Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

It's part of the Summer of Arcade, so I'd guess it's download only.

Tempted to pick this up. Just got Monday Night Combat (It's a Team Fortress clone! It's an RTS! It's got an identity crisis!) though and Scott Pilgrim's next week isn't it?

When's the SoA offer over does anyone know. Might stretch to this and Limbo with a few weeks breathing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So save me from going mad here but am I right in thinking some of the collectibles are only obtainable in co-op ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, the single player game is completely tailored for single player.
    What one are you stuck on?

Mr E wrote: »
    Nope, the single player game is completely tailored for single player.
    What one are you stuck on?

2nd level a red skull, I'll have to replay it to get it as it becomes inaccessible after a point, but it's on the roof of a temple with a water fall above it. It's on the path you take for the sundial middle one over the river and the bridge, the falls apart.

But also I missed 3 or 4 other artifacts that I couldn't even see after spending an hour on the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

calex71 wrote: »
    So save me from going mad here but am I right in thinking some of the collectibles are only obtainable in co-op ?

The way the puzzles work is that in co-op, you use each other as winch points, stepping stones and such. In single player, there are blocks and hooks to facilitate the same actions on your own.

Finished it earlier, got a nice pair of Avatar outfits for completing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the first level last night. Fun game, and can see myself actually being interested in the co-op!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

2nd level a red skull, I'll have to replay it to get it as it becomes inaccessible after a point, but it's on the roof of a temple with a water fall above it. It's on the path you take for the sundial middle one over the river and the bridge, the falls apart.

That took me a few tries to get. You throw a spear on ground level, then you walk up the hill infront of the temple and throw another. Then walk further up again and throw the last spear into the side of the temple. The jump from the side is smaller than trying to jump up the front of the temple

That took me a few tries to get. You throw a spear on ground level, then you walk up the hill infront of the temple and throw another. Then walk further up again and throw the last spear into the side of the temple. The jump from the side is smaller than trying to jump up the front of the temple

Ta , I worked it out after have to do the same to get a relic on top of a pilar with noting else in the room to work with , sure wasn't I trying to roll a boulder in from outside and everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's part of the Summer of Arcade, so I'd guess it's download only.

Tempted to pick this up. Just got Monday Night Combat (It's a Team Fortress clone! It's an RTS! It's got an identity crisis!) though and Scott Pilgrim's next week isn't it?

When's the SoA offer over does anyone know. Might stretch to this and Limbo with a few weeks breathing room.
    just be aware limbo is class dont get me wrong but short and i cant see much replay value tbh unless they release dlc

very good game though

played the demo today defo pickin this up great gameplay

• Advertisement

Just finished it now. Brilliant game. I'd put money on one of the 5 DLC packs being a Horde mode. The gameplay is so well suited to it.

5½ hours from start to finish, and I'm jumping back into level 1 to start on the missing artifacts (with all my great new weapons) :)

Just finished it now. Brilliant game. I'd put money on one of the 5 DLC packs being a Horde mode. The gameplay is so well suited to it.

5½ hours from start to finish, and I'm jumping back into level 1 to start on the missing artifacts (with all my great new weapons) :)

The hardest will be the ones tied to the completion time of the level i think :eek:

For sure. Not too bad when you know the level (and just roll past the enemies). You just need to know the level layout pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

have tried some of the time trials. Even when avoiding enemies, and rolling straight to the objectives I STILL have some minutes to shave....gonna be a long road :/

You can shave off a decent chunk off your times by bombing the balls instead of pushing them (like on level 1 where the 2 balls are on a high ledge).

am i right in thinking the dlc packs are gonna be free for this when released

am i right in thinking the dlc packs are gonna be free for this when released

Just the 1st one ray , think I posted a link further up. It's only gonna be free for 30 days too.

You can shave off a decent chunk off your times by bombing the balls instead of pushing them (like on level 1 where the 2 balls are on a high ledge).

Am i the only one crossing my legs at such a suggestion :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Managed to fully complete it yesterday. Was really enjoyable, and it's straight-forward enough to get all the achievements. One of the better downloadable titles I've played.

All but one. That Tomb Raider achievment will take ALOT of work.

• Advertisement

All but one. That Tomb Raider achievment will take ALOT of work.

Yeah it took me a good few hours to do it, but it's very doable. Just takes time and a fair bit of patience! Nothing too difficult though in terms of skill level, maybe for some of the timed levels but I don't think any took me more than 3 tries.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yeah it took me a good few hours to do it, but it's very doable. Just takes time and a fair bit of patience! Nothing too difficult though in terms of skill level, maybe for some of the timed levels but I don't think any took me more than 3 tries.

I'm finding I'm having an easier time replaying the level straight away for a timed run while it's still fresh in mind. There have been a couple i've skipped out of rage with it :D

I'm finding I'm having an easier time replaying the level straight away for a timed run while it's still fresh in mind. There have been a couple i've skipped out of rage with it :D

Yeah you have to get familiar with the level first alright. I'd already played through the whole campaign co-op. Then I went through each level on single-played tryign to find all items and beat the score challenge, once I had that done I'd do the speed run while the level was fresh in my head. So I'd end up playing a level around 5 times maybe in all. Some levels were longer though.

The real headache one for a speed run for me was I think the first one where you have the balls on the pressure plates to open the gate, then have liek a gauntlet run straight after.

Tip for that level
    You don't need the final ball for the last pressure plate, you can just stand on it and the gate will open. Gives you like an extra minute and a half for the gauntlet run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Playing this at the moment, I think I'm on level 5 or so.

Excellent game and well worth the money. With good XBLA games you often get more overall enjoyment and playtime than a premium €60 title. GoL is definately one of those.

So far there's little repetition. The isometric and 3D element works perfectly.

I'm nearly finished with all of the collectibles. I have 4 left:

1. Top score on Jaws of Death
    2. Top score on Stronghold Passage - very tough -
    you can't die and can't take damage
    3. Under 15 minutes on Stronghold passage
    4. Under 6 minutes on Mirrors Wake.

So close....

New DLC out tomorrow. It has been patched up to enable online co-op, and a new area has been added. The DLC (called "All the Trappings") is free for 30 days on XBLA.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/26/free-lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-dlc-arrives-oct-27-on/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just played through this recently and really enjoyed it. Was initially weary about buying it, but was worth every cent really - lots of content, lots of fun.

If anyone is up for an hour of online co-op some night this week (Xbox) I'd be game :) Just to score those last few co-op achievements.

Its out now (and free as advertised!)
    Four new challenge maps filled with hordes of undead enemies and devious traps you must maneuver and exploit to survive.

Add to your download queue.

Advertisement