Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera advice Canon 20d vs 350d

• 13-08-2010 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm looking into buying a reasonably priced DSLR and have narrowed it down to the above, just going to get the kit lens or maybe body only and a cheap but fast 50mm Canon Prime lens??
    any suggestions or advice gratefully received??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Equal price?

I'd say 20D easily:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html#better

What about a 30D? They can be got for cheap enough used nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 uns12345

Yeah I am starting to think that the 20d would be better. Everything I'm looking at is second hand so the 350d and 20d are fairly equal on price. As to the 30d its still a bit more expensive and I'm not sure the extra features merit it, the only thing I would like is the spot meter which would be a bonus, I'm not worried about the LCD size or anything.
    thanks for the advice,
    any views on the kit lens for the 30d/20d??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I started with a Sony dslr after a fuji bridge cam and now use Nikon, so I'm not familiar with Canon tbh :D

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is supposedly a cracker, but then, most 50mm primes are. Definitely look to getting one of those babies. The mark 1 looks much nicer and tougher than the mk II version. And you'll probably get it cheaper used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'm just after buying a second-hand 30D, with the 18-55 kit lens. Bought it in Conn's and I'm really happy with it (and with the service). €520 got me the body, lens, a uv filter and a 4gb cf card.
    There is about €100 in the difference between the 20D and 30D, so it's really up to you whether you feel the extra features are worth it. I find the spot metering really helpful though.
    While the kit lens feels quite light (especially compared to something like the efs 17-85mm) I'm very happy with the images I've gotten with it. If this is your first DSLR, it might be better to start with the kit lens, which gives you the option of going wider, while still having a 50mm focal length available to you.
    Best of luck with the purchase anyway! :)

Edit: Also, with regards to the 20D vs the 350D, I much prefer the feel of the larger camera (i.e. the 20 or 30D) to the smaller lighter 350D body. The wheel on the back of the camera is also very useful when you're shooting in manual mode. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Another head to head review -

http://www.whichlens.com/index.php?blog=5&title=canon_350d_vs_canon_20d_comparison_revie&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I'm sure if you Google you'll find a few 20D v 30D reviews too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement