Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really good bands!!!!!!!

Options
  • 13-08-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭

Can you all just give me a list of bands you think are really good and you listen to.

I've deleted all the music on my iPod and need ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

just check out the top 30 bands in the irish charts and then make sure that none of them end up on your ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Brendog wrote: »
    Can you all just give me a list of bands you think are really good and you listen to.
    What genres do you like? There is a vast quantity of music out there but there's not much point in recommending Trance if you're a Death Metal fan for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

blink 182,the xx, two door cinema club, the pre sets, calvin harris, example, mr hudson, tinnie tempah , vampire weekend, arcade fire,phoenix, the cure, pixie lott, take that, mstrkrft,joy division, peache's,mumford and sons,she wants revenge , modest mouse , new found glory , paramore,the dead weather,the streets ,m83, yelle,kele,ellie goulding, lmfao,passion pit, the postal service , the smiths ,little boots, animal kingdom, angels and airwaves, mgmt ,yellowcard, the maccabess, dashb oard confessional, editors,lcd sound system,kid cudi , ceo, foals , crystal castle's, the police , hot chip ,the prodigy , NEW ORDER, one republic, nine inch nails , neon neon , miike snow, flithy dukes,robyn, daft punk ,the script, lykki li , ell's, devo , depeche mode,fever ray ,chromeo, the knife ,simian mobile disco ,soft cell, tiga , timberland, veto , the wild beast's, yeasayer , late of the peir , the animal collective, the whip, whitest boys alive ,+44, 30 seconds to mars , dead mau5 , julian casablancas , bloc party,josh ritter, joshua radin, damien rice, immy eat world,imogen heap , the bloody beetroots, how to destroy angels ,glen hansard , gentle touch , girls aloud ,friendly fires , gar numan, city and colour , airbourne, frank sinatra , ella fitzgerald , benny goodman , cole porter , a flock of seagulls , the drums , duffy , death cab for cutie , cut copy , the clash , au revoir simone ,

theres a few for yeh hahaha give some a try you might like , didnt take into acount what genre you were into , and i didnt put any dj type music eg, house, electro etc

enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bands are so 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

my top bands would be

kasabian, oasis, blur, stone roses, led zepplin, the who, the kinks, beatles, the clash, the jam, gorillaz, the killers, kings of leon, the strokes, u2, vampire weekend, justice, daft punk, the prodigy, the smiths, sterophonics, the verve, arctic monkeys, n.w.a and the enemy are all very good :)

Kold wrote: »
    Bands are so 1990.

and???. . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Kold wrote: »
    Bands are so 1990.

sorry but we don't ALL like Justin Beiber.....

just downloaded Blur, U2, Iron Maiden, Led Zepplin, Fenech Soler, Foals, Wolfmother, Kasabian, Tenacious D, The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins....

so I'm sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pendulum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

sorry but we don't ALL like Justin Beiber.....

Well in fairness, you didn't indicate any discernible taste in your first post.
    just downloaded Blur, U2, Iron Maiden, Led Zepplin, Fenech Soler, Foals, Wolfmother, Kasabian, Tenacious D, The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins....

so I'm sorted

Did you download these bands illegally, with no intent to ever purchase them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'll just bust out a few standard must haves by genre.

Classic Rock: The Doors, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Love, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, Rory Gallagher, Pink Floyd.

Soul/Funk/Jazz: Sly & The Family Stone, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, John Coltrane, Ray Charles, Parliament/Funkadelic, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, The Meters, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Stevie Wonder

Reggae/Ska/Dub Bob Marley and The Wailers, Lee Scratch Perry, Steel Pulse, Toots and the Maytals, Sly and Robbie, Burning Spear, Big Youth, The Skatalites, The Beat, Madness, The Specials, Augustus Pablo.

Hip Hop: A Tribe Called Quest, Big L, The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, The Beastie Boys, Gang Starr, The Fugees, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, De La Soul, Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Wu Tang Clan, RJD2.

Electronic/House/Drum and Bass: Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, Pendulum, Digitalism, The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Leftfield, Aphex Twin, Faithless.

Chillout/Lounge/Downtempo : Air, Zero 7, Brian Eno, Portishead, DJ Shadow, Lemon Jelly, Moby, Nightmares on Wax, Massive Attack, Royksopp, Groove Armada, Boards of Canada.

