Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murder in defense of another?

• 13-08-2010 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hey, I was just wondering if Christianity has anything to say on the following:

So you are walking down the street, you see someone about to stab another person. You are carrying a gun. So as they go to stab the other person, you point the gun at the back of the attackers head and get ready to shoot.

Is there anything specifically stated in Christianity about wether you should pull the trigger or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sh1t. Wrong forum obviously.....

Reposted. No need to move. Lock her up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well as an atheist I believe you should take advantage of the situation and kill as many people as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Science teacher used to say that it's better for it to be your word versus a dead man's than your word against a criminal's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

strobe wrote: »
    Is there anything specifically stated in Christianity about wether you should pull the trigger or not?
    My understanding of christianity suggests that the best thing you could do is to follow Jesus' example, and commit suicide to demonstrate your love for the sinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

KILL THEM, KILL THEM ALL!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think it's condoned unless the other person is gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dades wrote: »
    I think it's condoned unless the other person is gay.

Think you're allowed just pistol whip them if it's a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I sometimes hear god in my head, he says kill them all and their puppies as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

So you are walking down the street, you see someone about to stab another person. You are carrying a gun. So as they go to stab the other person, you point the gun at the back of the attackers head and get ready to shoot.

Well for those following the much loved Golden rule you'd have to ask yourself "If I was about to stab someone, would I want a random stranger to shoot me in the head?" The answer being "probably not" means that you leave them alone.
    I sometimes hear god in my head, he says kill them all and their puppies as well...
    If you listen carefully, does he say anything about giving me your cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

There's no mention of guns in any Abrahamic text. I reckon you'd be well within your rights to whip out your slingshot though.

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    If you listen carefully, does he say anything about giving me your cash?
    He does ! After I kill you I need to make a sizeable donation to the church to pay for a condo in heaven for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

After I kill you I need to make a sizeable donation to the church to pay for a condo in heaven for you.
    I thought the catholic church disapproved of condos.

I've been reliably informed he's not getting a condo in heaven but a half-built Spanish hotel in hell. But that's meant to be a surprise for him so keep shtum about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I think that murder in defence of another is wrong because I think defending others is wrong. If you do ever prevent someone from killing someone else it should only ever be because you want to kill them yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

robindch wrote: »
    My understanding of christianity suggests that the best thing you could do is to follow Jesus' example, and commit suicide to demonstrate your love for the sinner.

But only after he's killed the poor other guy. Then you can balance it all out by tunnelling a slug through your own head to make a different yourself feel better about it.

That's how it works, right?

Or are you supposed to give someone else the gun and passive-aggressively force them into a position to shooot you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Basically, you can do whatever you want, so long as you're really really really really really sorry afterwards, then God will forgive.

Just don't take his name in vain, cos then you're royally fúcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think your a little confused Dades....

pretty sure it's condor2.jpg not condos

Thats why there are so few left, the vatican have specially trained swiss gaurd snipers that travel the world hunting them because one ate the robin that landed on Jesus' shoulder that time. I saw a documentary about it, that time I ate those mushrooms in the field beside my grannies house when I was 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Hey, I was just wondering if Christianity has anything to say on the following:

If the victim was bald, the stabber a youth of indeterminate age who insulted his baldness, and your gun shoots bears, then I think you can go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

If the victim was bald, the stabber a youth of indeterminate age who insulted his baldness, and your gun shoots bears, then I think you can go for it.
    I think you have to do it for profit or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Now it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out to his brethren and looked at their burdens. And he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren. So he looked this way and that way, and when he saw no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. And when he went out the second day, behold, two Hebrew men were fighting, and he said to the one who did the wrong, "Why are you striking your companion?" Then he said, "Who made you a prince and a judge over us? Do you intend to kill me as you killed the Egyptian?" So Moses feared and said, "Surely this thing is known!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Now it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out to his brethren and looked at their burdens. And he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren. So he looked this way and that way, and when he saw no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. And when he went out the second day, behold, two Hebrew men were fighting, and he said to the one who did the wrong, "Why are you striking your companion?" Then he said, "Who made you a prince and a judge over us? Do you intend to kill me as you killed the Egyptian?" So Moses feared and said, "Surely this thing is known!"

So... it's ok to kill Eqyptians is where we're going with this? Or it's ok if you dispose of the body afterwards.

Getting lessons from stories is hard :confused:

I kept reading and found this:
    The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. 24God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. 25So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.
    That's so funny, I don't know where to start.
    He "remembered"! Is he like one of us "oh no I forgot to lock the car" "oh yeah I know those guys, I think I promised them something"
    and he was concerned... couldn't have been that concerned if he left them there that long...
    oh man

I'll stop now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hmm, this one is tricky. The gentleman wielding the knife, on a scale of 1-10, how rich and white is he?

Advertisement