidablik Kopavogur vs. Haukar Hafnafjordur.
    Breidablik Kopavogur to win @1.20.

FC Honka vs. JJK Jyvaskyla.
    FC Honka to win @1.44.

1 Point - Treble @2.36. (Paddy Power)

Advertisement