Rock/Punk/Metal Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Iggy Pop, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, Alice in Chains, The Clash, The Ramones, Joy Division, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, System of a Down, Soundgarden, The Mars Volta, Redneck Manifesto.

Indie/Other: The Smiths, The Cure, The Pixies, The Stone Roses, The Libertines, Elliot Smith, Nick Drake, Beck, Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, REM, The Dandy Warhols, Iron & Wine, Devendra Banhart, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beirut, Sigur Ros, Radiohead.

Should be some stuff there that you'll like anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

magma69 wrote: »
    Hip Hop: A Tribe Called Quest, Big L, The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, The Beastie Boys, Gang Starr, The Fugees, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, De La Soul, Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Wu Tang Clan, RJD2.

you've gotta have Madvillain in that list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

i didnt put any dj type music eg, house, electro etc
    A V A wrote: »
    calvin harris ... mstrkrft ... daft punk ... dead mau5 ... the bloody beetroots

??

I like magma69's approach; what kinds of music are you interested in? With such an aimless premise to a thread, you're opening yourself up to aimless comments like Kold's joke. Chill out.

Bands artists people Things I think are interesting and worth a listen no matter what you're into;
    The Flaming Lips (circa 1995 - 2001 for my favourite stuff, The Soft Bulletin is my favourite album ever), Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Miles Davis (try Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, In A Silent Way), The Clash, The Magnetic Fields, Igor Stravinsky (try The Firebird), Olivier Messiaen (try Quartet for the End of Time), Arvo Pärt (try Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten), Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Henryk Górecki (try his 3rd Symphony) DJ Shadow, Gyorgi Ligeti (try Atmospheres, you might know it from 2001: A Space Odyssey), Steve Reich (try City Life) and Iannis Xenakis (try Rebonds and Metastasis).

ye sorry about that i only realized that yesterday , was going to change it !! i have a fair more to ad in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Blue oyster cult have some great numbers. I'd recommend giving them a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Bruce Springsteen, Whitesnake, Dire Straits, Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Bryan Adams, Kraftwerk, Frank Sinatra, Motley Crue, Ratt, Phil Collins, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi, KISS, Steve Earle, AC/DC, The Eagles, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Scorpions, The Cult, Whitney Houston, Dio, Black Sabbath, Elvis Costello, The Offspring, John Sykes, The Clash, Huey Lewis and the News, Riot, Steve Vai, Mark Knopfler, Vandenberg, Megadeth, Eric Clapton, Skid Row, Nik Kershaw, Simple Minds, Metallica, Free, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Boston, Journey, Phil Coulter, Kenny Loggins, The Doors, Gary Moore, Cheap Trick, Warrant, Thin Lizzy, Michael Schenker, Ozzy Osbourne, McAuley-Schenker Group, Deep Purple, Dean Martin, Jennifer Rush, Jan Hammer, Meat Loaf, Rammstein, Quiet Riot, Poison, Queen, Elvis Presley, Winger, Willie Nelson, The Who, The Waterboys, Spandau Ballet, Slayer, Extreme, Genesis, Roy Orbison, Chris Isaak, Rolling Stones, Simon And Garfunkel, The Darkness, Asia, Dokken, Electric Light Orchestra, Elton John, Foreigner, Gipsy Kings, Green Day, INXS, The Ramones, Kenny G, Loverboy, Motorhead, Pet Shop Boys, REO Speedwagon....................

Pretty much everyone could find something they like amongst that lot... haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paperhouse

Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers.Because we all need a bit of jojo in our lives.The Cocteau Twins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

If you're into metal instrumentals then I recommend Cloudkicker. It's one guy doing everything and sounds alot like Isis or Pelican. Also it's completely free from Bandcamp.com

http://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Would recommend listening to Anathema!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Thin Lizzy
    Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music
    The Cars
    Duran Duran
    Robert Palmer
    The Police
    A-Ha
    INXS
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Keane
    Aerosmith
    Queen
    The Jam
    Tears For Fears
    Simple Minds
    Genesis
    Bon Jovi
    Electric Light Orchestra
    The Who
    The Kinks
    The Beatles
    U2
    Roy Orbison
    The Blades
    Blur
    Garbage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

The Cure
    The Beatles (although not the song I named myself after)
    Pink Floyd
    Radiohead
    Barenaked Ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

some of my faviorite bands are :

greenday
    the blackout
    avenged sevenfold
    lost prophets
    young guns
    mcr
    nevershoutnever